Author Topic: Jonathan Frid to participate in Johnny Depp movie  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid to participate in Johnny Depp movie
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
Frid could play old man McGruder saying, "You damn kids, stay outta my yard!!".
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
Or he could think that noises in his yard are being caused by kids only to find out it's actually Barnabas attacking someone. And, well, we all know what happens to witnesses.  [snow_wink]

BTW, I noticed the other day that Frid has taken down the notice of his participation in the film. I suppose he figured anyone interested in knowing had already seen it, but I was still a bit surprised because I thought it might have stayed up until he updated it to say what he'll actually be doing...

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »
That is strange MB. Maybe the studio wanted to keep his appearance under wraps or something.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
Check out the cryptic message on Frid's website http://www.jonathanfrid.com/diaries.html

It would make sense that the "keep your mouth shut" edict extends to those who may or may not be cast in the film.

nancy

BTW, I noticed the other day that Frid has taken down the notice of his participation in the film. I suppose he figured anyone interested in knowing had already seen it, but I was still a bit surprised because I thought it might have stayed up until he updated it to say what he'll actually be doing...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »
Yes, I saw that cryptic message after you alluded to it in the Selby topic. And I agree that it certainly seems like he was referring to the Depp/DS film but can't actually say anything even if he wanted to.  ;)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »
Which given the secrecy surrounding the film makes sense.  Also, Frid never said he was doing a "cameo" though it is being assumed he said that.  He didn't identify what his participation would be.  It could be many things.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
Also, Frid never said he was doing a "cameo" though it is being assumed he said that.  He didn't identify what his participation would be.  It could be many things.

Exactly. Entertainment Web sites may not be the only ones jumping to conclusions.  ;)  Though at least in the case of some of the fans who believe Frid will cameo in the film, it's not entirely their fault because many entertainment sites have reported he will even though Frid has never said as much. Which bring things back to the point that we can't necessarily believe all that we read on these sites.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 10:59:37 PM »
LOL @ Robot Quentin. I see you watched that latest interview too. Yeah....

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
A couple of people I know on FB are insisting that Frid would never become involved in what they're calling a "slapstick" "insult" to all "true" DS fans. [snow_sad]  They are horrified that anyone used the word "funny" to describe anything about the movie (they even deny that the original series had any deliberate humor in it).  Makes for weird reading, actually--as if Sarah Palin were a DS fan and a little bit drunk maybe, then opining on the subject.  Not saying these ladies are drunk, of course.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »
I don't know how anyone could deny that the original DS had deliberate humor in it - especially during the 1897 storyline. I mean, through the years we've cited many examples of it, not just since the Depp/DS film's script has been described as "funny" - and we've enjoyed a good laugh because of all of it.  ;)  But perhaps those saying that on Facebook somehow managed to miss all those episodes...  [idontknow]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
How else are you supposed to react to "are you going to drive me to the Farmer's Almanac?"  If that's not funny, then I don't know how to take it. It always cracks me up, as does much of what Quentin has to say in 1897.  I like the fact tha Big Finish has picked up on that aspect of his personality and tried to incorporate that wry, sarcastic element into some his dialogue.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 02:51:07 AM »
One of my favorite moments is the scene in 1897 that Louis Edmonds described in an interview as being "a scene right out of The Little Foxes" with Judith triumphantly reading the will to her stunned brothers.  I love it at the end when Quentin says something like, "Come on, brothers, let's all go upstairs and watch Judith write her first check!"  Her death glare and his sarcastic smirk are priceless.

I thought of moments such as this when Eva Green in one of her interviews said that the new movie is going to be "much more focused on the actors."  That's a comment that indicates to me that they could actually be on the trail here of something good.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 04:39:10 AM »
I thought of moments such as this when Eva Green in one of her interviews said that the new movie is going to be "much more focused on the actors."  That's a comment that indicates to me that they could actually be on the trail here of something good.

I had the same sort of reaction to that comment from Eva Green. And it's comments like that one that make me wonder how it can be that some fans are simply focusing on the comments that the Depp/DS film's script will have funny elements to it to the seeming complete exclusion of so many other types of comments being made that definitely make it sound like things are on the right track for Burton & Co. to be making a film that will definitely resemble the DS we know and love. No matter the situation, it's always going to be possible to take one certain type of comment and to be fearful of what it might mean. So that's why every type of comment needs to be considered and considered within the complete context of each other - otherwise one isn't getting the complete picture or taking the complete picture into consideration.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
Maybe they've seen the script. [snow_silly]

But perhaps those saying that on Facebook somehow managed to miss all those episodes...  [idontknow]

David

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 02:48:54 PM »
Between Depp & Burton's love for the original & Jim Pierson consulting on the project, I'm sure that the film will stay on the right track.