Author Topic: When in Rome....  (Read 2299 times)

Offline DSFAN4EVER

• Junior Poster
  • ...yeah, yeah I know BIG TEETH run in our family!!
    • View Profile
When in Rome....
« on: September 26, 2002, 07:32:09 PM »
Just because he's back in the late 1700's again, and he has his fangs back,[vryevl] you mean to tell me he couldn't resist his lust for blood?  Okay, I could understand why he bit Nathan Forbes, but there was no need to go after the old tramp on the docks.  He could have just knocked her out or something.  What the hell, he's leaving that time soon any way, no?   [hdscrt]
PEACE TO ALL!!!!

DSFAN4EVER

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: When in Rome....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 07:36:58 PM »

Not the time to be doing that when he's only got one hour to dispose of the body, and go and break people out of jail.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 11:38:11 PM »
[scrm][scrm]Scream!!! It is a compulsion that is too strong to fight, we are led to believe.  Glad that it is just a TV show, movie, or book.  Can't be real can it???
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 12:04:44 AM »
Well, as someone who absolutely can NOT sit through church with an itch and not scratch it, I sympathize with Barney. I think it is one of those things that we non-vampires have trouble understanding! [wink2]

Another comparison is as a recovering alcoholic, I know that I can't have one drink without a physiological change leading to irresistable cravings. Those who don't drink seem to have a much better understanding than those who can have one and put it down. They are more like: "Just have one! No problem!"
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2002, 04:42:18 AM »
Just because he's back in the late 1700's again, and he has his fangs back,[vryevl] you mean to tell me he couldn't resist his lust for blood?  Okay, I could understand why he bit Nathan Forbes, but there was no need to go after the old tramp on the docks.  

Yes  because  the writers needed a way to sneak Angelique back in...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2002, 06:50:28 AM »
Yes  because  the writers needed a way to sneak Angelique back in...

well, *duh*

and why are we even in 179X?
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Connie

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2002, 07:22:54 AM »
well, *duh*

Because we LIKE it there.  Reason enough.

-CLC
"duh"

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2002, 08:36:52 AM »

well, *duh*

Supposidly to save Vicky from the gallows.

What gets me is that if he can do this, then why didn't he go back before Josette died and save her? [hdscrt]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2002, 11:44:58 AM »
 What gets me is that if he can do this, then why didn't he go back before Josette died and save her? [hdscrt]

So did Barnabas really love Josette?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2002, 05:00:31 PM »
    I am so glad Cassandra brought this up. If Barnabas can time travel why didn't he go back to Martinique and keep his pants zipped?  He could have gone back and saved his sister or his mother but Nooooo!  He saves some putz that went back of her own free will to a fate she knew would happen.  All this for a  woman who was in love with someone else.  I think all the other deaths just are not worth it . Josette, Sarah, Bathia, Naomi, Abigail, Trask, assorted street tarts. Did I leave anybody out?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2002, 07:41:33 PM »
but Nooooo!  He saves some putz that went back of her own free will to a fate she knew would happen.

[lghy]  Love that line!  And so true.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2002, 09:13:42 PM »
    I am so glad Cassandra brought this up. If Barnabas can time travel why didn't he go back to Martinique and keep his pants zipped?  He could have gone back and saved his sister or his mother but Nooooo!  He saves some putz that went back of her own free will to a fate she knew would happen.  All this for a  woman who was in love with someone else.  I think all the other deaths just are not worth it . Josette, Sarah, Bathia, Naomi, Abigail, Trask, assorted street tarts. Did I leave anybody out?

because Barnabas can be a male fluff head at times!?!?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2002, 09:28:14 PM »

Well, to be fair, Barnabas was not about changing the course of history so much as he was obsessed with the idea of saving his precious Victoria. In doing so he called upon the spirit of Peter Bradford, who has proven an ability to will his spirit back and forth across time, to draw him to the night in 1796 when Vicki was hanged. It is doubtful that Peter gave much thought to anyone other than Vicki, such as Naomi or Sarah; his purpose in bringing Barnabas back was to save Vicki.

It's not until Barnabas learns of the powers of the I-Ching that he acquires the ability to travel through time on his own; a case could be made at that time for him to travel back to 1795 and try to re-do his life. He does, in fact, attempt to correct the mistake he made with Josette when he travels back to the 1700's once again after the 1897 story line is over.

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2002, 11:41:52 PM »

It's not until Barnabas learns of the powers of the I-Ching that he acquires the ability to travel through time on his own; a case could be made at that time for him to travel back to 1795 and try to re-do his life. He does, in fact, attempt to correct the mistake he made with Josette when he travels back to the 1700's once again after the 1897 story line is over.

How convenient....to just be able to "I-Ching" back to any time and fix your mistakes.  And if you screw up, you can always go back again!  lol.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2002, 11:59:37 PM »
Time travel/Parallel Time stories on DS were a cost saving device.  Keep moving the same actors around through time and you could have a plethora of characters without having to hire more people at union wages.

The difficulty in such stories is that they are VERY complicated to construct well....so that they make at least SOME sense.  It's pretty well established by now that Dan Curtis didn't put (or allow anyone else to put)  that much effort into it.  He didn't mind using the device...he simply didn't use it well.

John Karlen once said that being multiple characters later in the show was like working in a repertory company......for his sake, I'm glad he saw it in such a positive light.....I think it looks more like indentured servitude.

RP
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas