Author Topic: SPECULATING ON SPECS  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Re: SPECULATING ON SPECS
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2002, 04:52:10 PM »
    I think Cyrus Longworthy's glasses were special sorta like Clark Kents.  When the mild mannered Cyrus slipped off his glasses he became Super"homocidal pervert" man.[evily]

ROTLOL!!!!!!!!!That's a hoot Onyx Treasure :)
I seem to recall Elizabeth having reading glasses.
And the very first sheriff on DS wore glasses.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2002, 11:48:09 AM »
I never saw Barnabas don specs, but Jonathan Frid wore them in some of the photos I saw in magazines when back then.

Robin I seem to remember him wearing reading glasses one time on the show when he was sitting at his desk at the old house writing a letter to Elizabeth about "his cousin Adam"  from England who was soon to arrive. I remember thinking this strange because I had never seen him wear glasses on the show before.  He did look good in them too! :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2002, 07:17:48 PM »

Speeking of specs, I can't wait to get rid of mine. I am scheduled for Lasik vision correction surgery on Oct. 24th.  

All right Cheryl!  I've loved my eyes since that surgery .. got it 1 1/2 years ago. . and i'd worn glasses since the 5th grade!  
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2002, 07:22:08 PM »
I never saw Barnabas don specs, but Jonathan Frid wore them in some of the photos I saw in magazines when back then.

Count Petofi wore those huge Coke bottle lenses, as I recall.

Let's talk about how they ALL wore glasses but not on screen.. .vanity you know. . i don't think i've ever seenn a picture of VM in glasses but she said she had the worst eyesight.  And thank goodness Dr. Hoffman never wore Grayson's shaded, round specs. ..Barnabas might've looked too modern with JF's...
Julia99

Nancy

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2002, 08:03:44 PM »
Let's talk about how they ALL wore glasses but not on screen.. .vanity you know. . i don't think i've ever seenn a picture of VM in glasses but she said she had the worst eyesight.  And thank goodness Dr. Hoffman never wore Grayson's shaded, round specs. ..Barnabas might've looked too modern with JF's...

My understanding is that not wearing glasses on TV had more to do with the fact that glasses pick up a glare and reflection from the lighting and that would wreak havoc on the camera shots.  The lighting (and cameras) became more sophisticated in time. The cameras want to be able to zoom in on the face for closeups and reflections would obviously greater hamper closeups for that reason. Talk about a character becoming a beacon of light . . ;)

Characters who were to wear glasses for character-driven reasons would not have glass in the frames.

Nancy

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2002, 11:41:00 PM »
I know that when I acted in our school musical last Spring, we were not supposed to wear glasses. I had to take my glasses off for all dress rehearsals and performances, and luckily, I am near-sighted, so I could at least see everything that was going on on stage clearly. I think the reasoning was because of the lights. Also, we performed "Titanic", and it was thought that glasses would mess up the costumes and such.

-Lindsey

P.S. The word "specs" reminds me of the car I drive. It is so little, all my friends call it "The Spec".
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2002, 12:31:40 AM »
There is also some other anecdote out there about Grayson wearing glasses in a play after DS.  She was going to just wear her own glasses but could see the audience. . Therefore, she decided NOT to wear them. . .[lghy]
Julia99

Nancy

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2002, 12:35:31 AM »
There is also some other anecdote out there about Grayson wearing glasses in a play after DS.  She was going to just wear her own glasses but could see the audience. . Therefore, she decided NOT to wear them. . .[lghy]

That is pretty funny.

Nancy