Author Topic: David Selby to appear in musical  (Read 2246 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: David Selby to appear in musical
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2002, 11:16:29 PM »
there is a los angeles ds club that is meeting next week, oct 5 at 11:30 a.m. at the westside pavillion.  i was going to suggest going as one of our activities.  this way we can car pool and possible stay cheaply at a hotel if we wanted to party after the show or not drive back from thousand oaks for those far away.

(i personally don't want to drive back from thousand oaks to san pedro)

BTW . . . There are matinee performances on the weekends with lower ticket rates, so an earlier show might be ideal for anyone who has a long commute.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2002, 01:01:13 AM »
BTW . . . There are matinee performances on the weekends with lower ticket rates, so an earlier show might be ideal for anyone who has a long commute.

i also noticed the group rates with a name of a person to speak to.  so many options to explore.  but i will see the price of the local lodging.  

i have seen david on stage many years ago in night of the iguana.  and you are correct in that he is wonderful.

i also think amanda mcbroom should be equally good.  well i'm hoping to see many of you there i'll post when i know the ticket, who is going from down here type of thing.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2002, 02:45:38 AM »
Hotel rate info from an anonymous source, who I hope doesn't kill me for copying and pasting. Obviously, you should call the hotels to verify the info for the date you want, but this should give you an idea of the options. :)

There are two places in Thousand Oaks that are a 2 minute car ride from the theatre and right next to each other:  (*Rates are for single occupancy)

Best Western Oaks Lodge, 12 Conejo Blvd., Thousand Oaks, 91360.  Price is $57 + tax, $52 with AAA. Continental breakfast, King bed. 805-495-7011

Thousand Oaks Inn, 75 W. Thousand Oaks Blvd., 91360.  A special rate for the Civic Arts Plaza (you just mention it when you register) is $70 + tax for the cheapest rooms, King-size bed, which are not remodeled and face the freeway (i.e. noisy).  Facing away from the frwy. is $80 + tax for a larger remodeled room with a King.  They also provide continental breakfast and refrigerators in the rooms, etc. 805-497-3701

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2002, 12:47:00 AM »
UPDATE: I was contacted via e-mail this afternoon by Mame's executive producer. He is extending some nice options for David's fans. This includes arranging for group rates, and, depending on the dates, arranging for backstage passes and a meeting with David after the show.

So, if the LA fan club decides to make this a group event, I can assist with facilitating this process. If other fans are interested in this sort of thing, please contact me via the Feedback page on my web site. I need to get some idea of numbers and dates before I contact the theatre.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2002, 05:02:59 PM »
Mame is one of my favorite musicals (i. e. it is one of the few whose songs I can actually bear listening to more than once in a given day, week or year) and I look forward to hearing reviews of David's work in this.  I wouldn't have envisioned him as Beau--not a very substantial role for him and not at all his type, but I'm sure he'll put a special spin on it.  He'll definitely infuse the role with his own fabulous courtly charm.

I cherish the memory of seeing him as Lincoln in that wonderful play at the DS Festival some years back.  What a great role for him, and he played it beautifully.  It may be the best thing he's ever done, of the work I have seen of his, certainly.

Steve

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2002, 05:19:19 PM »
I cherish the memory of seeing him as Lincoln in that wonderful play at the DS Festival some years back.  What a great role for him, and he played it beautifully.  It may be the best thing he's ever done, of the work I have seen of his, certainly.

I've not seen Lincoln & James, but he has been working on it since the 97 Fest. First, the story was that he was adapting it as a screenplay. Now, he's going to stick with it as a play with a new title, Better Angels. Or so that was the story this summer. That may have changed. :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2002, 07:09:53 PM »
Dear Criseyde, thank you for sharing the news about Mr. Selby's work on Lincoln & James/Better Angels.

I wish the play could be filmed for presentation on Great Performances (the PBS series).  Its message is more timely than ever, and it should be seen by all Americans, in my opinion.

In an era when taping a US flag to any spare surface and adding some slogan to it passes for patriotism, it is inspiring to see an actor give so much of himself to put forward the kind of vision that is what our country was supposed to foster, or so one would gather from reading the documents left by the people who were on the spot back in the 18th century.

In other news, I wonder whether the science fiction film Mr. S did back in the 70s will ever see the light of home video/DVD?

I'm still looking for at least one photo of Mr. S with Grayson Hall in the play they did at Manhatten Theatre Club together back in the 70s, Ribcage--he must have liked it because he did several other productions of it besides the one with Grayson.

Best wishes,

Steve

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2002, 08:54:46 AM »
UPDATE: I was contacted via e-mail this afternoon by Mame's executive producer. He is extending some nice options for David's fans. This includes arranging for group rates, and, depending on the dates, arranging for backstage passes and a meeting with David after the show.

So, if the LA fan club decides to make this a group event, I can assist with facilitating this process. If other fans are interested in this sort of thing, please contact me via the Feedback page on my web site. I need to get some idea of numbers and dates before I contact the theatre.

oh my god i might pee my pants!  i can hardly wait to get together with the DS fans in LA and let them know about this tid-bid.