Author Topic: Vera Marano  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Vera Marano
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:12:24 PM »
A friend recently mentioned Forum cousin VAM to me, and it made me wonder anew why she wasn't in last year's Costume Gala as she has been for years; she has said she began planning her costume almost as soon as the previous event was over.  Curiosity led me to find the following on legacy.com; if Vera's passing was reported in a more timely manner in fandom, my sincere apologies for missing it.  RIP, Vera.  DS fandom (not to mention Lara Parker) has lost one of its most consummate fans.

Elvira Anna Marano
Elvira Anna Marano of West Chester Elvira Anna Marano, 61, of West Chester and formerly of Drexel Hill, passed away on October 27, 2010 at her home. Born August 20, 1949 in Philadelphia, Elvira was the daughter of Rita Ann Marano and Henry J. Cianfrani, both deceased. She was a 1967 graduate of Merion Mercy Academy and a 1971 graduate of Drexel University, with a degree in interior decorating. She went on to earn her masters from Drexel in library science. Elvira is survived by her sisters, Mary Ellen Miller (Ralph Russell) and Maria C. Schaffer (Scott). She is also survived by five nieces, one nephew, one grand-niece and one grand-nephew. Relatives and friends are invited to her funeral Mass 10 a.m. Saturday, October 30, at Ss. Peter & Paul Church, 1325 Boot Rd., West Chester, PA 19380. Int. Holy Cross Cem., Yeadon. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to The Sisters of the Visitation, 5820 City Line Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131. Arrangements by The Donohue Funeral Home, 1627 West Chester Pike, West Chester, PA 19382, 610-431-9000. Online condolences at www.donohuefuneralhome.com.

Published in The Daily Local on October 29, 2010

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Vera Marano
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »
I was just thinking about Vera yesterday, so it feels especially eerie to see this sad news today.

Vera and I were friends for a number of years.  She was a generous lady and definitely one of the most creative people that I knew. Her costumes were some of the best I've ever seen; the costuming itself was always well-done, but she also chose characters who were somewhat below the radar.  I think my top favorite was Garth Blackwood, complete with a limp and chains.  Over time, she lost interest in DS fandom. Although she came to the Hollywood Halloween party in 2006, she didn't participate in any more Festivals after that.  I'm sorry to say that we fell out of touch during this time.  The last I saw of her was when she came to Newark for a day in 2009.  At that time, she admitted to me that she was fighting cancer.  I'm so sorry to see that her fight has ended this way.

Thank you for giving us this update, Midnite.  RIP, Vera.

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:12 AM »
At that time, she admitted to me that she was fighting cancer.

Oh gee - I was afraid it was something like that.

I'm so sorry to see that her fight has ended this way.

Indeed.

Back in 2002 she had shared some photos of her trip to FRIGHTVISION that were briefly viewable in the forum's Members' Archive. That section of the forum has been offline for years, and a return isn't planned until after we switch over to SMF 2.0. But if I can track them down, I'll post them here in this topic as a remembrance of what was a very happy time for her...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:36:52 AM »
Actually, I don't have to reach into the archive because I found this topic on Calendar Events / Announcements '02 II:

Here are photos of me and the GUYS in my life!

Dennis Patrick, VAM, & John Karlen

Robert Rodan, VAM, John Karlen, & Dennis Patrick

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:11:27 AM »
How sad.  But strangely fitting for a DS fan's funeral to be held Halloween weekend.

May she rest in peace.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:29:13 AM »
ProfStokes, I'm sure Vera was at the 2007 Tarrytown Fest.

Here's a tribute from an MS Word doc download on www.sandyovarian.org:

Vera, as we fondly called her, was born in Philadelphia PA and lived in Chester County with family for most of her adult life.   The symptoms of Ovarian Cancer whispered to Vera in May of 2006 – Vera listened but her doctors did not, so she was not diagnosed until six months later. She bravely fought through surgery and all the necessary cycles for the peritoneal chemo wash to go into remission.  Twelve months later the cancer returned and Vera continued her battle for two and a half more years, until Ovarian Cancer would as the doctors would say “have its way”.

Vera was a beloved sister, aunt, and great aunt.  She was our hero, a model for family, friends, workmates and acquaintances.  Her courage has committed all who knew her to continue her fight against this furtive killer.
Please support The Sandy Rollman Ovarian Cancer Foundation with donations to find a cure and contribute to Elvira Marano’s Living Legacy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
Oh my.  That is very sad to read/hear.

Thank you, Midnite, for finding out what happened to her. 

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Very sad news. I remember Vam when i first signed on to the DSF, and she posted quite a bit... always friendly, she would ask her questions almost in a teachers manner. The questions that she would ask...lol...she would tee them up belt high and down the middle, and it would give everyone a chance at a thought provoking answer, from the serious responses and those that werent quite so serious.....sort of the Ed Mcmahon(sp) to all of us Johnny Carsons out there..RIP Vam.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
I fondly remember Vera's unfailingly thoughtful and insightful postings here on the Dark Shadows Forums. In addition,  Vera was always interested in eliciting the opinions of her fellow posters.  I'm not surprised to learn that she held both a bachelor's degree and a master's degree;  Vera always impressed me with her quiet intelligence and steadfast consideration for others.

Occasionally,  Vera and I would send each other messages discussing Angelique and Barnabas; and also with Vera hailing from Philadelphia and me hailing from the Garden State, we used to goodnaturedly tease one another concerning the the long-running Philadelphia Phillie and New York Met rivalry.

As I recall, Vera sometimes engaged in "spirited" debates and disagreements with some of the other posters here.  However, I venture to say, that many of us from time to time, as well, have engaged in "spirited" debates and disagreements with some of our fellow posters over the years.  

It is so sad to realize that Vera did not live to celebrate her 62nd birthday this year.  After my father died one month shy of his 70th birthday, my cousin remarked to me how unfair it was that he did not have, at least, another ten years of life to spend with my mother and with his children.  My heart goes out to Vera's family; they were deprived of her vibrant personality and obvious joy of life far too soon.

Rest in Peace, Vera.  You are in my heart and prayers, and you will always be fondly and respectfully remembered by your fellow Dark Shadows fans and friends.