Author Topic: Museum of the Moving Image Houses Two Of Joan Bennett's DS Dresses?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I had no idea. Not that I would actually go there just to see two dresses. But according to this article (Museum of the Moving Image ), apparently they're on display there...

I wonder if either of them is the one some fans refer to as the chartreuse monstrosity?  [lghy]

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Museum of the Moving Image Houses Two Of Joan Bennett's DS Dresses?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:01:19 AM »
No, that's the dress Liz wore to the infamous '1795' seance and in the first scenes of HODS- the yellowish number with the cowl-like neck. 

Well, I saw the picture of the exhibit and instantly recognized the red one- it's actually the nightgown Liz wore when she was buried alive in January 1969 and had to ring that bell to let herself out!!! 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:20:04 AM »
Oh, OK - the red seems to be in one of the pictures on the site. But if the blue one next to it is supposed to be the second dress, I have no idea when she supposedly wore it - and as Midnite would attest, I usually have a fairly good memory for the clothes worn on DS.

To bad the chartreuse one isn't there. That would be a hoot and a half!  [lghy]  And despite what I said earlier, I might have actually gone to the museum to see it. But considering Joan Bennett must have really liked it because she wore it on shows other than and even after DS (like The Governor and JJ), she may have actually kept wearing it until it finally fell apart.  [b003]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:27:33 AM »
ooh i must check this out!

the DS wardrobe is a favorite of mine too.

so joan actually wore the chartreuse caftan after DS??? i'm surprised dcp allowed her to keep it. they probably could have gotten a few more series out of it. [snow_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:08:18 AM »

[snow_bigglass]
I'd make a trip to NYC if I could WEAR the dresses!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:57:41 AM »
Ooh!  the red one was worn by Liz during the Tom Jennings storyline, too!  Magic!

I have no idea where that floral pattern thing was worn.  The only thing remotely like it that comes to mind is the unfortunate gown Liz wore to her wedding with Jason Maguire, but the cut and styling of that horror was completely different from the one in the photo.  Both feature really loud patterns however.

G.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »
If the one that she wore during the buried alive story is midnight blue, that that was a very stunning gown on her.  as was the one when she "did what she had to do" to rachel drummond (i believe this one was cranberry or burgundy.

The 1897 story line was kind to her with her costumes as well.  i do remember the two tone blue one and i believe she had a green one as well as a pink one.

ALSO, i was watching my dvds one day and she came into the drawing room with a pink suit on.  It was beautiful on her, i thought for some reason.  It was a perfect fit on her and the color was nice on her.  any opinions on that one?  I'm not sure what storyline this is but i was watching the parallel time in 70 and return from 95.  I think it's after the Green Potato Sack and Barnabas returned from 95. 

ALSO, i was watching the beginning and her first gown on her was gorgeous, with the pearls.  but there was one suit she had on that sort of lopsided her boobs because of the buttons.  (beginning as well)

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
okay, now that i have actually looked at the pictures (don't like the name of the site -- sorry) i might have my red and blue dresses mixed up.   

That flowerey one looks like a nightgown no?  I do recall that she wore a short dress for her wedding to Jason Macguire.   

I might have bad memory beause I've always watched my dvds with the help of my friend Herb.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
What fun to see those dresses! Liz did wear a short dress for her wedding to Jason, if I remember right. And it was one of those awful floating caftan things that were popular at the time. Maybe she didn't care what she wore, and that's why it was so ugly! Vicki's dress was just as bad, but maybe she was trying for solidarity with Liz.

My favorite JB costumes were from 1795, especially that pearl-gray satin gown with sort of flame-colored velvet. But the 1897 and 1840 numbers were nice too.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:18:16 PM »
On a slightly related note, falling under the broader category of clothing worn by the DS actors displayed in glass cases, Ford's Theatre announced today that the overcoat Lincoln wore the night he was shot will be back on display next month. After designing the renovations around a glass case that would permanently house the overcoat, the theatre was informed that, for the sake of preservation, they could only display it for part of the year. Therefore, a replica also occupies the case. Though they may not clearly indicate this anywhere, I'm told that it's the overcoat David Selby wore when he played Lincoln, a situation that he finds rather amusing.

There's a photo on the Ford's Theatre Facebook page. The actual overcoat is in the foreground. The replica is in the background.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
for the sake of preservation, they could only display it for part of the year. Therefore, a replica also occupies the case. Though they may not clearly indicate this anywhere, I'm told that it's the overcoat David Selby wore when he played Lincoln, a situation that he finds rather amusing.

I would imagine he would. That's wild!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 11:06:25 PM »
At least they don't have the yellow nightgrown worn by Vickie, or some of the psychedelic ones.  [snow_grin]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 06:45:27 AM »
Can you imagine if they had Cassandra's butterfly caftan?!  [eek]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 09:03:50 AM »
I'm fairly sure I've seen that dress in color set photos from the black and white days...  Perhaps MPI has the image in one of their catalogues?  I think that's where I saw it.