Author Topic: Robservations 9/25/02 - #662/663 - Barnabas & Yet Another 18th Century Doxy  (Read 1480 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
662 - (Thayer David) - The night holds many terrors for those who live at Collinwood. On this night, Barnabas Collins will experience a kind of terror he has never known before, for he has successfully transcended the barriers of time and space and returned to the 18th century, to relive and attempt to change one 24-hour period in history.

Barnabas notices that Peter and Vicki's gravestones are gone, so he realizes he has been successful in returning to the past. Ben comes over to him--I thought you had gone into town to find Forbes, he says. Barnabas remarks, "I have returned on the right night," a statement which Ben finds confusing. Barnabas knows--now I must go to the village to finish what I started. Ben asks Barnabas if he feels all right. I'm going to do something no one else ever has, says Barnabas--change the course of history!
Ben is further puzzled at this statement--I don't understand a word you're saying. Barnabas says he wants Ben to help him--go back to Collinwood and tell Joshua Forbes got away and took a carriage to Bangor--I went after him and won't be back until morning. Ben suggests Joshua might go to Bangor and look for you. Barnabas smiles--that's exactly what I want him to do. Ben agrees, even though he isn't sure what his master is up to. When Forbes gets to the house within an hour, says Barnabas, make sure he goes into the den. Ben understands--but I hope you know what you're doin'. I know, as will Forbes, soon, smiles Barnabas. Ben stares after him, perplexed.

Nathan drinks in the Eagle and calls for the waitress, promising not to bother her anymore. He pours himself another drink in the deserted tavern and quaffs it, calling to "Peach" that he doesn't like drinking alone. Barnabas comes in and calls him. The scene plays out pretty much as we saw in the last episode, with them discussing Naomi and how she committed suicide because of Nathan. Barnabas brings up Daniel, and Millicent, too, and the exchange is the same. Forbes pulls his pistol. I'm almost tempted to tell you, sneers Barnabas, but you wouldn't believe it. It amuses Barnabas to hear Forbes thinks he's the Collinsport Strangler. Shoot me! orders Barnabas. Nathan fires; Barnabas tells him he can't kill a man who's already dead. Forbes is visibly terrified, commenting Barnabas isn't human. Barnabas tells him to think things over until 9--if you do what I ask you, I might let you live--if you refuse, I'll kill you--nine o'clock, Forbes, repeats Barnabas, and disappears before Forbes' disbelieving eyes. Nathan leaves the tavern.

We have a new Vicki, one who looks much like Alex Moltke, and even more like future DS star Kate Jackson. Barnabas appears in her cell, touching her hair. She's stunned to see him. He tells her he's come back. That's impossible, you're dead! insists Vicki. He tells her not to be frightened--I'm not dead. Josette told me you had died, she says. Everyone thought so, he says, but I was put under a spell by Angelique. Then you know Angelique was the witch, says Vicki. Yes, I learned soon after we were married, he replies--I planned to tell the authorities, but she stopped me by putting me under this spell. How was the spell broken, she asks. I don't know, he says--I've got to help you now. She asks how he got into her cell and he explains the jailer let him in while she was sleeping. He's holding her hand. She tells him they're hanging her tonight, and it can't be stopped. Barnabas says I returned to stop them--and I will. I know I should be grateful, she says--you he won't be able to understand this, but so many things have happened since I last saw you. Barnabas doesn't care--you're in trouble and you aren't going to die. Listen, she pleads--there's someone else, a young man you don't know. I know more than you think, he assures her, and names Peter Bradford--Ben told me everything--I know how much Peter means to you. Peter's going to die on the gallows soon after I do, she says. Neither of you will die, promises Barnabas. I returned to my future time for a while, then realized I couldn't live without Peter's love, says Vicki--that's why I was willing to come back to the past, to be with the man I love--in death.
Barnabas asks if she wouldn't rather be with him in life. If I thought it were possible, replies Vicki. He puts his arm around her and assures her it is--trust me--before the sun rises tomorrow morning, you and Peter will be free. Heartbroken, Barnabas hugs Vicki.

Ben leaves the servants' quarters at Collinwood. Forbes bursts in, asking for Joshua. He's gone, says Ben, I don't know where. Forbes wants to tell Joshua about Barnabas--no one else saw him there. Ben comments how scared Nathan looks. I shot him, into his chest, says Forbes, but he didn't die, he just vanished. Ben reports that Barnabas is a vampire, put under a curse that's destroyed the whole family, and will Barnabas, too. Forbes can't believe it--Barnabas threatened to kill me. I'm surprised he didn't, says Ben, he blamed you for Naomi's death, and he's right. Forbes has until 9. Not much time left, points out Ben. The dogs howl. That means Barnabas is near, Ben tells Forbes. Nathan looks outside, terrified, then closes the doors. Ben, heading to Joshua's study to be alone, says he can't help Nathan--I can't speak to him on your behalf, says Ben, that's HIS job! Forbes begs Ben not to leave him here. We see Barnabas' portrait. Nathan follows him into the study, accusing Ben of knowing about Barnabas, of protecting him and allowing him to go on killing people. I tried to stop him once, says Ben, he even begged me to do it.
After all the same dialogue we heard between Ben and Joshua, Ben reveals the only way to destroy Barnabas--the wooden stake through the heart--of course, Forbes won't be around in the morning to do the task. Ben laughs over this again. The dogs howl, and the two men know Barnabas is getting closer. Forbes tries to make Ben stay with him, then spots what he thinks is his salvation--the crossbow and arrows. Forbes changes tactics and says it isn't fair to keep Ben with him. He encourages him to go--"so I don't have to die a coward's death." Ben asks Forbes if he has something up his sleeve. Nathan suggests he leave the room--"GO ON, LEAVE ME ALONE!" he screams. Ben goes. Forbes takes down the crossbow and an arrow, remembering what Ben told him about the wooden stake. It's very close to nine.

Forbes tries out the crossbow as he did the first time around, leaning against the door, backing off, aiming at it. It works. Barnabas checks the clock and heads for the study. Nathan is poised with the crossbow and arrow, waiting for Barnabas to come to the door. Barnabas arrives. Forbes aims. The door opens; we only see Barnabas' shadow, then nothing!
Forbes steps forward and aims at open air, stunned. Where is Barnabas? He looks out the door, staring wildly around. He closes the door and hears Barnabas call him. Nathan, sweating, looks around--"Where are you?" Over here, says Barnabas, but it's only his voice. Nathan crazily swings the crossbow around, demanding Barnabas show himself. Whatever happened couldn't he helped, cries Forbes. The room grows darker. Nathan screams, "Why don't you show yourself??" He paces the room, crossbow poised, but Barnabas grabs him around the throat from behind.

NOTES: EXCELLENT show, and what a superb ending! I love 1795/96, and it's an immense pleasure to see this playing out again--if differently. I prefer the new Vicki over Betsy, and think it would have been nice to keep her around.

Basically, with Joshua off on an errand Barnabas invented, Ben took on his lines, but you could see how immensely pleased the servant was to see Nathan get his comeuppance--and how quickly and easily he slid into place with this "new, improved" Barnabas!

We wonder--did Barnabas kill Forbes this time? He hasn't done what Barnabas wanted him to do for Vicki yet!

663 - (Thayer David) - The secrets of time and space are no longer a mystery to one man at Collinwood. Barnabas Collins has known this house for almost 200 years. Now he has gone back to it as it was in the year 1796. He has embarked on a daring and dangerous plan to change the events of one 24-hour period in history.

Barnabas toys with Nathan, hiding, allowing him to hear only his voice, before grabbing him around the throat. They struggle, and Nathan begs Barnabas not to kill him--I didn't want your mother to die! Barnabas leans Nathan over a table, throttling him, threatening him--you're going to do exactly as I tell you! Nathan agrees, choking until Barnabas finally releases his grip. Forbes falls into a chair and Barnabas, holding the crossbow, tells him he showed more ingenuity than he gave him credit for--that weapon is one of the few that could have killed me. Barnabas takes a sheet of paper out of the desk and demands a signed confession exonerating Vicki and Peter of their crimes. Nathan tells him he's wrong, but Barnabas yanks him from the chair--I'm  not going to argue with you, ordering, "Write that confession!" Nathan refuses to incriminate himself, but Barnabas believes he'd rather be in prison than die in this room.
If you need my help that desperately, points out Nathan cagily, you can't afford to kill me--I don't want to go to jail, so we should agree on a compromise. Barnabas once again grabs Nathan's throat, telling him there will be no compromise--he'll write and sign the confession! Nathan agrees, too easily, then tells Barnabas HE must do the same--your sins look pale beside mine, and I want everyone to know what you are--if you won't reveal it yourself, I will. They parry a bit, but Nathan believes Barnabas won't kill him if he wants to save Vicki and Peter--he has weapons of his own, and he won't sign anything until he knows what his own fate will be. Barnabas assures him he can take care of him without resorting to killing him, using the powers he has now--you can't dictate to me--you're a pathetic fool if you only think killing is my answer. Nathan grows nervous, asking why Barnabas is staring at him like that. "Keep away from me!" cries Nathan, but Barnabas, fangs bared, attacks him as Nathan screams.

Ben exits the servants' quarters as Barnabas comes out, asking Ben his help. Nathan is sprawled in a chair, staring straight ahead, the scrawled confession on his knee. Ben asks Barnabas what he did to him. Barnabas explains he used "a little persuasion"--I couldn't kill him because I want him to be well enough to survive in jail--the lieutenant signed a confession and we're taking him to the authorities. Ben reminds him Forbes now knows what he is, but Barnabas says he won't tell anyone; he's far too afraid and his willpower is gone. Barnabas reads the confession and deems it perfect, excellent. He tells Nathan they're taking him to the constable--and you're not to forget your instructions. Like an automaton, Nathan says, "No one forced me to sign that confession, every word of it is true." Barnabas is pleased. He and Ben lead the trancelike Nathan out. Millicent, in a lovely blue gown, troops downstairs. She sees them taking Nathan away and asks where they are going with her husband. She receives no reply and they exit. Millicent opens the door and calls out, "Where are you taking him?" She grabs her coat, preparing to go after them.

Ben paces the docks. Barnabas meets him. Forbes is safely in jail, he says, and Bradford will be released later tonight. Not Vicki, though, Forbes' confession wasn't good enough to help her. But, points out Ben, Nathan lied at the trial. The magistrate thinks there's too much other incriminating evidence, says Barnabas, distracted by a doxy walking past. Ben says they only have two hours, but Barnabas, appetite whetted, orders him to go back to Collinwood. Ben reminds him he made a promise, but Barnabas impatiently repeats his orders and tells Ben not to argue with him. (He's hungry.) The doxy eyes Barnabas almost as hungrily as he's eyeing her.

Nathan sits in his cell, oblivious to Millicent calling to him. He seems to awaken, saying her name. You sound like you barely recognize me, she complains--I saw them taking you from the house and wanted to find out why you're in jail. Nathan stands, comes over to her, softly speaks her name. Perhaps you can help me, he suggests. I find this place too drafty, she whines--have you noticed it? He begs her to listen, and try, please, try, to understand what he's going to tell her. She nods ditzily, and says my problem is that I've known you only too well--why am I always willing to listen to you?
He gazes at her, pressing his head against the bars, as though already sensing defeat.

The doxy sashays over to Barnabas and they greet each other. She was afraid his friend wouldn't leave, but now that they're alone, they can get acquainted. I'm Crystal, she says, and asks for his name, but he is reluctant to give it. How can we get acquainted if you don't? she asks. She places her hand on his cheek and asks if he's afraid--or just shy?--I think I've met you somewhere before. Angrily, Barnabas says no. You don't have to get angry, says Crystal, but you do look familiar--do you go to the Eagle? He walks away and says he's been there before. She suggests they go there for a drink, but he says he'd rather not. She pouts that she's made a mistake; she thought he wanted to be with her. He assures her he does. She wants to go somewhere warmer. She touches his lapel insinuatingly. Barnabas asks if they can stay out here and talk. "Talk?" she asks, again caressing his face. "You're a strange one, aren't you?" Suddenly, she recognizes him as Barnabas Collins, which agitates him. I used to see you all the time, she says, coming and going to your father's office. He orders her to listen to him. Crystal chortles, I knew you, but you didn't know me!--ha, fancy this, me meeting Barnabas Collins--wait until I tell the girls at the Eagle. Barnabas turns menacing--you aren't going to tell anyone anything. Afraid of him, she begins backing away. He leans her down over some crates and bows his head to bite her, his face absolutely vicious, fangs bared.

Millicent badgers Nathan about why he's in jail. You haven't been listening, he says--you haven't heard one word I've said. She assures him she has, but it makes no sense. Take my word and trust me, please, begs Nathan. I did that before, she says, and I'm sorry. Forget the past, he says, we'll make a new start. I'd like that, she says. Something must first be done about Barnabas, insists Nathan. That's the part I don't understand, says Millicent--I was so sure Barnabas was dead. Impatiently, he reminds her--you saw him taking me out of the house tonight, didn't you? Yes, she agrees. Then he can't be dead, right?, asks Nathan. No, he can't, says Millicent, but why did we all think he was? Nathan paces the cell and says "because of what he's become." I'm confused, Millicent says. I can't say why, Nathan explains, but Barnabas is trying to kill me, and you must help me--I will tell you how Barnabas can be destroyed, but you must promise to do something about it. (Isn't she one of Barnabas' victims herself by this time?--Naomi committed suicide because she caught her son feasting on his cousin's throat.) I promise to try, says Millicent. Find a wooden stake and hammer, orders Nathan, and go to the tower room during the day, where he sleeps in a coffin--you must take that stake and drive it through his heart. Millicent stares at him, horrified. She says she thinks she understands and again promises to try. Barnabas must be destroyed before it's too late, says Nathan. She complains about the chill and says she'll return to Collinwood, but come to see him tomorrow. He stares after her, shaking his head, knowing his wife is whacked out.

Ben, on the landing when Barnabas returns, hurries downstairs to meet him--I was afraid something happened to you this time, says the servant. Barnabas, ashamed, mumbles, "I didn't think what it would be like being this way again", puzzling Ben with the "again." I had forgotten how powerful the urge for blood would be and how hard it would be to resist it, adds Barn. Ben asks if he's feeling all right. No, says Barn, not until I do what I came here to do. We only have an hour, points out Ben--how will we do it? By force, says Barnabas--help her escape from jail. Too well-guarded, insists Ben. Barnabas says he needs time to think, just a few moments.
Ben protests there isn't time to think, but Barnabas goes to his father's study anyway. Ben is perturbed.

Barnabas enters the study and looks out the window. He is deep in thought as he sits down and gnaws his knuckles. He senses something isn't right. Turning around, he sees the dead body of Crystal, his victim, sitting in the chair, her hair a limp, wet mass over her dead face.
NOTES: That woman Barnabas bit wasn't especially pretty, but it doesn't matter, because it all ends the same. There is a BIG surprise coming up in the next ep. You'll love it. Nancy Barrett and Joel Crothers did a beautiful job in their roles, but for a vampire victim to tell someone about the vampire goes against this lore as I know it. Nathan shouldn't have been able to say a word about Barnabas to Millicent. Couldn't you feel Nathan's frustration as he tried to get through to his wife (who is also a vampire victim and SHOULD be unable to harm Barnabas).

Still, a pretty cool episode, and fun, too!

Love, Robin

DVD

DVD episodes for August 4th and 5th.
The 7th and 8th episodes on Set#12/Disc#1 (2nd and 3rd episodes on MPI tape Volume #86)