Author Topic: Patton Oswalt: “Wake Up, Geek Culture. Time to Die.”  (Read 799 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Patton Oswalt: “Wake Up, Geek Culture. Time to Die.”
« on: December 30, 2010, 06:57:55 PM »
An excerpt from a Patton Oswalt essay that's referenced in this article states that geeks watch and obsess over DS like they obsess over their eighth-level half-elf ranger character in Dungeons & Dragons. Hmmm... But as odd as it sounds I'm not actually sure that that's not a compliment. The article goes on and on and I haven't got the time or the inclination to read it all, so I don't really see what type of a point he's making. But if someone does have the time and the inclination to read it all, I'd be interested to read their opinion.

Check out: Patton Oswalt: “Wake Up, Geek Culture. Time to Die.”

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Patton Oswalt: “Wake Up, Geek Culture. Time to Die.”
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
Apparently EW.com is getting in on things: Patton Oswalt thinks geek culture must die so that geek culture can live. Paradox!

And here's a link to Oswalt's entire piece (which I didn't realize was online when I'd posted before): Wake Up, Geek Culture. Time to Die

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Patton Oswalt: “Wake Up, Geek Culture. Time to Die.”
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:06:21 PM »
Thanks!  And it was Patton Oswalt's geeky character on King of Queens that was headed to a DS convention in his Barnabas "costume."  Some of the comments made in that episode, while amusing, didn't exactly paint DS fans in a good light.