Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1149  (Read 1002 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1149
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:58:09 AM »
Robservations #1149

(And here IT is: one of Julia fandom's ultimate eps!)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1149
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:39:19 AM »
(And here IT is: one of Julia fandom's ultimate eps!)

And I bet I know why. Trask gets his just deserts. When I saw what was coming, I was thinking it was too bad all the Trasks didn't get bitten.
Then when he was trying to flee from Barnabas and that really bad actor Randall guy, and they're holding him back, I'm like, "Let him go! Let him go!!"

Yeah. Definately a great episode.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »
Count me in as a Julia fan! It's always cool when Barn can't help showing that he cares.

Wonderful Barn vs. Roxanne staring contest! Donna Wandrey is great at being stunningly beautiful and remorselessly feral at the same time.

I laughed out loud at seeing Lamar get bitten. Evidently once is not enough for either him or Roxanne. Too many conversations with Randall Drew, but I suppose the writers had to maneuver him into following Trask to the mausoleum because Barnabas couldn't.

Good cliffhanger ending too.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:31:24 AM »
Hot diggity dog, it's great to see a Trask bitten by a vampire!  I don't want Roxanne to be destroyed.  I want to see this go on for several episodes - maybe several hundred episodes - especially since (no surprise here) Jerry Lacy's acting it so well.

When people talk about staking a vampire and say it's to help the vampire find peace, do they ever stop and think about what they're saying?  The vampire's not looking for peace.  I do remember, vaguely, the passage in Dracula in which the vampire was destroyed, and from miles away (or something) the peace on his face could be seen, but I'm still having trouble with the concept in Dark Shadows.  We've never seen peace on the face of a staked vampire in this show.

It's lovely to see Flora again.  Just lovely.

There was an unfortunate bit in the voiceover, when Jerry Lacy said Julia was laying in the lighthouse, instead of lying.  I'm sure Julia would have preferred to be laying, but that's not how it was.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »
There was an unfortunate bit in the voiceover, when Jerry Lacy said Julia was laying in the lighthouse, instead of lying.

I'm surprised that I did not notice that and become irritated by it, myself.

Vampire staring contest, Roxanne loses.   Hi Flora!   Good point, Randall, said to Lamar:  if Lamar isn't "at liberty" to say what the evil at Collinwood is, why bring it up?   Trask wants everyone to gather at his feet and beg him--- oh please tell us about the evil, Mr. Trask!!  Please!!  

Lamar: "The Almighty will deal with his (Randall's) blindness."   Randall: "The Almighty will have His hands full dealing with yours!"   [spoiler]It's sad that so many sensible characters have been dragged into the Trasks' witch hunts.   Countess DuPres, Randall...[/spoiler]   Lamar, later: "Those who doubt the word of Truth are only a shade less guilty than those who defile it!"   Lamar Trask, father of "zero tolerance"!   All religious problems would stop if we could do away with "Doubt is evil, so never doubt."

Obvious fact #1 about witches:  They're very clever and ruthless and powerful people, therefore it will have occured to them to put suspicion onto someone else.   Why wouldn't they?

Obvious fact #2 about witches:  The fact that witchcraft's going on doesn't automatically mean that the witch is who Trask says it is.

Roxanne meeting Lamar... is this the big scene people are saying is classic?  It's certainly nice to see.   I really like Lamar's reaction after Roxanne says "You always said that you loved me, don't you remember?"   I love that flummoxed expression, where he emotionally overloads for a moment!   Homina homina homina!!!

[spoiler]I think 1840 just spun out of control because of[/spoiler] one of those little unpredictable verbal slips that are always going to happen in any situation eventually, at least one with secrets.  Barnabas referred to Julia's attacker as a "person", then that got Randall's attention.  Barnabas had to explain.  Instead of shooting back with "I only meant that somebody or something attacked her, we don't know what..."   Barnabas explained all about Roxanne's vampirism to Randall.   [spoiler]This triggered many other events down the road.[/spoiler]   It may be that Barnabas didn't feel he could claim it was all a mystery still since Julia was there as a witness.   Really, I think it was a matter of a nanosecond sometimes not being enough time to cook up a good story.

Flora actually broaches the word and subject of "vampire" on her own!   ***   Why's Roxanne calling Lamar again so soon?   She needs the vampire equivalent of Gatorade.

[spoiler]Another pivotal event:  Barnabas will pay for[/spoiler] that vampiric controlling stare at Lamar at the coffin.  Excellent moment.   What did that feel like?  What was going through Lamar's head?

Roxanne as vampire seems to be rushing by much faster than I remember.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
Why's Roxanne calling Lamar again so soon?   She needs the vampire equivalent of Gatorade.

LOL! She is after all a newly fledged vampire, probably voracious and incapable of controlling her appetites, even if she wanted to. And of course how could she resist getting revenge on Lamar?  [snow_wink]