Author Topic: Annoucing a new fanzine!!  (Read 902 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Annoucing a new fanzine!!
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »
I wanted to make sure it was okay to write this on the boards and the moderators said it was. 

I am currently working on a new untilted fanzine.  It will be a one shot devoted to anything and everyting about the original DS and 1991 version. The fanzine is for charity and all the proceeds will go towards the restoration of Seaview Terrace.  I was trying to come up with a way for me to give back and this what I do best.  In 1998 I did my first fanzine called The Lara Zine.  I am not boasting but it came out beautifully and was well received by many.  Fanzines are currently very dead in fandom as TWODS is no longer being printed.  And the only one I know of is Karlenzine. However, I feel that can change! Talking with fans I have learned that many still long for tangible material, books etc.  So I have decided to put together a fanzine slated for Halloween of 2011!  I have a great set of co editors and already there is lots' of enthusiasm and people are contacting me daily about ordering and/or submitting to the zine. If the zine sells well there may be more one shots and possibly a yearly zine in the future. I think it's a great time to strike with the upcoming movie fanzines could be introduced to a whole new generation.  Fanzines still run strong in many other fandoms.

If you are an creative person and feel you have something to share please feel free to contact me if you are interested in contributing to this charitable endeavor.  I will have two sections especially devoted to stories from those who have visited Seaview and a section called "Shadows Stories" with essays/stories about how people came to love Dark Shadows and fandom.  Artist are the hardest to find so if you know of any artists or are an artist please get in touch with me. The deadline for submissions is August 1 2011! 

Happy Holidays to all my cousins and I wish you nothing but a wonderful prosperous new year! [Chanukah8]

Yours Truly

Taeylor Collins

[8_2_59] [8_2_77]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

David

Re: Annoucing a new fanzine!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »
 [8_2_59]
This sounds like a GREAT idea.
I can see myself giving this mag a rave review in Scary Monsters & Videoscope Mags!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
Love this idea, Cousin Taeylor.  I am sure the result will be a rare gem!

I still dream of someday doing a one-off zine, "Cheekbones: for the Grayson Hall Connoisseur."  I also contemplate doing a short book about various performances of hers and self-publishing it on Lulu.

Has a fund been set up for those who wish to donate on behalf of the restoration of Seaview?  Judging from what I saw on my visits there in the 1990s, it would be a very expensive project, alas.

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:07:56 AM »
I don't know that a fund has been set up but I am sure you could send any donations to Denise Carey. We raised 14k this passed Halloween. People who had been there the year before saw the renovations that had been made in between visits so Denise is using it to renovate. It will take LOTS of money to restore her to her original beauty but even if it isn't possible to renovate the outside they are going to do their best to renovate the inside. I need to post some of my pictures her for those who are not on Facebook.

I meant to mention I am also accepting donations to the zine fund if anyone wants to donate in that way.  Producing the zine is a labor of love on my part, or anyone for that matter and we all know it takes money. 

Gothick, I really appreciate your kind words.  You are a great cheerleader.  :)  You zine sounds fabulous.  If you ever wanted to donate to Seaview I can put you in touch with Denise Carey. She is a really wonderful, sweet, REAL person who absolutely loves her DS family and has no airs whatsover.

As I said I was told right from the horses mouth that TWODS will no longer be produced.  So the longest running zine is now gone.  It's really the end of an era.  However, new era's can begin.  I am very passionate about this and I really hope that it takes off.  It will probably be priced a little higher than most zines because it's for charity.  However, I am hoping that I will be able to present at least a 150-200 page zine so it will be worth it.  As I said please if you know anyone or if you want to doing anything creative for this endeavor get in touch with me.  I can't do it without the help of others.  :)   [8_2_73]

David your review I am sure would be great for publicity to help sell the zine! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:51:19 AM »
i wish you all the best on this.  Have you reached out to other groups also?
Some of of the yahoo group people have been around for awhile.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 06:32:16 AM »
This is wonderful!! I know you will do well with it.  Can't wait to see the first issue!