Author Topic: The Wyndcliff "Shuttle"  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
The Wyndcliff "Shuttle"
« on: September 23, 2002, 05:03:12 PM »
Hey gang,

When the extremely shy and self-effacing George Steinbrenner took over the Yankees during the early 1970's, he started an air link between Yankee Stadium and Columbus, OH, known as the "Columbus Shuttle."

Whenever a young Yankee ballplayer committed an egregious error or served up the winning pitch to the opposing batter, Mr. Steinbrenner would dispatch the "offending" ballplayer to the Yankees' minor league team, the Columbus Clippers in the so-called "New York Minute.".

Well, I think that the good Dr. Julia Hoffman may have initiated a similar connection between Collinsport and her hospital/clinic, Wyndcliff.  

We all have been led to believe that Julia remains in Collinsport because she carries one of the world's biggest torches for Barnabas (even bigger than the torch that Puff Daddy still carries for J. Lo, if that's humanly possible).  However, I suspect that there is a far more practical reason for the learned psychiatrist's continued presence at Collinwood.  So far, we've seen several residents of Collinwood assigned to Julia's hospital, Maggie, Willie, Mrs. Stoddard, Barnabas, and Molly, I mean, Amy come to mind.  (After today, yet another familiar face makes that trek on the Wyndcliff Shuttle.)

Am I being terribly cynical and awful to suggest that the beloved Dr. Julia Hoffman remains in town because she recognizes that Collinsport is a veritable gold mine of seemingly never-ending patients for her hospital?  (Believe me, there are even more Collinsport residents who will make that short trip to Wyndcliff before the series concludes.)  If Barnabas never responds to Julia's subtle "hints," then why the heck does she stay in town?

Of course, I want to believe that Julia remains in Collinsport for purely selfless and noble reasons.  Just because Collinsport affords Julia a steady stream of patients/customers is no reason to think that she would stay for purely venal reasons.  What do you think?

Bob the Bartender, who hopes that another one of his heroes is not shown to be primarily concerned with filling her "deep pockets."

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: The Wyndcliff "Shuttle"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 06:58:32 PM »
Bob, I think you've hit upon the 'truth' about Dr. Hoffman...but you're assuming the wrong motives.

I don't believe that this stalwart member of the medical profession is driven by greed for money, but rather by the desire for fame and glory.

I believe that Dr. Hoffman is the local head of a government agency conspiracy to study the effects of supernatural phenomenon on unwitting citizens.

You didn't think all those witches and vampires and werewolves and re-animated corpses and ghosts and warlocks just HAPPENED to show up in the same little fishing village did you?

No, the woman is counting on a Nobel Prize for her paper on  "The  Effects of Perpetual Halloween on One Rich Family in Maine, and Their Hapless Employees".

Money's got nothing to do with it!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 07:38:51 PM »
Money's got nothing to do with it!!

Within the medical and legal professions, MONEY has EVERYTHING to do with it...Sounds like you need that shuttle to Wyndcliff ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 08:47:56 PM »
Sounds like you need that shuttle to Wyndcliff ;)

.....and I'd happily get on it, if Willie was still in residence [lghy].....but alas, he's not.  Does anyone know where the hell he IS these days?

RaineyP
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 09:21:32 PM »
You know, Bob, you're onto something here.  It's almost like Starbucks in reverse.  Instead of opening up hoo-hoo house outlets for the patients, Julia goes out hunting for the customers and ship them to the shop.  It really is a great way to maximize profits with no increase of overhead!  Let's start developing a company to promote that idea.  I wonder if Dr. Hoffman got a commission for every new one she sent?  And to top if off, instead of living in that little cottage on the grounds of "the home", she can enjoy the level of lifestyle to which she is obviously becoming accustomed in that palatial mansion.  

Gerard

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 10:15:56 PM »
she carries one of the world's biggest torches for Barnabas (even bigger than the torch that Puff Daddy still carries for J. Lo, if that's humanly possible).

But not bigger than the torch I carry for Craig Slocum!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 10:37:16 PM »
Bob
there is a revolving door there!
jennifer
We need that shuttle here Bob!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2002, 11:16:28 PM »
?!? ?!? I can't remember, was today's episode where Dr. H sends Joe to Wincliff, his last appearance on the show? He did a great job of "playing crazy", I suppose because he has had so many characters model craziness!  [crazy][crazy]
Afan[crazy]
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2002, 11:21:47 PM »
If today was the day when Joe had his dream date with Tom (lol), then, yes, today was the final appearance of Joe Haskell on the series.

However, Joel Crothers has a few more appearances coming up as Lieutenant Nathan Forbes, everybody's favorite scoundrel.

Gothick

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2002, 01:01:36 AM »
[hello]Thanks. Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2002, 01:18:43 AM »
If today was the day when Joe had his dream date with Tom (lol), then, yes, today was the final appearance of Joe Haskell on the series.
Gothick

Actually I don't know what Joe was so concerned about, having vampire Tom on one side and the wolf man on the other. All he had to do was say "Okay Tom, I'll be your man-bitch if you want, but first you're going to have to kill wolfy-boy over there or he'll tear us both to pieces and it's no noogie for you." Then while Tom was sidelined dealing with the furry guy, Joe could have simply run away!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2002, 01:27:34 AM »
Bob,

We know now all the true secrets of Collinsport that you and only you are privy too. . can't you reveal yet another. . .what type of medical plans do these folks have that will pay for Wyndcliffe, a private hospital??

Julia99

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2002, 01:54:57 AM »
I thought that dream performance with the Jennings Bros. was his "finest hour." Must have saved the best for last.

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2002, 04:32:04 AM »
Dear Julia99,

Well, I wouldn't say that you quite know ALL of the Collinsport secrets that I happen to have access to.

On the question of the medical coverage favored by the good people of Collinsport, I'll have to confer with that renowned expert/advocate on medical coverage for all American citizens, and also that paragon of the highest legal standards of the US Senate, the occasionally ethically challenged, but always sartorially splendid, Bob Torricelli.

Bob the Bartender, Collinsport's No. 1 Quidnunc!  

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2002, 05:25:02 AM »
Dear Julia99,

Well, I wouldn't say that you quite know ALL of the Collinsport secrets that I happen to have access to.

Bob the Bartender, Collinsport's No. 1 Quidnunc!  

Well share more. . we're eager for gossip here darlin'
Julia99