Author Topic: David Darts  (Read 2652 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
David Darts
« on: October 11, 2002, 11:43:27 PM »
How in the world can the Collins family trust David with darts?! They didn't look like the fake kind, and since David has been acting odd lately (and in the past), I know I wouldn't trust him with them! I was half expecting him to try to hit Barnabas with one of them.

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
Re: David Darts
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2002, 12:11:17 AM »
Good question!  All the same I really loved that scene with David being a bratty little boy and Barnabas suitably irritated.  It almost seemed normal!  [lghy]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2002, 03:03:06 AM »

I still remember getting a dart thrown at me when I was a kid in the early 70's and it stuck in my leg. A bunch of us neighborhood kids were playing outside, somebody threw a dart, and of course I was the one who got hit!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 11:22:17 AM »
Good question!  All the same I really loved that scene with David being a bratty little boy and Barnabas suitably irritated.  It almost seemed normal!  [lghy]

LOL!!

Actually seeing David playing any "normal" childhood games does seem a bit out of the ordinary.  Yesterday it was darts, then last week cards and jax! This is probably the only time the family has seen David behaving like a normal kid and suddenly they all find his behaviour "strange."

"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 01:16:57 PM »
I LOVED that scene.  That was hysterical - Barnabas as babysitter/stand-in dad.  ROFL
"David...MUST you do that in here?"  Priceless!
Ya know, that might be an interesting premise.

This doesn't have anything to do with it, but, ya know what I thought was funny in one of yesterday's shows?  Where Julia refers to Mrs. Johnson as a "repressed hysteric".  LOL
I guess she would know, huh?

This show gets funnier and funnier.

-CLC  ;D

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2002, 06:13:57 PM »
If you look closely at David's dart game you can see that it is the safe kind. The ends of the darts are suction cups, and not the pointed needle kind.  That's why David throws them so hard at the board, and at one point licks the end of the dart for better suction. In the 70's, velcro would replace the suction cups for a better stick.

I agree though, I wouldn't trust David Collins or David Henesy with real darts either!

Offline DSWayne

• Junior Poster
  • Another DS fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2002, 08:11:10 PM »
I have been a way for some time now... but I am back now!

:lol How funny you guys are about David playing with anything sharp, but you are all of course correct. I would not stay in a room whith him if he were throwing real darts.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2002, 08:57:55 PM »
Good to see you, DSWayne! [hello]

Yesterday it was darts, then last week cards and jax! This is probably the only time the family has seen David behaving like a normal kid and suddenly they all find his behaviour "strange."

So true!  This is a kid who, at 9, was rigging brakes.  But what bugs me is that by the time we see him doing these normal childhood things, he seems too old for them.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I sure wasn't interested in jax or darts or hide-and-seek then, and David Henesy is a year younger than me.  (I would still build a mean house of cards, though. ;))

I should've posted this under the Pet Peeves topic, but it drives me nuts that no matter how old he gets, he and the other young actors are still referred to as "the children".

But from now on they'll continue write for David as if he's much younger.  And once Hallie shows up, it becomes downright painful to watch it.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2002, 09:31:26 PM »
But from now on they'll continue write for David as if he's much younger.  And once Hallie shows up, it becomes downright painful to watch it.

It could have been worse.  Do you remember "Welcome back Kotter"?  All "the children" were in their late 20s, early 30s.  Can you see a 20-year old David riding on a horsey?::)
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2002, 10:32:51 PM »
Midnite Wrote:

"Painful" is the word!  Wasn't she suppose to be around 14 years old when she was on the show?   And they had her sitting on that Rocking Horse??? I can't tell you how ridiculous that looked.  She was way too old to play that part.

"Calamity Jane"

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2002, 03:36:18 AM »
So true!  This is a kid who, at 9, was rigging brakes.  But what bugs me is that by the time we see him doing these normal childhood things, he seems too old for them.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I sure wasn't interested in jax or darts or hide-and-seek then, and David Henesy is a year younger than me.  (I would still build a mean house of cards, though. ;))

I think I am a year or two older than Henesy if I remember right. I can't swear about other parts of the country, but I don't recall any kids actually playing with jacks at all. OK, they still made them, and I remember I did HAVE some. But they were kind of an historical oddity, very much along the lines of marbles. My kids wouldn't even know what the heck they are, I knew, but didn't care.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2002, 04:14:42 AM »
I think I am a year or two older than Henesy if I remember right. I can't swear about other parts of the country, but I don't recall any kids actually playing with jacks at all. OK, they still made them, and I remember I did HAVE some. But they were kind of an historical oddity, very much along the lines of marbles. My kids wouldn't even know what the heck they are, I knew, but didn't care.

Kuanyin,

Do you remember the game called pick-up-sticks?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2002, 04:56:48 AM »
I have to agree he was too old for Jax's.  Hide and seek games were very big though even at David's age.  We use to play it outside at night.  I think about that time we discovered real card games.  Got a kick out the the big deck of cards.  My nephew game me and his mother a pair as a joke has summer.  He was refering to the fact our vision isn't what it was suppose to be.  Wait until he is 40  and than has a glass of wine or two.  David would have enjoyed some of the not so nice games we played.  Sticking candles on coke cans and trying to scare people in their cars coming down a long road from a country bar hangout.  Let's just say that our mothers never knew we did this.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2002, 06:00:14 AM »
As to jacks and pick-up-sticks, I think those are things I mostly did with my mother.  I'm not sure if I played with other kids at those or not!!  So, I might have done it at an even older age than the kids here.

I think a lot depends on the individual children and peer pressure.  I remember a girl moving across the street and coming over and playing with my dolls.  In a way I think we might even have been 13, but perhaps just 11.  At any rate, she had already given away all of hers and missed it!

SLIGHT SPOILER

As to the David and Hallie stuff, I've always attributed that to the ghosts.  While David and Hallie were clearly too old for the toys, I figured they were being possessed by Tad and Carrie.  They seemed to be younger, but even if they weren't, kids back then probably didn't grow up as fast as modern kids do (even in the 60s let alone now!).
Josette

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2002, 09:38:25 PM »
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

As to the David and Hallie stuff, I've always attributed that to the ghosts.  While David and Hallie were clearly too old for the toys, I figured they were being possessed by Tad and Carrie.  They seemed to be younger, but even if they weren't, kids back then probably didn't grow up as fast as modern kids do (even in the 60s let alone now!).

Well, actually, no.  I think it depends on your interpretation of "growing up."

Carrie, at least, seemed like she was easily 15 or 16.  Tad wasn't around much because Henesy left the show, and both were clearly too old to be playing with dollhouses and rocking horses.

What you have to understand is that in that time period, girls commonly married very young.  Carrie, (who seemed to be into the flirting scene already--less interested in dolls than in men) could have been married as is and would not have been occasioned much comment.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga