Author Topic: Robservations 10/9/02 - #682/683 - Beth Gives Amy a Gift  (Read 1966 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 10/9/02 - #682/683 - Beth Gives Amy a Gift
« on: October 09, 2002, 02:48:56 AM »
682 - (Thayer David) - A nocturnal storm rages over Collinwood, but most of the residents of the great house are asleep. The hour is late. In one bedroom, a child sleeps peacefully, lost in a deep, dreamless sleep. The child has terrorized those who suspect he's not as innocent as he seems. Another bedroom of the great house is empty, the bedroom belonging to Maggie Evans. For she has experienced terror this night. She has roamed the darkened halls of Collinwood, sleepless. For she is beginning to realize that strange forces exist in this house, forces bent on destruction, forces beyond her control--and that knowledge will place her in ever-mounting danger.

Maggie stands in the drawing room, staring out at the storm. Mrs. Johnson comes in--I was locking up, she says--turn off the lights before you go up. Maggie asks the housekeeper about the man she saw in Matthew Morgan's cottage. Mrs. J protests, shivering--I don't even like to think about him. I saw the same man, Maggie tells her--tonight. Mrs. J is shocked--I didn't imagine him? Neither of us did, says Maggie grimly, I saw him in the West Wing.
He's here in the house, asks Mrs. J? Yes, says Maggie, and the two of us are the only ones who believe he exists.

The West Wing storage room door opens. We see Mr. Jughans and Quentin standing there. The ghostly Quentin has a crooked half-smile on his face.

Mrs. Johnson wants Maggie to tell Liz. I already have, says Maggie, and she believed me, at first, but now thinks it was only a figment of my imagination--because of David. Maggie describes what happened when they found the clothes mannequin--Liz believed David, because she wants to believe everything he says. David knows something about the man, as does Amy, the women agree. The kids are wicked, insists Mrs. J. Maggie doesn't feel the children are responsible--that man, whoever or whatever he is, has some sort of terrifying control over them. What should we do? asks Mrs. J. Watch them closely, advises Maggie--the kids need our help. Both agree they're afraid of the children, but this must be done. We should go to bed, says Maggie, turning off the light--we'll talk in the morning. Maggie advises Mrs. J to lock her door, then wishes the frightened housekeeper good night. Mrs. Johnson turns off the foyer light and goes to the kitchen. It's 2:20 AM.

Maggie lies sleeping in her room. It's 4:10 AM. She dreams: She rises from sleep and drifts to the window, where her curtains are billowing. She leaves her room. The clock in the dream says 4:10, too. She walks down the hallway. In the West Wing, she enters the storage room and finds Mr. Jughans, who metamorphosizes into Quentin. He's malevolently gazing at her as she asks who he is and what he's doing here. He smiles at her, breathing heavily. He takes a scarf from his coat, twists it around his hands, and tests the strength. "Stay away from me," Maggie cries, but Quentin loops the scarf around her throat and strangles her, taking her down to the floor. He rises, staring down at her body, his eyes wide.

Drawing room - Maggie describes the awful dream to Barnabas the following morning. I was lying there, dead, she says, and he was standing over there.
Maggie realizes Barnabas thinks it was only a dream, but to her, it was a warning to leave Collinwood. (I loved when he asked her, "What do you think it was?" sounding like a typical shrink.) It might have been, he agrees. Maggie is surprised he believes her. I think you DID see the man, says Barn, and he's a definite threat to the house. Maggie is relieved Barnabas believes her. I didn't imagine what I saw, says Barnabas--a strange woman dressed in clothes of another period--Julia saw her, too--she led us out of this house to Chris' cottage at a time when Chris needed Julia's help--he was quite ill. Maggie wonders what it all means. Barnabas says he intends to find out--I'll call Stokes--if anyone can find out anything, he will--when will Liz and Carolyn will be out of the house? Tonight, says Maggie, they're going to Bangor for dinner. (Sneaky pair here!) Good, says Barn, I'll ask Stokes over this evening and see what we can learn--you tend to the children, be as natural as you can. That won't be easy, says Maggie. Do it, says Barnabas, the children must not know we're onto anything. Maggie is grateful he believes her, that she and Mrs. Johnson aren't alone in this. I'll do whatever I can to help you, promises Barnabas. He sends her to tend to the children, his face filled with concern.

7 PM - Barnabas describes to Stokes how he and Julia saw the woman on the stairs.
Barnabas offers to help the professor, but Stokes reminds him of Madame Findlay and what happened when he brought her to Collinwood--she died of a heart attack, but she was a strong woman in the prime of life with no previous heart condition, and I don't believe she died a natural death--I think something in the house, some force, killed her--I believe that, and I also believe that she might be able to help us--if something in the house killed Janet, her spirit still exists here--we will hold a seance and try to reach her spirit--if we succeed, she might be able to tell us everything we want to know.

In the hallway, Maggie and Mrs. Johnson discuss how relieved they are that the kids have gone to Bangor with Liz and Carolyn (I thought Quentin decreed they couldn't leave the house?) They behaved like angels at lunch, says Mrs. J., and David always complains about the meals I fix--I didn't leave them alone for a minute. Neither did I, says Maggie. They go into Maggie's room, where she brushes her hair. Mrs. J comments that they kids didn't have much time to get into mischief today. Maggie cautions her they have to keep watching. Mrs. J promises to help, even though she's afraid of them. Maggie says they behaved like ordinary kids with her. They marvel over how ordinary the kids can seem at times, and how hard it is to believe they're involved in all this. Mrs. Johnson sits down at Maggie' desk and picks up a scarf, toying with it in her hands. Maggie looks in the mirror and sees the scarf in the housekeeper's hand's. "In my dream, I'm strangled with this sash," says Maggie, voice trembling.

Maggie, Barnabas Stokes and Mrs. Johnson are seated around the seance table in the drawing room. Stokes holds the scarf. Maggie asks him what it was doing in her room. Stokes doesn't know, but perhaps they can find out--they will try to communicate with Mrs. Findlay. Barnabas says Stokes thinks she might be able to help them. Mrs. J makes a face--communicating with dead spirits makes her shudder. She doesn't want to do it, but Stokes says she must--only she and Maggie saw the strange man, and Janet's spirit may try to speak through one of them. Barnabas kindly tells Mrs. Johnson she HAS to do this. (An amusing moment) Mrs. J protests. Maggie reminds her she's also scared, but if they can find out anything--anything at all¢â‚¬¦ All right, agrees Mrs. Johnson, reluctantly. The sooner they begin, the sooner it will be over, advises Barnabas. Stokes has them put hands on the table, fingers touching, and reminds them not to break the circle. He tells them to think only of Janet Findlay--concentrate on her alone and clear your minds of everything but her image. Stokes calls to Janet Findlay, asking her to hear them--speak to us from beyond the grave--hear us, he intones, if you're in the room, give us a sign--we need your help. Stokes senses a presence in the house and asks it to make itself known. Sarah Johnson snatches her hands out of the circle. Stokes warns her, "Your hands!" She apologizes, replacing them on the table. As Stokes calls, we see the door upstairs on the landing opening. A spirit comes downstairs and enters the drawing room. Mrs. Johnson goes into a trance, asking "Why did you call me?" Stokes asks if she's Janet Findlay. Yes, she says. What happened? he asks.
"The children," she says, "the panel, the room." Stokes asks for more explicit details. "I found that room, I waited there for something to happen, and then, then. . .he killed me! He killed me!" she cries, and collapses on the table.

NOTES: Pretty exciting, and the performances were exemplary today. See how close and domestic Maggie and Barnabas are becoming? I enjoyed seeing them as co-conspirators, and it was fun to watch Maggie bonding with Mrs. Johnson in their shared terror. Liz is doing David a serious disservice in always believing him, always wanting to think him good.

Now that Janet Findlay has spoken from beyond the grave, will they come any closer to figuring out what's happening? She's revealed that "he" killed her, but of course, no name. WE know, and so do the kids. Will the living be able to forestall the dead?

683 - (Don Briscoe) - The great house of Collinwood appears majestic and serene in the fading afternoon sun, but there is no serenity within its walls. For Collinwood is a house that contains many secrets, dark, ominous secrets, and those why try to uncover them will find themselves in great danger. On the previous night, a seance was held, and the spirit of a woman was contacted. Her words will lead to the uncovering of other secrets, dangerous secrets. And those who are attempting to unravel the mysteries of Collinwood will find themselves in greater peril than they realize!

Black and white episode - We see a candle burning, wax dripping heavily down the sides.

Barnabas tells a shocked Julia that they learned that Mrs. Findlay was murdered, but she didn't give any indication of who did the deed--during the seance, Mrs. Johnson went into a trance and Madame Findlay spoke through her, reveals Barnabas. Mrs. F spoke of the children, a panel, waiting in a room, and said she'd been murdered--after that, Mrs. Johnson collapsed. Julia wonders why she mentioned the kids. Barnabas has three ideas in mind, and before revealing them, he goes outside the drawing room's double doors to make sure no one is eavesdropping. First, the kids might be in some kind of danger; second, the kids know who the murderer is; third, incredibly--the children themselves killed Madame Findlay. Amy appears up on the landing, staring down.

Julia finds the concept that the kids could have done away with the medium incredible. Why would they do, it, and how? Barnabas doesn't know, and wants to discount the possibility. Julia feels the second choice is the best--the kids know something they aren't telling. Barnabas agrees; he can't believe the kids are totally innocent, their behavior is too strange. Barn doubts he can get the children to admit anything; David is too clever--I don't want the kids suspicious of me, either. Barnabas agrees to speak to Amy; Julia volunteers to go get her. She finds Amy in the foyer holding an apple and a jump rope. Barnabas wishes to speak to you, says Julia. Amy willingly goes in and sits down next to Barnabas. He asks if she recalls Madame Findlay. Yes, says Amy--the woman asked me a lot of funny questions--I don't remember any of them, except that she went away--Mrs. Stoddard was looking for her. Julia lies that Madame Findlay was found--and fine. Amy has no idea where Mrs. Findlay went, however, and asks to go out and play with David. Barnabas cautions them to return before dark, and the little girl leaves. Julia tells him she believes Amy was telling them all she knows. Barnabas isn't sure. Mrs. Stoddard felt they shouldn't tell the children of Madame Findlay's death, so Amy has no idea about the medium's demise. I watched Amy when she was speaking to you, says Julia, and I believe she knows nothing--we should speak to Chris about the strange woman who came to tell me Chris was dying. Barnabas reminds her, seeming annoyed, that Chris already told them he knows nothing about that woman. Julia feels he might know more than he's able to tell them--I have a plan-wait, I'll be right back.

In his cottage, Chris stokes up a nice fire. Amy visits him. He's happy to see her--I was coming to see you at Collinwood. I wanted to see you now, she says. He offers her a soda. She refuses. I'm happier than I have been in a long time, says Amy--because of you--you're going to be all right, she says, smiling. He wonders why he wouldn't be.
She tries to change the subject to her trip to Bangor yesterday, but he won't let her--I do want to hear about your trip, but. . . A knock at the door turns out to be Julia and Barnabas, who are surprised to see Amy there. David didn't want to play with me, she complains, so I came to see Chris instead. Julia suggests Amy return to Collinwood. Chris helps her into her coat, promising to see her later, hugging her goodbye. After she leaves, Chris tells them his sister is a strange kid, saying things he doesn't understand--she just told me I was going to be all right, and I had no idea what she meant. Julia asks him if he thinks Amy's changed since coming to Collinwood. He doesn't know. She asks about the strange woman who led them to him and saved his life--a tall blonde woman in a long, flowing dress--but Chris doesn't have a clue who she is. Julia asks him to trust them; she wants to hypnotize him--there might be a block in your conscious memory. He denies knowing anything about the woman. Barnabas says they must learn more about the mysterious woman, so Chris reluctantly agrees to go along, if they think it will do some good.

Amy walks home through the woods. She senses a presence and asks who it is. A woman touches her shoulder. She turns around--it's Beth, holding out a doll. Amy asks Beth why she's here. David is angry, says Amy--is Quentin angry, too?
Beth silently hands Amy the doll. "No," says Amy, "don't tell, I know."

Julia turns off the light. Do everything I tell you to, she reminds him. He sits on the sofa. Julia takes out the glittering medallion, tells him to clear his mind of all thoughts and listen to my voice. She coughs, then, twirling the medallion, asks him to see the light, watch the lights, concentrate on them. Chris agrees. She orders him to try to find the center of the light. He thinks. . .yes, he's found the center. "Good," says Julia. I want to ask you some questions and you will answer them honestly, she says. He agrees. She asks him about the tall blonde woman in a long, flowing white dress--do you know her?
Barnabas watches intently, listening carefully. No, says Chris, I don't know her. "Think, concentrate," says Julia. I never saw her and know nothing about her, he says. It's no use, Julia tells Barnabas, and snaps her fingers. Chris comes out of the trance. She tells him she believes he knows nothing about the strange woman--all three of them hoped he did. He apologizes for not being more forthcoming; he's disappointed, too. Barn and Julia take their leave.

Amy asks Beth why she wants her to do whatever it is she wants her to do. Beth puts a finger to her lips. All right, says Amy, no questions, she'll do it as long as no one gets hurt. Beth nods, reassuring Amy.

In the woods, Julia hears a sound, but Barnabas doesn't. Probably an animal, suggests Barnabas.

Amy calls to Beth, puzzled. She holds the doll, staring upwards.

At the front door of Collinwood, Julia asks Barnabas what they're going to do about Chris. What we have been, says Barn resignedly, until you come up with a better solution for him. What if I can't? she asks. I don't want to think about it, replies Barn. Julia says we must--if we can't help him, we've got to expose him, there's no other alternative. None, agrees Barnabas sadly.

Chris sits in the cottage. Ghostly, creepy music plays. He rises from his chair and leaves, passing by the window. He walks through the woods, then turns and sees Beth. "Who are you?" he demands, but quickly realizes, "YOU'RE THE WOMAN!"
He asks what she wants. She points to the earth. He asks if she can talk. She points to the tree. He's flabbergasted when she simply disappears.

At Collinwood, Julia asks Barnabas if he's seen Amy--she disappeared again. She must be in the house, says Barnabas, folding his newspaper. Maggie and Mrs. Johnson are searching, too. Barnabas goes to the servants' quarters and calls to Amy. He goes toward the study and calls to her. Someone knocks at the door. It's Chris, who bursts in and tells him, I saw the woman! He explains what happened. Take me to the spot where he saw her, says Barn, and off they go.

Amy exits the secret panel in Collinwood's drawing room, doll clutched in her hand.

Chris points out the plot of earth where Beth directed him. A shovel is now leaning against the tree; they figure out Beth arranged for it to be there. Barnabas says we should start digging, but Chris is the one who takes the shovel and begins to dig.

Amy sings "Rock a Bye Baby" to the doll in her arms. Julia tells her they've been searching everywhere for her, but Amy casually says she was down in the basement, playing, and found this doll--I want to keep it. Julia says it's very old--I suppose you can keep it. Amy promises to be very careful and not let anything happen to it.

Barnabas and Chris unearth a grisly find--a child's coffin. The lift it from the unmarked grave. We should open it, says Barnabas--the woman brought you there for a reason and that coffin must be why. Chris uses the shovel to open the small coffin and opens it¢â‚¬¦

NOTES: Who's in the coffin? What child died? Why did Beth give Amy the doll? What made Beth visit Chris--just to lead him to the infant's grave? What clue is she trying to provide to this mystery?

The mystery is mounting--are Beth and Quentin working together or against each other? We suspect the latter. What was their connection in life?

Love, Robin

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
Please colorize episode #683
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2002, 02:31:33 AM »
I wish they colorize episode #683.
Spencer H. Karter

DVD

Re: Robservations 10/09/02 - #682/683 - Beth Gives Amy a Gift
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 09:35:44 PM »
DVD episodes for September 2nd and 3rd.
The 7th and 8th episodes on Set#12/Disc#3 (2nd and 3rd episodes on MPI tape Volume #90)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 10/9/02 - #682/683 - Beth Gives Amy a Gift
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 10:15:03 PM »
These are *beautiful* captures for these two shows.

I really need to get these out of the vault and watch them again.  I'd forgotten about Mrs J attending the seance.  I just watched the shows about the seance in the Laura Collins '67 storyline and Mrs J's disapproving comments about the whole thing had me in stitches!

G.

Offline Angelina

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 01:01:33 AM »
These are *beautiful* captures for these two shows.

Indeed they are.  I especially love the first color one of Barnabas -- he looks so intelligent & intense.

The black & white (kinoscoped ep?) ones are very elegant & also eerie.  I kind of like kinoscope episodes because they give it that extra creepy gothic edge -- though sometimes the sound is a bit dodgy.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 05:40:59 PM »
Great episodes - I agree the latter one is more gothic(k) and haunting in black and white. And Don Briscoe doing the daily voice-over is always a treat ("...but there is no serenity within its walls..."). But my favorite is when Julia Hoffman whips out that Duncan yo-yo... er... medallion to hypnotize Chris, and is suddenly hit with a coughing fit. Almost looks like they cut the scene right after, as Grayson probably quipped, "I'll never put him under sounding like George Burns!"

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 02:15:09 AM »
But my favorite is when Julia Hoffman whips out that Duncan yo-yo... er... medallion to hypnotize Chris, and is suddenly hit with a coughing fit. Almost looks like they cut the scene right after, as Grayson probably quipped, "I'll never put him under sounding like George Burns!"

LMAO! Duncan yo-yo...  Sandor...you're a treasure.   ;D  :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*