Author Topic: If You Love The Beginning Of Leviathans, You'll Probably Love...  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
...this review: Dark Shadows Collection 18. And even though he does tend to gloss over the realities of what went on when the eps originally aired in favor of his own views, there's much there to agree with. And it's also true that many of us, including myself, have come to appreciate much of Leviathans far more as adults than we ever did originally as kids...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: If You Love The Beginning Of Leviathans, You'll Probably Love...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:07:20 AM »
What an odd little text.  Are the malapropisms a result of using dictating software as opposed to typing, do you think?

It does seem funny to refer to Ange as "the inappropriate witch of Collinwood."

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:29:05 AM »
Thanks so much for this. I think I have made it known that I am a fan of The Leviathans all around. I just recently completed a story about them and Angelique.  It explains why she didn't like them.  I am really happy with it.  Perhaps I will share it on a fanfiction site after my zine comes out? 

Again thanks.  I wish it hadn't been cut in half.  Which begs me to ask did the ratings increase towards the end of The Leviathans or did they start to go up with PT?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »
Umm - the end of Leviathans is when things really went haywire with more inconsistencies and bizarre/inexplicable plot twists than you could shake a stick at. Original fans were even less happy and vocally so than they had been with the first months. The ratings didn't pick up until word got out that Leviathans was over and done with - and even then a big chunk of fans who had loved 1897 never came back...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »
I was one of those fans that bailed during Leviathans.  I only returned to watch the series ending.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »
I am one of the few who enjoyed the Leviathan story line during its initial run.  The only thing that disappointed me was never seeing the monster (and you know how kids are about seeing monsters).  The plot I didn't like in the least bit was the Adam schtick (although I liked the dream curse subplot), but I stuck through it and was not only grateful when it ended, but became enamored by the Quentin haunting story.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »
Is there anyone who liked Adam's storyline - at least the second half of it once he came under Nicholas' influence? I thought the first half had several good moments. But his character was completely ruined once Nicholas got involved. And actually, Adam's turnaround could have been very interesting - but the thing that definitely ruined it for me and seemingly a lot of others was the fact that Adam just kept repeating the same threats over and over and over again. IF Adam had continued on his road of discovery and had been questioning rather than falling for Nicholas' spiel hook, line and sinker, the story could have continued to have been interesting. But alas, obviously that wasn't the story DC wanted told...

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 10:45:20 PM »
The only thing I could recall vividly about the Leviathan storyline from its initial run was that Barnabas and Julia were fighting again, and I didn't like that at all. lol. I think my attention may have wavered because of that. Watching again as an adult, however, there were bits and pieces of the story that I liked really well, and some parts that I thought would never end. But I can say that about nearly every DS storyline.
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 12:32:30 AM »
I agree with you MB! I think they totally assasintated Adam's character after he got hooked up with Nicholas...it really could have been more fleshed out story instead of going the MONSTER route.  I liked the Adam who was in love and wanted to learn.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/