Author Topic: Robservations 10/2/02 - #672/673 - Sibling Weirdness  (Read 1339 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 10/2/02 - #672/673 - Sibling Weirdness
« on: October 01, 2002, 10:27:51 PM »
672 - (Grayson Hall) - The great halls of Collinwood are clothed in darkness, a darkness sinister and impenetrable--but not as impenetrable as the secrets of the great estate. For Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, the mistress of Collinwood, has been placed under a curse, and because of it has been buried alive. At this moment, she realizes her daughter is in danger, but she is trapped in her tomb, consigned to the land of the living dead.

(Good, Julia's in this episode!) Carolyn hears her mother's voice warning her she's in terrible danger--or at least she thinks she does, but then decides it isn't possible. The werewolf stalks Carolyn, climbing over rocks to get at her. Liz, entombed, tells Carolyn to go back to Collinwood, and hurry! Carolyn does return home, still hearing her mother's voice urging her to get inside the house--inside! But the werewolf has followed her to Collinwood!

Carolyn stands outside the door. The werewolf takes off when Julia opens the door. I was just coming out to look for you, Julia says, you were gone a long time. Carolyn explains she's afraid something happened to Chris--the cottage is a mess--what does it mean? Julia is sure he's all right, Chris can take care of himself. Carolyn hopes so. Julia is sure. They go into the drawing room. Carolyn gazes at a photo of Joan Bennett and tells Julia that when she was crossing the woods, I heard my mother's voice calling to me. Julia is skeptical, but Carolyn is sure. The voice was in your mind, Julia insists. Maybe, says Carolyn, replacing the photograph. She doesn't look convinced, and wants to return to Liz' tomb. Julia doesn't want her going through the woods at night--I'll send Barnabas with you, he's in the study. No need, insists Carolyn, and leaves again. The werewolf leaps nimbly down, apparently from a tree, and follows her. "Chris?" she calls, but, receiving no answer, continues on. The animal follows her. Carolyn hears more rustling and again asks who it is--no response. She arrives at the tomb. The werewolf leaps down, almost on top of her. She locks herself in the mausoleum and the creature reaches in an arm, trying to get at her. Carolyn screams wildly, turning away, and the creature manages tries to open the locked door. Liz knows Carolyn is in danger and wants to help her. Carolyn sobs for help. The creature finds a large stone to bash open the door. Liz remembers the bells--she has to make them ring! Her fingers are inches from the button, and she desperately wants so much to make the bells ring and save her daughter. Carolyn clings to her mother's coffin, circling it, begging, "Please. . .please!" I need to move one finger to that button! says Liz, reaching out, trying. The werewolf fiddles with the door, trying to get in!

Liz knows she must reach the button, make the bells ring--she must! The werewolf succeeds in making the door handle fall off. He enters the tomb and grabs Carolyn, slapping her across the face. Liz reaches the magic button and the bells peel, loudly. Blood is running down Carolyn's face. Carolyn hears the bell.
So do Julia and Barnabas at Collinwood, who, while not sure what it means, rush to find out. The noise momentarily distracts the werewolf, enabling Carolyn to escape his grasp, but he snare her again, and gazes at her, about to strike. She covers her face, awaiting the worst. The werewolf gets a good gander at her silver bracelet. She backs into the coffin, the bells still ringing. The werewolf walks around the coffin. Carolyn screams. Barnabas and Julia enter the mausoleum. While Julia tends to Carolyn, Barnabas beats off the animal with his silver-headed cane, sending him racing out of the tomb. Barnabas assures Carolyn it's gone--we heard the bells, he explains. My mother alive, exclaims Carolyn, and we must open the coffin. Barnabas agrees, but insists on doing so alone. He tells Julia to take Carolyn back to Collinwood, but she insists on staying. "Open the coffin, Barnabas," she tells him. Barnabas does as she asks. Liz appears still. Julia checks her pulse, listens for breath sounds. She's dead, Julia says. Carolyn bursts into sobs, leaning against her mother's coffin. They help her back to Collinwood, leaving Liz, who is not really dead, in her coffin.

Julia and Barnabas help Carolyn into the drawing room. Julia asks him to get her bag, then pours Carolyn some brandy. The animal that attacked me--what is it? asks Carolyn. Julia doesn't know, but says it must be found and destroyed. Carolyn sips the brandy, her face bloody. It must be the same animal that attacked my mother, and Joe, says Carolyn, shaking--Joe said he was attacked by an animal, and no one believed him--it could have been this one. Julia says the animal seems human. It's dressed as a man, says Carolyn--what does it mean? Julia has no guess. Barnabas brings her bag, and Julia ministers to Carolyn. Barnabas wonders how Carolyn fought off the animal while they were on their way. She explains she didn't fight him off, she put her hands over her face to protect herself, he grabbed her, then stopped--something attracted his attention--her bracelet--it fascinated or scared him.
Barnabas observes that it's silver--and the head of my cane is silver, too. Barnabas isn't certain what it means, but apparently has an idea. Carolyn asks Julia why the bells in the tomb went off. An accident, suggests Julia, or the scuffling during the struggle. Carolyn remembers that her mother said of the bells went off, it's a signal she's still alive. She was dead, reiterates Julia. Someone enters the drawing room--Liz! Carolyn covers her mouth and screams.

Carolyn runs into Liz' arms, crying, "Mother you're alive, you're alive!" Carolyn and Julia help Liz into the drawing room. I never believed in miracles before, cries Carolyn, but I do now. Julia takes Liz' pulse and finds it weak, but definitely there. You thought me dead, says Liz, but I wasn't. Julia assures her--I took every precaution, and you were dead. Liz knows how it happened--she remembers--it was Cassandra--she has special powers and put her under a spell.
(Barnabas and Julia exchange significant glances.) One night, explains Liz, I found Cassandra on the terrace with Tony Peterson, and they were embracing--I was angry and threatened to tell Roger--Cassandra made me look deep into her eyes and told me what would happen--you'd think me dead and bury me alive--and it did happen--all I would remember was total darkness, until tonight--I awoke, sensing Carolyn in danger--I had to help her. I was in danger, says Carolyn, but not any longer. Thrilled her mother is back with them and alive, Carolyn hugs her. Liz is afraid of Cassandra--will she ever return? No, says Barnabas, never again. She might, frets Liz, and Roger might take her back, never believe my story. Barnabas assures her they believe her, and Cassandra won't bother her again--I'm certain of that. Julia agrees with him. Once in the darkness, says Liz, I had a vision of some woman who resembled Cassandra surrounded by fire, consumed in flames--I heard her screams and then she was gone. (Another look between Julia and Barnabas.) Julia insists in taking Liz up to her room to examine her. Liz looks around the room, so happy to be home, to be with her family. Carolyn happily hugs her mother again, and asks Barnabas if he ever thought this would happen. No, he says, and neither did you. We might never understand it, Carolyn says. Barnabas suggests she not even try--it was my mother who saved me by ringing the bells, says Carolyn. Barnabas orders her to remain home at night until the animal is found and destroyed. Carolyn promises, describing how the animal attacked her after she left Chris' cottage--I wonder if it attacked Chris--especially after the way the cottage looked when I went there to look for him--I'm frightened! Barnabas phones Chris--no answer. He suggests going to the cottage, but she fears him going out, too. He says he'll get Roger's gun. She thanks him profusely for doing this. He returns with a shotgun (?), puts on his cape and makes sure he takes his trusty, gold and silver cane of protection along before he goes.

Julia comes downstairs and assures Carolyn that Liz is doing well--you can go see her.

Barnabas, walking in the woods, hears growling and aims the rifle at the sound. The animal appears before him. Barnabas aims and shoots.
The werewolf, seemingly immune to the bullet, leaps up and races at Barnabas!

NOTES: Well, the Liz is dead story is over, thank God. The werewolf is much shorter than Chris, which is weird. Carolyn's joy in her mother's resurrection was nice to see. Those looks Barnabas and Julia were exchanging were fun to watch. They KNOW stuff the others don't, and it's always enjoyable when they share silent confidences.

673 - (Grayson Hall) - This night has already brought terror to Collinwood, for a young girl was stopped and attacked by a strange, savage creature, and she barely managed to escape with her life. She is safe now, but the terrors of this moonlit night have not ended, for Barnabas Collins has left Collinwood on a dangerous mission--to hunt down and destroy the creature that moves through the darkness with one desire--to kill.

Barnabas, rifle at the ready, hears a sound and demands, "Who's there?" He sees nothing at first, but then the werewolf leaps down in front of him. Barnabas shoots, but the creature rises and attacks him!

Barnabas, his hands all scratched, struggles with the creature and drops the gun. When he begins striking the werewolf with his silver-headed cane, the animal gazes at the moonlight glinting off it and runs away. Barnabas stares at his cane, which probably saved his life, in awe. A dog howls.

At Collinwood, Julia paces, checks her watch, and waits. Amy comes downstairs, fully dressed, and tells Julia, "I have to go see Chris." No way, says Julia, go back to bed. Amy, however, is insistent--it will be too late if I don't see him now--something is happening; I had the scariest dream I've ever had, and my brother was in danger--I must see him to find out! Julia won't let her go, but Amy won't listen to this grownup. Please let me go, she begs. It's too dangerous, protests Julia. I'm afraid, because of Chris, says Amy. Julia tells her Chris is all right, but Amy sobs that she's scared, and tries to flee the house. She begs Julia to please let her go. Julia shakes her and orders her to stop--I'll go check on Chris at the cottage, I promise! The little girl, thrilled at Julia's offer, promises to behave and wait. Julia starts to go, then turns back. She takes a gun from a drawer in the drawing room with her, explaining to Amy she's taking it because it's dangerous in the woods. (Lots of firearms at Collinwood, huh?) Amy comes outside and gazes with trepidation at the full moon.

In the night, the wounded werewolf continues to trudge through the woods.

Julia knocks on the door of the cottage--no answer. She lets herself in, calling to Chris. She observes the overturned furniture and lamps, smashed glass, etc., and calls to Chris in the bedroom. She leaves the cottage, convinced he isn't there.

It's 4:45 AM. Amy paces the foyer, staring up at the clock, wringing her hands.

Julia, gun ready, walks through the woods. The werewolf is poised on a rock above her, growling. He falls down onto the ground, his shirt bloody from his injury, and lies unconscious.

Julia returns to Collinwood and lies to Amy that she woke up Chris--he's fine, and said to tell Amy not to worry--he couldn't come to Collinwood earlier because he had to go into town on business--he'll try to see you tomorrow, Julia assures her. Amy, happy, thanks Julia for going. Julia shoos her upstairs. Amy's worries are over, but Julia's have just begun--something HAS happened to Chris, and where the hell is Barnabas? The sun rises. The unconscious werewolf turns into an unconscious Chris, whose shirt is a bloody mess.
A blonde woman in an 18th century dress stands over him, sadly shaking her head. (now who is that, and why?)

Chris awakens and stands. He sees where he is, checks his bloody, torn shirt, and wonders what happened last night. "Carolyn?" Did I hurt her? I have to find out. But first I have to clean up; I can't let anyone see me like this!

Julia worries in the drawing room. Amy comes in and asks if she's seen Carolyn; she promised to take her into town today. She can't, says Julia, she isn't feeling well--she had an accident. Amy, immediately concerned, wants to know more. You'll find out soon enough, says Julia--Carolyn was attacked in the woods by an animal. What kind? asks Amy. Julia claims not to know, and only adds that Carolyn is remaining in bed all day. I didn't want anything bad to happen to her, says Amy, puzzling Julia. None of us did, agrees Julia, but it's fortunate--she could have been killed. This really upsets Amy. Julia assures her it didn't happen, so she shouldn't think about it--Carolyn will be all right. She shouldn't have gotten hurt, says Amy sorrowfully, looking as if she's going to cry. All us us are sorry, agrees Julia, but you couldn't have prevented it. Amy knows differently. Julia suggests she visit Carolyn later. Amy, eyes suddenly vacant, says she wants to go outside (and she sounds mighty possessed). "Outside?" asks Julia. Amy says, I want to go outside and play--I'll see Carolyn later. You shouldn't go outside, warns Julia, but Amy begs to be allowed to stay near the house. Julia says in that case, it's all right. Amy heads outside.

Chris returns to the trashed cottage and closes the blinds. He rights the furniture and lamps, very quickly. Someone knocks at the door--Barnabas. Chris quickly strips off his shirt and puts on a robe. (Nice chest!) He opens the door to Barnabas, apologizing for keeping him waiting. Chris yawns--you didn't wake me, I was just getting dressed--I got plenty of sleep, he claims--I was here all night. Barnabas sits down and tells him Carolyn was worried about him when he didn't stop by to see Amy. Something came up, says Chris--urgent business. You should have called her, she was concerned about you, says Barnabas, then describes how Carolyn was attacked in the woods last night by a wild animal--I tried to track it down, but couldn't find it. Chris' face registers shock. "Carolyn isn't. . ." says Chris. "Dead?" asks Barnabas--"no." Chris thanks God. She was hurt, got some cuts on her face, says Barnabas. Is that all? asks Chris. Yes, says Barnabas, but still badly shaken up. Chris offers to come see her. That would be a good idea, says Barnabas. Chris promises to be there as soon as he gets dressed. He takes in a deep breath of relief that Carolyn is alive, and thanks God.

Amy walks through the woods, calling Beth. "Where are you?" she asks. "I have to talk to you, please, it's important." Beth appears, to Amy's delight. She asks why David broke his promise that Carolyn wouldn't be hurt--why did you let it happen? Beth looks sad.
Amy realizes she didn't want it to happen--why did it, then? Beth begins to sob. I know you didn't want it to happen anymore than I did, says Amy--how can I protect Carolyn--or anyone? Beth puts her hand under Amy's chin and points. Amy knows there's something Beth wants her to do, and conveys it telepathically. "I know. . .I know," says Amy, trancelike, and Beth smiles.

Amy goes to the cottage and calls to her brother. She lights a fire in the fireplace.

Julia tells Barnabas she was worried about him when he didn't return.
He explains, I felt I should keep searching until I decided it was useless--I did manage to shoot the animal, point blank, yet it didn't die--the blast from the gun should have killed any living creature. There's a knock at the door. That would be Chris, says Barnabas, surprising Julia--I stopped by the cottage to tell him about Carolyn. Chris comes in. Julia is relieved to see he's all right. Barnabas tells her Chris is fine--he spent the entire night in the cottage. Julia's face is a study in fascination at this news. I slept through all the excitement, says Chris, and wish someone told me, I might have been able to help. "But." says Julia, then shrugs and says nothing. She tells Chris to go up and see Carolyn, she's awake. Barnabas goes into the drawing room and Julia, looking confused, follows him. "He's lying," she tells him--Chris is lying!--he didn't have a peaceful night's sleep, I doubt he had any sleep at all. Barnabas asks for more info. She tells him, I went to the cottage close to dawn because I was worried about Chris--he was gone, and the place was a shambles--why would he lie? she wonders. Barnabas doesn't know.

At the cottage, Amy takes her brother's blood-stained shirt and tosses it into the fire the built. It begins to burn. "I've done it, Beth, just the way you told me to do it," she announces to the air. "Are you watching me?" Chris comes in and finds his sister seemingly in a trance. He asks what's wrong.
Nothing is wrong now, I have to go--"She's calling me," says Amy--"Can't you hear it?" No, says Chris. "I can," she responds eerily, and races from the cottage. He sees something burning in the fireplace and grabs the poker to check out what it is. "My shirt!" he says, totally flummoxed.

NOTES: Beth told Amy to burn her brother's shirt--why was she so concerned? Are she and Quentin on opposite sides of this family feud? Apparently Beth doesn't want Chris connected with Carolyn's attack, and told Amy to burn it. Why?

Julia knows Chris was lying about his good night's sleep, but have she and Barnabas connected any of this to the supernatural? Barnabas, once a supernatural creature himself, might well have sensed another such creature in their midst. And since the wolf who walks like a man didn't succumb to that bullet wound, it must take a different kind of bullet to do away with him--or at least that's what legends say. Get thee to a silversmith and have some bullets forged!

Poor Amy is a really messed up little kid. You feel so sorry for her plight, her loneliness, her desire for a stable family.

Love, Robin

DVD

Re: Robservations 10/2/02 - #672/673 - Sibling Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 07:44:44 PM »
DVD episodes for August 19th and 20th.
The 7th and 8th episodes on Set#12/Disc#2 (2nd and 3rd episodes on MPI tape Volume #88)