Author Topic: Oh Dear: One Blogger Trashes Depp Shadows!  (Read 875 times)

David

Oh Dear: One Blogger Trashes Depp Shadows!
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:15:11 AM »
well, it's only one person's opinion. I do agree with the blogger that the relationship between Barnabas & Angelique shouldn't be funny: but I also think that Burton & Depp will get the material right.

http://www.chud.com/43208/oh-dear-dark-shadows-might-suck-after-all/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Dear: One Blogger Trashes Depp Shadows!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »
There really isn't anything is that blog piece that we haven't said in the Depp/DS film's topic here on the forum. And considering that there are both contradictory remarks coming out and contradictory reports being posted, it's hard to know who's reporting the facts, who's embellishing on their own, and who's only revealing part of the picture. Though somehow, given how secretive he insists on being when it comes to his films, I suspect that Tim Burton loves every minute of the fact that we don't have the full picture...

David

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:32:03 AM »
It's one thing for people to comment on what they do & don't want to see, but how can anyone critique a film that hasn't been made yet?

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 02:15:11 PM »
I completely understand where he's coming from. I hope he's wrong, it sounds that he hopes he's wrong.

Set in the 70's? So the Blue Whale will be a disco? Will it look like Count Yorga or DS? And for the record if I had to say that the setting was for the original I'd say the late '60s.

To me he was expressing his fears based on what people connected with have said. That's what we all are doing, expressing our hopes and fears for this movie. None of us know what we're going to get, but what else can you go by other than what those connect with it are saying?
May you die before you want too.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »
The writer of that article is a she, not a he, and her memories of the show (Frid's sideburns?) are fuzzy.  One thing you have to remember is the 20 and 30-something "movie geek" community are pretty burned out on Burton at the moment, and the last two Burton/Depp collaborations especially; that's this movie's real uphill battle.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:44:25 PM »
Maybe the movie is being designed as a sequel to hoDS.  That would certainly explain why no casting has been mentioned for Roger, Carolyn, David, Stokes, et al. although Julia was of course one of the victims of the hoDS story as well.

This thought just occurred to me while pondering the recent Burton/Depp oeuvre and the fact that they made Alice in Wunderkind as a sequel...

It's all complete speculation.  And I'm really surprised at the emotional heat of the notion of their being humor in the movie.  There was lots of humor in our series, starting with Roger's deliciously acid use of sarcasm, Liz's drop-dead wielding of "the freeze," some of Willie's shrugging little asides, Quentin's withering retorts in 1897, some of Magda's earthy comments... LOTS of explicitly witty moments I can think of.

I personally can live without the trademark fancy-pants Goth-chick-on-K humor of some of the Burton product, but I don't automatically assume... at this point... that that is what we're in for here.

G.