Author Topic: Matthew Morgan's cottage  (Read 3270 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Matthew Morgan's cottage
« on: October 05, 2002, 12:52:58 AM »
It has been a while since the beginning of the show, but I am thinking that the cottage we see Chris in bears no resemblence to the one Vicky visited Matthew in. Not that that's surprising. Anyone able to verify that? I still can't figure out why little Missy Hot Pants said that about him living there, it looks great to me. (Of course, we ALL know that she was just asking to be killed for her decidedly sexual aggressiveness.)

Carolyn tells Chris it is isolated and very private. And yet, when Mrs. Johnson gets the bejeebers scared out of her, the scream is loudly heard at Collinwood. And yet, Naggie has to ask the children where it is????? OK, Naggie's not the brightest bulb, so that doesn't mean a much as it could. But, I am sniffing some major contradiction.

For another topic, it seems Chris could be Naggie's intellectual match. He seemed completely mystified by Amy burning his shirt! It never occurred to him this could be a wise thing to do? It is a good thing that he is wearing relatively non-descript clothing, a bright paisley or such would be an instant revealer! (At least, he is THAT smart.) I can just hear Carolyn though, "That wild beast is wearing Chris's shirt! Oh no, he must have killed him and stolen his apparel! After all, Chris is WAY too cute for me to suspect HIM!"
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Morgan's cottage
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2002, 01:18:01 AM »
Kuanyin,  I was shocked when I saw an early episode (from the first weeks of 1966) and there was a scene where either Liz or Vicki walks out the front door of Collinwood, and the cottage is within plain sight a few yards away from the door!  In 1967 and beyond, it is made to seem a further distance away, and out in the woods.  Don't forget that the infamous Laura was using it as her safehouse.

I guess that the Parallel Time room wasn't the only spatio temporal anomaly on the grounds!  And the weirdness spread beyond the estate itself; sometimes Wyndcliffe Sanatarium is a short hike away, and other times, it's 100 miles away!

Gotta love our wonderfully whacky DS,

Gothy

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2002, 01:26:18 AM »
It has been a while since the beginning of the show, but I am thinking that the cottage we see Chris in bears no resemblence to the one Vicky visited Matthew in. Not that that's surprising. Anyone able to verify that?

It's the same "set" but it's been modified. In fact it was changed after Matthew's death when Laura moved in there. Prior to that, there was no fireplace (a necessity for Laura). A kitchenette area was originally seen where the fireplace wall is now.

Interestingly, when the "cottage" was first shown in the early eps when Matthew lived there, they used some location footage taken at a garage complex at the Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown. The "cottage" isn't really a cottage at all but rather part of a larger building connected to the garage area. They matched the front door, which has remained the same, but now we see trees and flowers outside the front door rather than a garage area.

Carolyn tells Chris it is isolated and very private. And yet, when Mrs. Johnson gets the bejeebers scared out of her, the scream is loudly heard at Collinwood. And yet, Naggie has to ask the children where it is????? OK, Naggie's not the brightest bulb, so that doesn't mean a much as it could. But, I am sniffing some major contradiction.

Well, actually "Naggie" (LOL - I LOVE that nickname!) and the kids were on their way down to the cottage when they heard the scream. No telling how close they were to it. The part I found unbelievable was Maggie not knowing where the place was. She's been to the estate many times, it's hard to believe she's never seen the place before.

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2002, 02:38:48 AM »
It does have the Collinsport standard afgan.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 07:55:08 AM »
The part I found unbelievable was Maggie not knowing where the place was. She's been to the estate many times, it's hard to believe she's never seen the place before.

What particularly surprised me about this was that when Mrs. Johnson was complaining about the place, Maggie said that it looked charming, and Mrs. Johnson said that the inside wasn't.  So, Maggie has obviously seen it before.  I suppose that being out in the woods, if she had seen it some time in the past, she might not be familiar with the way to get there.
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2002, 09:56:59 AM »
Kuanyin wrote:
Carolyn tells Chris it is isolated and very private.

LOL!!  Private?  I had to laugh at that one! I'd say it's about as "private" as a train station.  Ever since the guy moved in there, he's been flocked by a numerous parade of people from Barnabas, the Sheriff, that girl Donna, right down to little David, who just happen to "drop in" on his way on a hike very early in the morning!  Even the ghosts know where he lives now!

Another thing that struck me funny was when the children were hiding out on Maggie and she found them right outside of Collinwood near the woods after the kids yelled to her "we're over here!"  Well, who the heck was that calling "David"  "Amy?"  That definetely wasn't Maggie's voice!! It sounded more like a man to me?  This was just before they all headed over to the cottage after hearing Mrs. J's screams.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2002, 10:39:19 PM »
Another thing that struck me funny was when the children were hiding out on Maggie and she found them right outside of Collinwood near the woods after the kids yelled to her "we're over here!"  Well, who the heck was that calling "David"  "Amy?"  That definetely wasn't Maggie's voice!! It sounded more like a man to me?  This was just before they all headed over to the cottage after hearing Mrs. J's screams.

I think it was KLS talking through her cupped hand (like a megaphone) to make it sound like she was a long ways off when she was probably just a few steps away on the soundstage.

:)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 12:53:14 AM »
Messing with sets. . i of course noted on Friday that Julia's fireplace is GONE again!. . .Guess they downscaled her suite since she declared Liz Dead. . .
Julia99

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2002, 02:12:28 AM »
    Hey, I think this was Quentin's love shack way before it was Morgan's rats nest or Chris' wolfs den.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2002, 02:44:51 AM »
Messing with sets. . i of course noted on Friday that Julia's fireplace is GONE again!. . .Guess they downscaled her suite since she declared Liz Dead. . .

I can't help but remember the spindle bed in her room  the night Barnabas paid a visit in which to strangle her.  It reminded me of (and I know this is kind of sick) some sort of torture chamber item.  The wood was all dark and icky.  It didn't look Victorian but sort of medieval (Gothic?).  However, it seemed to improve with time and had a softer, more feminine feel to it after awhile.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2002, 03:45:42 AM »

What does she expect from freeloading forever?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2002, 05:27:07 AM »
What does she expect from freeloading forever?

Apparently so. How come no one ever says "Hey Julia - what ever became of that book you were supposed to be writing? Why are you still living here?" Maybe the Collins family simply decided they liked having a doctor in the house. Heck, Julia got 'em all hooked on pills and now they can't live without her.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2002, 08:08:45 AM »
Apparently so. How come no one ever says "Hey Julia - what ever became of that book you were supposed to be writing? Why are you still living here?" Maybe the Collins family simply decided they liked having a doctor in the house. Heck, Julia got 'em all hooked on pills and now they can't live without her.

ROFL!  That makes sense to me.  

By the end of the show though, it's like all of the cast is living on the estate.  Drives me nuts.  

Plus Amy and Hallie.  Yeah, it moves the plot, but c'mon.  They're children.  I knew some kids in high school who moved into the homes of their friends' parents because their home life was so bad, but they were nearly eighteen.  Amy and Hallie are young enough that I find it appalling that the people who should be their primary caregivers aren't even trying to raise them, but are content to dump them off on crazy Mrs. Stoddard.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2002, 09:09:01 AM »
Alot of Primetime soaps are the same way, most of the cast lives in the same house, Dallas, Dyansty

or apartment buliding--Melrose Place

which I never understand since half them hated each other.

jon
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2002, 10:01:36 AM »
Amy and Hallie are young enough that I find it appalling that the people who should be their primary caregivers aren't even trying to raise them, but are content to dump them off on crazy Mrs. Stoddard.

Well, we know that Amy's only relative left is Chris, and while they don't know why he seems to be so reluctant to care for her, we know he has a very good reason.

And, Hallie's parents had recently died (I think it was a car crash) and Prof. Stokes was her uncle.  I forget just how it came about that they took her in, but (aside from the fact that we know what a weird place it is), it would seem that the Collins family could offer more for her than her uncle.
Josette