Author Topic: Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 21877 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »
Isn't today's capture a scene that was stolen, almost line for line, in the Depp Shadows?  I saw a clip that I"m sure had this line in it, and the set-up was nearly identical although of course, the Tim Burton version looked about 500 times better.

Except for taking place on a terrace, the scenes aren't all that similar. Check out footage:

The '91 DS:[spoiler]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/DS91-6.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/DS91-6.swf</a>
[/spoiler]

The 2012 DS:[spoiler]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/DS12-8.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/DS12-8.swf</a>
[/spoiler]

(You may need to right-click on the image and uncheck/check "play" to start it. And you may need to uncheck "play" to stop it.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »
I know it was only last year that I posted about this, but I can never say enough about how much I enjoy this moment in Ep #11:

Ep #11 - Angelique: 'Of course I am not dead. Do I look dead?'

Not that the moment is meant to be funny - nor is it even unintentional funny - but the way Lysette Anthony delivers the line so innocently never fails to make me laugh because the situation itself is so absurd and can only happen on a show like DS.

[hall2_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »
I had to go back and re-read the early posts in this thread about this deleted sequence.

It's too bad the 1991 series did not include this material in the broadcast cut, AND continue with this kind of layered narrative--it would have been far better if it had.  Just my opinion, of course.

When you look at this scene, and then you look at the content of the final episode, after all the interference from the NBC suits had botched things up so badly--well, its' hard not to feel regret for what might have been--and I write that, as is well known, from the perspective of someone who is not a fan of this redaction of DS.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2013, 09:17:49 PM »
Feeling intense excitement knowing that the epic shot of Michael Weiss' bare chest is coming up, I came to this thread for the spiritual refreshment I always receive from the revelation of such Sublime Beauty.  Why, a feeling of such deep religious devotion comes over me it's all I can do not to drop to my knees.

And I had forgotten that those delectable shots of Weiss in The Howling IV were here as well.  Hubba Hubba!  (ancient Sumerian expression of profound religious awe)

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2013, 08:30:46 PM »
Until I actually paid attention to today's capture, I'd completely forgotten what great moments Julia/Barbara Steele has during the costume party sequences in Ep #6.

Work that fan, Julia!!  [ghost_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2013, 12:08:38 AM »
What a wonderful portrait of her.  I love Barbara's work in this scene, and as you know, for me she was one of the very few bright spots about this series.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2014, 03:48:29 AM »
Just curious, is today's 1991 shot of Barnabas and Vicki (maybe at the Old House, but I'm not sure?) from additional footage not in the original broadcast?

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2014, 04:10:09 AM »
No that was in the original broadcast. It's from the scene in which Barnabas first brings Vicki to Josette's room to show her Josette's portrait.

A good way to know whether or not something was from the original broadcast or restored is that it's indicated as being "extended," as with the most recent and actually last bit restored to the pilot:

Ep #1 (Extended) - Carolyn: 'It'd be, uh, kind of tough to
leave, you know, right now.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
I've finally gotten the chance to get back to this. The captures/quotes in question:

Ep #4 - Victoria (referring to the woman and child in the painting):
'Do you know who this is?'

Ep #4 - Roger: 'Miss Winters. This room... and everything in it...
doesn't exist anymore.'

come from scenes in Ep #4 that were actually scripted for the pilot, presumably as a followup to the scene in which David scared Victoria with a tarantula in a cigar box in his desk. The scenes were never included in the pilot but, thankfully, like the scene in reply #54, they were rescued and became a part of Ep #4.

Considering that these two captures have come up in the slideshow again, it's a perfect opportunity for me to mention that I keep forgetting to explain that the scene in Roger's studio and the previous scene in Ep #4 in the classroom between David and Vicki in which he shows her the painting in his desk (which does not make an appearance in the slideshow) were originally scripted to appear in the pilot between the scene in which Julia plans to give Daphne an injection but then decides it can wait and the scene in which Willie comes to deliver an invitation to Vicki from Barnabas while Vicki and David are out in the courtyard.

Actually, even with the restoration of scenes on the MPI tape there are still scenes that do not appear in the pilot. Plus, just as with the '04 pilot, some scenes were juggled around. So, maybe one of these days we'll do something to show how the pilot for this series was originally intended to play...

Another interesting thing about Ep #4 is that though Wayne Tippet's name appears in the credits, Dr. Fisher is nowhere to be seen - though he is referenced in the scene at the sheriff's station when Deputy Harker informs the sheriff that Dr. Fisher and the coroner have taken Prof. Woodard's body to the hospital. The only thing that seems to exist from Tippet's part in Ep #4 appears to be a photo of a scene that took place at Collinwood with Roger, Elizabeth, Dr. Fisher, Mrs. Johnson and Julia listening to someone (presumably the sheriff) telling them something, which presumably took place after the scenes at the sheriff's station because Julia is wearing the same clothes as she does throughout the first several scenes of the ep.

And speaking of that photo, another photo from that scene with Dr. Fisher, a color photo, was published as part of the "Dark Shadows In Primetime" chapter in the PomPress book "Return To Collinwood".

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2014, 09:18:20 PM »
I can't recall whether this link was posted in the past--a fan compiled all the 1991 DS deleted scenes together into this YT video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGbleX9eqHI

It opens with a Roger/Liz scene, discussing David.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2015, 04:12:41 AM »
Here's an interesting review of the DVD issue of DS 91, written by retired film editor David Ice and posted on Amazon.

G.

After reading all the comments about this DVD set, I was very curious to see for myself. I am a retired sound editor (I worked for years on M*A*S*H and over 65 feature films) and was intimately involved in post production for television for many years. I would like to add my own comments.

First of all, the letterbox anamorphic 16x9 transfer is a construct for this DVD release. The series was shot, in 1990-91, in the 4x3 aspect ratio. However, all framing was composed for "TV Safe" which is the safe title area. If you crop a TV Safe picture vertically, you get 16x9 almost exactly. What you get on this transfer is what was considered essential during prime photography. Uncropped vertical picture area is just icing on the cake. What you see is what Dan Curtis and MGM deemed absolutely essential. Credits are presented in the 4x3 aspect ration, but if you watch closely there are title and credit elements that push the far boundries of TV Safe, which is why they are presented that way rather can cut off any copyright notices, studio ownership warnings, etc.

In terms of the day for night photography, I double checked the DVD off of my off-the-air SVHS recordings, which I recorded during the original broadcast. They are very, very close.

One must bear in mind that the broadcast technology of the time requred the studios to turn over a 35mm low contrast positive composite print of the show, which was transferred to NTSC video standard. The dynamic range of the telecine and broadcast bandwidth was much more limited than they are now. Simply compare, say, current episodes of CSI and Dark Shadows....and Dark Shadows almost looks like high-key sitcom lighting! For example, the scene where Daphne Collins walks through Collinsport just before Barnabas' first attack is so brightly lit it's comical--but this was the norm for TELEVISION filming at the time, not theatrical. The excellent day-for-night filming on House of Dark Shadows would not transfer over to a broadcast without significant print re-timing for broadcast standards. Nowdays, with HDTV and digital broadcasting, the dynamic range is much larger and almost feature film latitude. But in the 90's the broadcast spectrum was limited and both sound and color dynamics had to be intensely limited. (If you want another comparison, look at an original episode of Bonanza...the colors are almost exclusively pastel (no bright reds, greens, blues) because color broadcast simply could not handle intense primary colors.)

Another thing to remember about the film grain, etc., is that the series was shot and designed for the average 25 to 30" television of the time period. Higher speed film (and dubious Metrocolor processing!) was used to speed production and cut costs. Day for night filming was used because 1) it was cheaper and 2) far less time consuming than filming endless "magic hour" shots at dusk. With a vampire series, it would be utterly impractical to do endless night shoots plus daytime soundstage work (when do the actors and crew sleep?) so shooting day-for-night and timing the print slightly dark blue was a necessary cheat.

Yes, MGM could have timed the print darker for the DVD...but that would have necessitated reprinting/retiming nearly 50,000 feet of 35mm film, probably off a faded, scratched negative that had not been archivally preserved. (Few TV shows ever are!)

And we must realize that Dark Shadows is a niche market...we're not talking Desperate Housewives here...in terms of thousands of DVD units sold.

So all things considered, I'm glad we've got a reasonably timed/fairly accurate color/fairly scratch-free answer print to watch--in all probability, the same physical film that was originally broadcast on NBC. I'm encouraged that any elements were preserved at all--especially the stereo soundtrack. You would be appalled at how many "classic" television shows exist now only in 16mm versions, their original 35mm elements long gone.

I will agree that some DVD extras would have been worthwhile, and perhaps that will come in time. But considering that this transfer is clear enough to see the dirt on the opticals I'm convinced that this is the best transfer we could hope for, barring a full-blown digital restoration.

David Ice

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2015, 04:38:06 AM »
Quote from: David Ice
In terms of the day for night photography, I double checked the DVD off of my off-the-air SVHS recordings, which I recorded during the original broadcast. They are very, very close.

Considering the mayor differences between the screen caps I've posted from my original recordings and/or the MPI VHS and from the DVDs, his idea of "very, very close" and mine are, well, very, very different!  [snow_undecided]

For example, the scene where Daphne Collins walks through Collinsport just before Barnabas' first attack is so brightly lit it's comical--but this was the norm for TELEVISION filming at the time, not theatrical.

And again, the lighting in that scene as it was broadcast on NBC/exists on the MPI VHS does not look so brightly lit as to be comical. On the other hand, the DVD version is most definitely so brightly lit as to look comical.

But in any case, thank you, Gothick, for sharing the review.  [snow_smiley]