Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1151  (Read 740 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1151
« on: February 15, 2011, 02:42:28 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1151
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
I think it was in today's voiceover that it was mentioned that Judah Zachery was Angelique's teacher, and I thought about that when Gerard used voodoo on Desmond.  It's strange.  I assume that the original idea, when the character of Angelique was created in 1967, was that voodoo was the sort of thing that one picks up in a Caribbean location such as Martinique, but now we see it being used by a man who probably never went anywhere near the Caribbean, and we're being left to assume that it was he who taught voodoo to this woman who spent so much time in the Caribbean.

We also saw Gerard doing something that Angelique, to her credit (and it's rarely that I say that!) failed to learn from Judah: working to cause someone to love him not of that person's own free will.  I wish I could say that Angelique learned from her experience with Judah just how dreadful it is to be coerced, but obviously that's not the lesson she learned at all.

Desmond should have known better than to try to turn Quentin against Gerard.  What he needs to do is to go and ally himself with Barnabas and Julia - and wouldn't that be a fine trio: Barnabas, Julia, and Desmond! - but there's no way for him to know that.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
"I'm sure you've noticed the aimlessness of his life, says Flora as Gerard goes searching for the journal.  Yes, he says.  He should have studied law after he got his degree, says Flora.  Gerard says he's sure he could have been quite successful." 

I thought Desmond was a lawyer?

Gerard’s lust for Daphne must have carried over through his transition to Judah, because I can’t figure out why else Judah would be interested in Daphne.

"I want him out of this house, says Desmond.  Where would he go? asks Flora.  I don't care, insists Desmond.  I do, says Flora--he's invaluable here." 

Like how is Gerard invaluable?

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
Like how is Gerard invaluable?
Well, Flora claims that he cures her headaches--we've seen him do it. And she also thinks he's some kind of seer. Or something.

I thought Desmond was a lawyer?
I thought Desmond did study some law, but not enough to get a degree or certificate whatever they were handing out in 1840.

Gerard’s lust for Daphne must have carried over through his transition to Judah, because I can’t figure out why else Judah would be interested in Daphne.
I always thought Gerard (as himself) wanted Daphne because Quentin did too. And now that Judah is using Gerard as his means of revenge on the Collinses, I'm sure Gerard's lust only adds to the fun--for Judah, that is.

Okay, no more quotes: We don't really know what Judah did before he ended up in Bedford. He certainly seems old enough to have done a bit of traveling, so the idea of his knowing voodoo doesn't seem so far fetched to me. And Miranda/Angelique could already have known voodoo when she arrived in New England, so maybe Judah taught her, um, other things--knowing how to live forever has certainly come in handy for her. And he seems to be a pro at it, since he managed to continue existing even after decapitation. Anyway, just musings over coffee.