Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1165  (Read 932 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1165
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »
Robservations #1165

FAREWELL, DAVID HENESY!

This ep features David Henesy's last appearance on DS...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1165
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:05:41 PM »
David Henesy's last episode?  Oh, that's sad.  I would love to have seen what Tad did when he heard that his mother had testified against his father at the witchcraft trial.  And of course it's sad to see the last of Henesy.  Dan Curtis got lucky when he hired him.

Judah/Gerard hasn't taken an interest in the Joanna phenomenon so far, and he really should.  There is, apparently, a supernatural presence at Collinwood who is not under his control.  At the moment that supernatural presence is pushing events in a direction pleasing to Judah, but that state of affairs may not last.  Joanna has apparently switched her focus from Quentin to Joanna, but if she decides to wreak vengeance on Quentin, it could get in the way of the vengeance that Judah wants to wreak on Quentin.

Speaking of which - Judah's vengeance, I mean - is Quentin ever supposed to know what it's all about?  Because what's the use if vengeance if your victim doesn't know?  And supposing Quentin is told what it's all about it, what are the odds that he's going to say he never knew he had an ancestor named Amadeus, anyway?  I know Judah won't care and will go on with his precious vengeance, but he'll still look pretty silly, I think.

I was comparing Desmond to Peter Bradford today as I watched the court proceedings.  They're both pretty useless.  Desmond needs to stop fulminating; it can only antagonize the judges.  It's sort of cute, though.  Desmond keeps reminding me of a teddy bear, and teddy bears are cute when they're mad.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
I LOLed at that last remark, Lydia.   Desmond does seem on his way to igniting spontaneously because of all the outrage, and I'm sure it would be a cute and horrible death.

Well, I guess Tad's always going to be hanging out in another room from now on.  ***  As for Judah's revenge against later Collinses he never knew, a lot of people have thought of a person living on through descendants, and maybe a bit more than figuratively.  There are curses affecting subsequent generations.   A descendant is considered something like a reprinting of a book, some new version of something old.   This is all ridiculous, and because of this attitude, a lot of fathers expect the son to be just like them, as an obligation.   but then, in Collinsport, your descendants might very well look and act identically to you....

The judges think that earlier law (even colonial law... especially colonial law) trumps any and all later law.   By that thinking, the Supreme Court could find that the US still belonged to Britain....

I wonder what pitiful sum the two speak-no-evil judge actors are being paid for the scowling.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
Farewell to David Henesy! If he isn't hanging out in another room, he's probably in Boston.

Probably on Desmond's advice, Quentin has finally, finally shed his demonic ring now that his trial is starting. That alone makes Desmond much more useful that Peter Bradford ever was.

Samantha is vengeful almost to the point of recklessness in testifying against Quentin, who somehow doesn't seem surprised at this turn of events either. I guess she can't do anything by halves. I think it was still illegal for a wife to testify against her husband in 1840, but if the court believes that colonial laws supersede the U.S. Constitution, anything is possible.

As for Judah's vengeance, maybe he's just waiting for Quentin to be convicted and maybe even on the scaffold before he does his Big Fat Gloating Reveal. That way, he can enjoy watching Quentin dying a terrible, despairing death, knowing that his (Q's) descendants are hopelessly doomed. Judah certainly doesn't seem to be applying his satanic powers to the judges--at least not yet.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:30:19 PM »
The judges think that earlier law (even colonial law... especially colonial law) trumps any and all later law.   By that thinking, the Supreme Court could find that the US still belonged to Britain....

Laws that aren't removed from the books can often still be enforced. Sadly, it's happened time and time again in real life in the US...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »
But... British laws, after a war against Britain?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
The law that Quentin is charged under was a law that was passed in Massachusetts. While it was a colony, yes, but it was still Massachusetts' own law. And when Maine split off of Massachusetts to become its own state, the articles of Maine''s statehood specified that Maine must keep all the Massachusetts laws that were on the books while it was still a part of Massachusetts. The Revolutionary War doesn't really enter into it. The laws that the 13 colonies operated under and had passed on their own weren't all expunged after the colonies declared their independence. The laws on each colony's books were laws separate and apart from British law even though the colonies were considered to be a part of Britain. And it wasn't even like the 13 colonies shared the same laws - they each had their own.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
Wow, MB, sounds like you've done more than your share of homework. *bows low*