Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1156  (Read 750 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1156
« on: February 21, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1156
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:31 AM »
Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
And Trask is right there to pin the blame on Quentin.

Once there’s talk of strange happenings in and around Collinwood, seems like just about everybody is ready to jump on the bandwagon and crucify Quentin.

Man, is Gabriel a slime ball or what? But I love the character. Chris Pennock must have had a ball with this role.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
Trask was a busy little bee today.  I couldn't understand why anybody took him seriously.  "I'll shoot you, and then everybody will know you are guilty."  Huh?  When Trask finds the voodoo doll, that proves Quentin is guilty, and when Quentin finds the dead Randall, that proves Quentin is guilty, and if Trask shoots Quentin, that will prove Quentin is guilty.  Is there any possible event in the universe that would not prove Quentin is guilty?

Suddenly Samantha thought Trask was wonderful.  She took great pleasure in not allowing him to speak at Roxanne's funeral, but now he's the bee's knees.  The busy bee's knees.

I still am surprised that Trask is focusing on Quentin instead of Barnabas.  I suppose that's due to the influence of Judah/Gerard, but I wish we had seen a little more of Judah exerting his persuasive powers on Trask.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »
Another great fight scene with Quentin and Samantha.

Trask is so sure of himself that he offers Samantha tea in her own home. And yes, after she refused to let him speak at Roxanne's funeral. But then again, she's lost both her sibs in such a short time--maybe even only a few days--so she's bound to be completely stressed out.

Poor Quentin doesn't seem even the least bit surprised when he's arrested. For someone whom Daphne's ghost (in 1970) described as having a "will of iron," he sure isn't putting up much of a fight, is he?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:37:11 AM »
Interesting that Gabriel asks Samantha to keep him company, really seeming to be afraid to be on his own...   Then he quickly shifts from asking for companionship into picking away at her, sadistically looking for some tender area at which he could draw blood.   What's interesting is how automatic it all seemed.   It didn't seem calculated, not some trick Gabriel meant to pull on her.   

I think it's the only form of interaction Gabriel knows.   He never developed any alternate way of making conversation.   Poking fun ironically at trouble and strife is natural conversation to him.   He may think he should get away with it because he's so witty, but he isn't.   Quentin #2 was.   Gabriel is playing the same role Q2 was in 1897, of the clever black sheep delivering biting, brilliant sarcastic observations about his hypocritical family, but Q2 was the master.   Gabriel's smart in his own way (he figured out Gerard accurately enough), but not at sizing people up and going for the jugular effectively.   He's not even good at this one hobby of his.

Anyway, look how Gabriel morphs from asking for company into wondering (honestly I think) why Samantha does needlepoint... she says it's to occupy her mind, then Gabriel shifts to wondering what's in Sam's mind that she's distracting herself from, then he speculates on all her bitter thoughts and resentments... at this point it gets interesting for Gabriel, this casual entertaining banter he thinks they're having.  I'm sure Gabriel's glad Samantha stayed to keep him company.  She isn't.

I think this is the way Gabriel free-associates.   

Nice utter non-reaction from Sam to Randall's death, before the commercial anyway.  She looks calculating.   After the commercial, she makes a big display, obligatory tears...  I think she's honestly outraged that someone did this to her brother.

Stop talking to the camera, Constable!

What's that in the closing credits by the fireplace?  Looks like a fake book with a secret compartment, but my dying VCR won't make clear what's inside it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor