Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1147  (Read 1280 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1147
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:58:10 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1147
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 02:06:39 AM »
Tad appears, finally.   Well-written Q/Daphne love scene, surprisingly.   I find love scenes painful to sit through, unless there's something original and unexpected, some idea or thought or something expressed in a new way.   There was, here.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:26:34 AM »
"You're the sister of Joanna Mills."  Anybody in real life would have said, "You're Joanna Mills's sister," but that would have sounded awkward because of all those s's together, so the writers had to make it "the sister of Joanna Mills".  Four years of writing about the Collinses, you think they would have known better when they chose Joanna's surname.

If Daphne is Joanna's sister, and Joanna was engaged to be married to Randall Drew, then I'm surprised that Randall's sister Samantha hadn't met Daphne before.  Granted, this is 1840, when getting around wasn't as easy as it was in 1970 or 2011 - but such considerations tend not to be taken into account on Dark Shadows.

I don't think we ever get an answer on how the playroom became a now-you-see-it-now-you-don't room, do we?  As Taeylor has pointed out, we don't know why the parallel time room was changeable, either, but at least in the case of the parallel time room, it always seems to have been that way, so there may have been something special when it was originally created.  In the case of the playroom, we know for a fact that somewhere along the line its rules of existence changed, and we don't know what caused that change.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:40:33 PM »
WTF? Quentin just walks right into Daphne's room without knocking???
And what happened to him that all of a sudden he loves her? Not unusual behavior for Quentin, but still. Wasn't this rather abrupt? Maybe I just didn't see it coming.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
Hi Janet, I think of the scene you mention as a very "Wuthering Heights" kind of moment.

Best, G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:48:58 PM »
WTF? Quentin just walks right into Daphne's room without knocking???

As Master of Collinwood, he has the legal right to walk into any room of the house without knocking whenever he pleases. Everything--and that includes servants like Daphne--on the Collinwood estate belongs to him, right down to the clothes on Samantha's back. I'm assuming Maine didn't yet have a Married Women's Property Act in 1840.

Poor Tad and Carrie! Now we know that for all their blundering around, Barn and Julia STILL haven't managed to change history.

The elderly Dr. Welles (perhaps named for Violet Welles?) manages to stay alive by very wisely making this his only appearance on DS.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:42:58 PM »
Given the history of male doctors on DS, he was lucky!

The elderly Dr. Welles (perhaps named for Violet Welles?) manages to stay alive by very wisely making this his only appearance on DS.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:27:54 AM »
I think of the scene you mention as a very "Wuthering Heights" kind of moment.

Definately.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.