Author Topic: BARNEY--he's EVIL  (Read 977 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
BARNEY--he's EVIL
« on: February 04, 2002, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 04, 2002 at 16:58:00:

Man, oh man, I thought I'd seen the murder of Dr. Woodard episode but guess not. Wow was Barney evil to Julia. . .how could that turn into love, i guess it was a perverted kinda of love since she didna have any more friends to hang out with. . .Julia Julia Julia. . .she shoulda just run to the police or made her own stake. . .And in the 2nd episode, Julia was such a freakout show. . .if you'd witnessed that would you have thought? 1) this woman works hard to repress her feelings, 2) she was closer to Dr. Woodard then we all new or 3) SHE's THE MURDERER?? I think i mighta thought hard on #2 and #3 given the way she acted back at Collinwood. .repeating everyone's words. ."murder. . ??"

J99 (not a murderer or accessory either)
Julia99

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: BARNEY--he's EVIL
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2002, 12:26:29 AM »
Originally posted by Ben on February 04, 2002 at 18:26:29:

Julia99 writes:
And in the 2nd episode, Julia was such a freakout show

LOL! I like how you put that, Julia99! To add insult to injury, in her hour of desperation, she had no one to offer HER a sedative.

Ben

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Oh, yeah
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2002, 02:29:22 AM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on February 04, 2002 at 20:29:22:
In Reply to: Re: BARNEY--he's EVIL posted by Ben:

As if she didn't self-medicate!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2002, 03:37:28 AM »
Originally posted by Josette on February 04, 2002 at 21:37:28:

I always found her reaction so good. She's clearly tormented by the guilt. All of the hints of murder, and then Vicki asking if she could ever forgive the person who did it and in quite a tortured manner, she replies, "no." All of her reactions stem from her knowledge of what happened and her own guilt, but it would clearly look like the reaction of someone who has suddenly lost a close friend in this manner, and so seem convincing to the others.

All of the Barnabas - Julia scenes were quite good. The way he forces her to remember all of the clues being left behind and making her pick them up herself. And then, later, at the house, his emphasis on how they need each other now and that she has no one else.

Josette
Josette

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2002, 04:21:05 PM »
Originally posted by Julian on February 05, 2002 at 10:21:05:
In Reply to: Re: BARNEY--he's EVIL posted by Josette:

Barnabas was a MAJOR SOB during this part of the story - anyone who gave him the slightest amount of trouble was a candidate for offing. Maggie's memory is returning, she's got to go. Willie might come out of his coma and start talking, let's get rid of him. David is (well, I can kind of understand Barnabas here, if some brat was constantly climbing in my window and snooping in the basement I'd get a little ticked too) And now he finally carries through and kills Dr. Woodard. AND his cruelty towards poor Julia gets even worse in the episodes to come. AND....

[spoiler]In a really low moment when he needs some fresh blood to overcome the rapid aging, he can't bring himself to bite Victoria but has no compunction in dining out on Carolyn.[/spoiler]

BTW, I do wish Julia had fashioned a stake and started waving it around Barnabas to keep him in line.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 02:20:51 AM »
Barnabas really was truly evil during his early days on the show....I thought he had a lot of nerve blaming Julia for his aging process...."You gave me hope to live as a regular man, than crushed it, I'll never forgive you for this...."

That made me mad. Julia warned him against rushing the treatments but he insisted on it anyway....he had no one to blame but himself for what had happened.

Also didn't like his plotting to kill David or Maggie, especially David since he was family....had he indeed killed one or perhaps both of them I think Sarah might just have been mad enough to expose him. She certainly didn't like his [spoiler]killing of Dr. Woodard.[/spoiler]

Barnabas was always a fascinating character to watch, but all in all I prefer the 1795 and post 1795 from there afterwards Barnabas, where he became more humane. True sometimes even then we got a glimpse of the "old" rotten Barnabas (emotional wise) now and then but at least he did become somewhat more considerate and more feeling towards other people.