Author Topic: Different Characters, Same Actor  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Lindsey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Different Characters, Same Actor
« on: September 28, 2002, 11:17:29 PM »
Since we all know that many of the same actors and actresses played different characters, I thought it would be fun to see what character everyone liked best. So, from the following list of actors, tell who your favorite character of theirs was and why.

Joan Bennett

John Karlen

Nancy Barrett

Louis Edmonds

Thayer David

Kathryn Leigh Scott

Grayson Hall

(may contain some spoilers)
-------------------------------------------
Joan Bennett- I always liked Flora Collins (from 1840) the best. She was so different from all the other characters Joan Bennett played, writing romance novels and living in a separate house.

John Karlen- Probably Willie Loomis. I have just always associated him with Willie. I also quite liked him as Desmond Collins (in 1840).

Nancy Barrett- I LOVED Nancy Barrett possessed by Pansy Faye in 1897! She was so much fun and provided a lot of comic relief. I especially liked when she got to the "pious" Gregory Trask.

Louis Edmonds- I have always liked Roger the best. He can be so stuffy and full of himself. I have been especially enjoyed the character the past few weeks (with David fooling him with the "military secret" and such).

Thayer David- Petofi, for sure. He's the character I "love to hate". Petofi was such a dangerous combination: genius, as well as evil.

Kathyrn Leigh Scott- While many people have said they do not like Maggie being a governess, I have always liked her during that time. I don't really know what it is about Maggie, I just really like her. Maybe it's because she seems the most normal.

Grayson Hall- Julia, hands down. In a time when there were very few woman doctors, Julia was The Doctor. She was a psychiatrist, blood doctor, hospital owner, hypnotist, AND electrician (installing the generator in the Old House) all at the same time! How can you not love that????

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re: Different Characters, Same Actor
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2002, 12:39:58 AM »
Good question.

Joan:  I loved her as Naomi.  She was so pitiful.  You just wanted to hug her all the time.  You felt sorry for her, but, she wore such beautiful jewelry.

John:  Willie hands down.  I love when he stutter and gets excited.  Or when he was trying to explain something, anything,  to Barnabas.

Nancy:  Panzy Faye.  Loved her.  She did what she wanted, where she wanted it, and with who she wanted it.

Louis:  Edward.  He's so snobby.  That's why I loved him in this character.  When they finally get Grandmama will, and there's Judith, getting everything, and there Edward, Quentin and Carl, not getting anything, the look on Edwards face....priceless.

Thayer:  Ben. He's loyal, true, never talks about Barnabas, did what he was told to do.  I'm glad Barnabas told his father (Louis Edmunds) to free him.  He definetly deserves it.

Katheryn: Maggie.  She was just a nice girl.  Someone you would want to be your next door neighbor.

Grayson:  Magda.  This is the one I feel strongly about.  It's like she was born to play her.  If they were giving awards then like they are now, she would have get it for playing Magda.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2002, 01:09:45 AM »
Excellent question, Lindsey!

Joan Bennet: Definitely Judith Collins!  She was a strong and intelligent character with a mind and a will of her own that even Grandmamamama Edith seemed to recognize when she made Judith the head of the household, a role in which she proved extremely capable.  Judith was able to keep her brothers in check and overcome various other obstacles, such as the insanity induced by Evan's black magic.  Though she did make a terrible error in judgement with Gregory, she knew how to correct her mistake... [vryevl]

John Karlen:  This is probably the hardest one to answer, but I'll have to go with Willie.  I adore all of John Karlen's characters.  Each was so likeable and well-acted: playful Carl, tragic William H. Loomis, heroic Kendrick and Desmond.  However, when I began to watch the show, Willie Loomis was the first to catch my attention.  He was the perpetual underdog; basically good, struggling to do his best, and harassed at every turn.  Who couldn't help but like him?

Nancy Barrett: Charity Trask/Pansy Faye was wonderful to watch, but I think Barrett gave her best performance as crazed Carolyn Fredericks in 1995.  This demented, wild-eyed, sometimes childlike character was worlds away from the Carolyn of 1970 or even 1966, and she helped to make it conceivable that something incredibly traumatic had occurred.

Louis Edmonds:  It's a tie between PT Roger and Joshua.  Joshua was a very complex, conflicted character, one that I appreciated more with a second viewing.  However, parallel Roger was such a cold SOB, and he seemed so different from Edmonds's other characters.  When I watched 1970PT, I hadn't yet seen early Roger, but even he could at least be charming when he wished.  His alter ego had nothing to redeem him.

Thayer David:  Another difficult choice.  I think he did his best work as Ben, but he was so natural in the role of the professor.  Really, I think Professor Stokes was one of the most consistent, believable characters of the show's entire run.  He was strong-willed, brilliant, bold, sarcastic, cultured, courageous, helpful, patient, and discreet.  Stokes was the one who always had to solve everybody's problems and clean up after Barnabas and Julia.  As I've posted in the past, he was called upon to do some pretty remarkable things, and even though he probably should have told certain people to go jump from Widows' Hill, he always came through.

KLS: I'd have to say early Maggie.  She had wit and personality and seemed like a nice, normal person.  About the time of the Adam storyline, unfortunately, her character began to degenerate.

Grayson Hall:  I do like Countess Natalie and Magda, but I think my favorite Hall character is PT Hoffman.  As with Roger, she was so much colder and more menacing than the Julia we had come to know.  While Hoffman the doctor was often in hysterics, Hoffman the housekeeper was practically emotionless, and I was impressed by how much Hall was able to control her mannerisms.

ProfStokes

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2002, 03:47:32 AM »
I haven't seen 1897 or the majority of 1840, and I have not seen portions of 1966, 1967, most of 1969, most of 1970, or the 1841 PT storyline.

Joan Bennett: I've onlys een her as Naomi, Liz, and Flora, and out of those my favorite was Flora. She was so different personality wise from Naomi and Liz. I'm looking forward to Judith.

John Karlen: Only seen him as Willie and Desmond. Between those two my favorite is Willie. I'm looking forward to seeing Carl.

Nancy Barrett: Between Carolyn, Millicent, and Letiticia, my favorite is a tie. I think she was great as Millicent and as Carolyn in the early part of the series.

Louis Edmonds: Between Roger, Daniel, and Joshua, I would say early Roger. Roger (pre-Barnabas) was such a snob and so sarcastic. I thought Louis Edmonds was great in the role.

Thayer David: Between Matthew, Ben (1795/6), Ben (1840), and Professor Stokes, I would say I liked him best as Professor Stokes. He had some great dialouge. I am looking forward to seeing Thayer as Petofi.

Kathryn Leigh Scott: Between Maggie and Josette, I would say early Maggie. Maggie (IMO) was dumbed down considerably after Barnabas arrived.

Grayson Hall: Between Julia and Countess duPres, I go with Julia.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2002, 04:59:52 AM »
spoilers

Nancy B: Carolyn but i would have kept Chris J (wolfman or not!)
Joan B: Judith she really held her own with all those men and her revenge was sweet!
John K. he is a hard one for me because i loved Willie
and Desmond but will say Willie!
Louis: has to be Roger he had some great lines
and was so out of it most of the time, really had no idea what was going on!
KLS :Maggie i loved her when i was young other girls wanted to be Marcia Brady i wanted to be Maggie!
Grayson: Always Julia!
Thayer David :has to be Ben with Prof S a close second!
great question Lindsey but you forgot Micheal S
Aristede vs Bruno have to think about that one!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2002, 07:39:34 AM »
Joan Bennett-Liz. I'm not sure why. Perhaps that even
with all her troubles she was such a lady.

John Karlen-Willie. In this role he got to play so many
different emotions.

Nancy Barrett-Pansy Faye. She was so funny :)

Louis Edmonds-Roger. I love his dry wit.

Thayer David-Petofi. So evil.

Kathryn Leigh Scott-Maggie. I really liked her best
when she dated Joe and before.

Grayson Hall-Madga. I thought she was more attractive in this role.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2002, 10:59:55 AM »
Joan Bennett -My favorite role she played was Naomi Collins. I just loved her in that role. I felt she was someone whom everyone could turn to if they were having a problem with something (or someone) and she was just so kind to everyone. I also liked how kind she was to Vicky and Angelique who were only mere servants/governess and the fact that she never looked down on anyone, regardless of their status. I felt so sorry for her because those around her (Abigail & Joshua) treated her as if she were a mere ornament with no mind of her own. I feel this is probably what led to her drinking so much. She had too much time on her hands and nothing else to do but sit around all day and look pretty.[angl2]

John Karlen -Willie will always be my favorite character out of them all, although Desmond I liked also. Loved how Willie always tried so hard to do what is right by everyone, especially Maggie & Barnabas, whom he was so loyal too.[wink2]

Nancy Barrett -Thought she was great as Charity Trask possessed by Pansy Faye! She did a great job with this character. I loved how she ran around telling everyone's fortunes and of course singing her favorite tune,"I wanna dance with you"  She was a hoot![scrm]

Louis Edmonds -My favorite for him would be Joshua. I liked how he kept in charge of everything no matter how bizzare things got in that household. He kept his emotions in check for most of the storyline but it became evident when Barnabas was lying in his deathbed, and again later on when father and son said goodbye to one another that he really did care very deeply for his son, he just didn't know how to show it.[king]

Thayer David -I loved him as Gentle Ben. His loyalty was something to see.  It was something to witness him so eager to learn how to read & write and it was the little things like this that seem to make him happy. He was always looking out for others even though he had nothing of his own. Time and time again we got to witness his kind acts towards others in the household, Barnabas, Josette, Natalie, Little Sarah, etc..  And as much as he couldn't stand Ms Abigail,(who could blame him) he still tried to warn her not to go into the old house basement after dark. That man had the patience of a saint! [angl]

Kathryn Leigh Scott -I liked her as Lady Kitty the best. She seemed a bit stronger than the other characters she portrayed. Also it was nice to see her playing someone who was alittle on the devious side for a change instead of the "Miss goody two shoes" she played in other roles.[greed]

Grayson Hall -Well I've always loved Julia as my favorite character, but Magda was great too!!  She looked so entirely different as Magda and between the wig & the accent, she was a total hoot!![nuts]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Kid_A_Grue

• Incestors?!?
    • View Profile
    • My Diary
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2002, 05:54:02 AM »
Good question!

Louis Edmonds(my fav!): I must agree that pre-Barnabas Roger was his best role! To bad Barnabas popped out of the coffin and stole the show.

Joan Bennet: I like Naomi or Flora- Flora because I finally got to see Joan play a happy character and actually laugh for once and Naomi because I felt sorry for her.

Thayer David: I like Ben. I especially like the line he said about going to China cause he liked his tea and how he called Branabas Mr. Barnabas all the time.

John Karlen: Carl was funny. Damn prankster.

KLS: Josette. I'm sorry. This is such a typical answer but I must. I liked it when Maggie was possesed by Josette during that Barnabas-Basement fiasco.

Grayson Hall: Oh geez. Either the Countess or Magda. I named my cat Magda dagnabit! I think Magda more because it was a wild character and I could see myself in the role.

Nancy Barret: Pansy Faye possesed. She was just funny! Especially when she had the dream about her and Quentin ball-room dancing to 'I wanna dance for you".
I'm a reasonable Grue get off my case get off my case get off my case.  All your Base are belong to us!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2002, 08:24:41 AM »
Louis Emonds: I really like Louis but all his characters seem somewhat similar. .pompous fops. . it would've been fun to have him play a dastardly criminal element type. .  

Joan Bennet: I like Flora. . she is quite fun and giddy.

Thayer David: Ben for compassion. . .T Eliot for pompous intellect. . .

John Karlen: Willie, willie, willie!!

KLS: I liked "early" Kitty. . it was the only character that seemed the slightest bit different .. .Maggie, PT Maggie, Josette .. they were all the same.

Grayson Hall: Well Julia is my main gal but Magda is a riot. . i've only seen a few eps but the one i saw the other day where Magda is watching Collinwood or something and stands at the top of the stairs, "what's the matter?" she asks and throws her hip out and arm over the banister. . .a haughty posture no Hoffman woman would've ever  struck.

Nancy Barret: Letitia Faye so far. . i haven't seen Pansy Faye yet. .i'm anxiously awaiting her arrival. . .

Julia99

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2002, 07:25:41 PM »
Joan Bennett

I think Liz, the original characterization of Liz from 1966, was her best work on the series.  A runner-up is Judith Collins in 1897, a marvelous, layered performance from Bennett (and although you have to wait a LONG time for the payoff in the character's storyline, the denouement is fabulous).

John Karlen
Again, I thought the original Willie Loomis in 1967 was fabulous, subtle work.  There was an undertone of bruised sexuality, especially in the character's scenes with mad Maggie, that was remarkable given the often poorly composed scripts.  My runner-up here would be William Loomis in PT 1970.  Johnny Karlen is always wonderful to watch no matter what the role.

Nancy Barrett

Gawd, how do you choose.  Grayson Hall claimed that Nancy Barrett was the best actress on the show, and I think she was right.  There are just so many marvelous moments in every characterization.  Possessed Charity was wonderful because she was just so outrageous.  The portrait of the half-mad Carolyn in 1995 may have been her most remarkable work because it was so subtle and believable.

Louis Edmonds

Without a doubt, 1966 Roger.  Debonair, arrogant, suave and utterly vicious.

Thayer David

Petofi for acting ... Prof. Stokes is my heart's favorite though.  Also LOVE his work as drunken mad genius Tim Stokes in PT1970.  I feel true awe when watching any performance by Thayer David.  

Kathryn Leigh Scott

I think Lady Kitty Hampshire/Soames was the best work she did on the series.  She did some fine work in the original Maggie characterization of 1966 ... too bad they didn't keep the Eve Arden bits in.  I thought she was hauntingly vulnerable portraying Maggie's mental distintegration while a prisoner of Barnabas Collins in 1967.

Grayson Hall

Magda was her personal favorite,and unquestionably some of her finest work on the series, but I give top marks to the PT Hoffman characterization because she was so marvelously focused, clear, and poised in that work.  Particularly her first week's episodes--simply divine.  My sentimental favorite will always be Julia, of course.

Offline liz_collins

• Where are my pearls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2002, 11:54:21 PM »
I had to think about this one for awhile.  The only part of DS i never liked was the Labyrinth Story line.  So here it goes:
Joan Bennett -  This has to be the original Liz from 1966.  She was so strong and vulnerable.  Liz was a Collins and they had certain responsibilities that she took very seriously.
Louis Edmonds - Of course for me it is Roger from 1966 as some one has said earlier, yes he was wonderfully arrogant.
Thayer David - Ben, I think maybe because this is the first role I remember him in.  He had such a good soul about him.
Kathryn Leigh Scott - I always enjoyed her Maggie from the beginning.  Yes, Maggie changed but she was always the one that seemed grounded, and not taken with all the hoopla of the family Collins.
Grayson Hall - What can I say about a woman that I truly loved on the show.  But if I must choose, it will be Magda.  It was not until the second time I watched that I truly appreciated her acting abilities.
Oh, Roger!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2002, 03:18:39 PM »
Joan Bennett:  Judith.  I loved the early Liz, but Judith is my favorite.  Has been ever since that one scene where she collapses against the door and her face breaks into a cat-that-swallowed-the-canary grin.  You'll know what I'm talking about once it happens.

John Karlen: Willie.  He brought so much to the part.  Don't get me wrong, I thought he was good in all the characterizations, but there was so much shading and humanity in Willie Loomis that it's the one I would pick.

Nancy Barrett: Millicent.  She's great in everything she did, but Millicent was just such a ditz ;)

Louis Edmonds: 1966 nasty, vicious, acerbic Roger.  Not stuffy then, just meaner than a snake and great fun to watch.

Thayer David: His Petofi was brilliant, but you asked for favorites so I'll be boring and go with Professor Stokes.  I liked the unexpected streak he brought to the character.

Kathryn Leigh Scott: Kitty, Lady Hampshire.  Her best work on the show and it was nice to see KLS stretch her acting chops.

Grayson Hall: I'll go with Magda on this one.  Great fun to watch.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2002, 04:45:13 PM »
    You surprised me, Luciaphil.  I thought that you would make mention of the original characterization of Maggie as being your favorite.  I agree with your choice of Lady Kitty but the "Eve Arden" like waitress would have been a good strong character and it is too bad the writers changed it.
    PS.  When can we expect another column.  I live for your critique of clothes.  Did you catch the ochre pantyhose with Maggie's navy blue dress?  Odd eye-make up on the ladies?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2002, 10:49:15 PM »

PS.  When can we expect another column.  I live for your critique of clothes.  Did you catch the ochre pantyhose with Maggie's navy blue dress?  Odd eye-make up on the ladies?

Unfortunately, it may be a bit and I won't be doing one on this past week's episodes.  I'm sort of inundated in my last semester right now and I'm trying to get ahead in my school work because I'm in a wedding party next week and I'm going to be losing my mind then :(

Luciaphil

P.S. The white shoes are soooo wrong.  Forget Labor Day, they totally don't go with the clothes she's wearing.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2002, 11:00:32 PM »
 I am sorry, Luciaphil.  I didn't want to pressure you but thanks for the mini-critique.  I will content myself with re-reading your past columns.  Take it easy.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer