Author Topic: Just Wondering...  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Just Wondering...
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:46:33 PM »
Hey, gang,

Am I completely off base or does it seem that Gerard Stiles (a/k/a Judah Zachary) cast more incantations in the space of, say, 100 episodes or so of "Dark Shadows," than Angelique, Nicholas Blair and Count Petofi did COMBINED over three years of the show?

Bob

PS That Satanic cross which Gerard utilized so frequently on the show kind of looks like one of those additional, completely-free-of-charge kitchen utensils Ron Popiel includes with his miraculous cooking ovens, which Mr. Popiel regularly hawks on television.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Just Wondering...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:17:07 PM »
Hey Cousin BOB...

I recently completed my viewiing of 1840 and had thought the same thing.  I think it was nothing over that sloppy writing on the part of the writers.  Of that is my view.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
Bob, I think perhaps it's not too surprising that Gerard used more incantations than the people you mentioned.  Nicholas and Petofi had other interests: Nicholas was busy developing diabolical plans for his Master, while Petofi had his love of music (and possibly his love of Aristede, for a while) to keep him occupied.  And Angelique, being a woman, used magic to get what she wanted (or anyway, to try to get what she wanted) without being terribly concerned about the means.  But the whole revenge-upon-the-Collins thing really wouldn't have been much of a hobby, so there Gerard was, a man with too much time on his hands.  Naturally he played with his version of power tools.

I suspect this explanation may be open to refutation, but I like it anyway.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:27:32 PM »
And Angelique, being a woman, used magic to get what she wanted (or anyway, to try to get what she wanted) without being terribly concerned about the means.

Being a woman?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
I am a bit confused by the "being a woman" part of your post too Lydia. As Buffy would say could you explainy?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:25:09 PM »
What I was thinking about was the claim that men get all excited about how much power and memory and so on that their computers have and are always getting bigger and better computers just for the sake of having bigger and better, while all women care about is whether the computer can get the job done.

I myself (a woman, although, as MB said a while back, I can't prove it online) am perfectly happy with the computer that I bought in 2003.

What would version 2.0 of the mask of Baal be?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 10:33:50 PM »
Gotcha'!  I am male and Midnite can attest to that.  I understand what you mean. Men tend to want bigger and shinier toys. However, I am not the "average" male.  I don't necessarily have to have bigger. I just want something that works sufficiently. My old computer didn't work sufficiently so I bought a new one.  That being said, I did opt for a screen a little bigger than I really needed.  [snow_wink] However, when I bought a car it was the opposite. I just wanted something that would take me where I needed to go. So in that sense I went with a sensible car that wasn't new and wasn't shiny and expensive as most guys would probably go with.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »
I am male and Midnite can attest to that.
She can?  I'm not sure I want to hear any more.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 11:26:02 PM »
men get all excited about how much power and memory and so on that their computers have and are always getting bigger and better computers just for the sake of having bigger and better

Not all men do it just for the sake of bigger and better. The times I've upgraded my computer it hasn't been because I've simply wanted to, it's been because I've had to in order to run some sort of software or hardware. For example, the last time I upgraded it was because I wanted to install a Blu-ray drive in my computer because it was actually cheaper than buying a Blu-ray player/recorder. That was three years ago, and I'm quite content with what I have and don't foresee the need to upgrade again anytime soon...

I am male and Midnite can attest to that.
She can?  I'm not sure I want to hear any more.

I was just about to say something similar.  [snow_wink]  The mind actually boggles at how she knows for sure!  [snow_shocked]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:16:45 AM »
The mind actually boggles at how she knows for sure!  [snow_shocked]

LOL!

Lydia, didn't Nicholas often streamline his magic too?  The magic mirror that both of them used comes to mind, and how they needed a stake and hammer to dispatch a vampire, even ones they created themselves through magic.  And in terms of results, neither the witch or the warlock was efficient 100% of the time.  So even in just the DS universe, I can't call that a female thing.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
I guess you guys took that wrong or whatever. LOL  However, considering I recently spent five days with one of Midnite's friends I guess makes Midnite at least 99.9 % sure! ;)  HA!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 08:14:07 PM »
Not necessarily. Appearances can be deceiving and some people are brilliant at deception, so unless that friend did DNA tests on you...  [b003]