Author Topic: PERSISTENT PETOFI  (Read 1574 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
PERSISTENT PETOFI
« on: September 22, 2002, 07:22:08 PM »
SPOILER...

At the close of 1897, we see what appears to be the demise of Count Petofi. However, there was room to resurrect the character and place him into the present storyline (Leviathan) or in 1970PT. One interesting idea would have him spar with another villain type similar to the scene between Angelique and Laura Collins. Do you think this character should of had a new lease on life?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: PERSISTENT PETOFI
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 10:25:05 PM »
SPOILER.......SPOILER......SPOILER.....SPOILER....SPOILER.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Since he caused so much trouble for Quentin in 1897, I think it would be a good idea to bring Petofi back during this storyline and have Quentin's evil ghost haunt him instead of the Collins' family!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 10:28:18 PM »
I'm in favor of anything that would have given Thayer David more scenes on the show, and Petofi was one of his best characters.  Relocating Petofi to the present era would have presented some excellent opportunities, IMO.  I would have loved to see Prof. Stokes on Petofi's trail, working to combat his evil deeds.  While it would obviously have been too difficult for Stokes and Petofi to have had scenes together, I think it would have been fun to see a phone conversation between the two, or various near meetings.  

ProfStokes

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 10:50:47 PM »
While it would obviously have been too difficult for Stokes and Petofi to have had scenes together, I think it would have been fun to see a phone conversation between the two, or various near meetings.

They might of been able to pull something off and yes lots of fun especially when you recall Stoke's confrontation with Angelique during the Dream Curse sequence.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 05:08:45 AM »
No

jennifer
ps as good as he was in this part i like it when villains
die and don't come back!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 09:02:59 AM »
How about a good standoff between Petofi and Judah Zachary?  The two of them were so bad that a confrontation between them would be very interesting.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
At the close of 1897, we see what appears to be the demise of Count Petofi. However, there was room to resurrect the character and place him into the present storyline (Leviathan) or in 1970PT. One interesting idea would have him spar with another villain type similar to the scene between Angelique and Laura Collins. Do you think this character should of had a new lease on life?

Yes I do think that there would have been a thrilling storyline if Petofi came back.  There are so many villains --and heroes -- to spar with.  
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Yes I do think that there would have been a thrilling storyline if Petofi came back.  There are so many villains --and heroes -- to spar with.  

Thanks for your vote of support!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2002, 09:00:40 PM »
I think it would have been just grand to have brought Count Petofi back.  He was so fascinating because of all his eccentricities, plus the fact that his own powers were constantly misfiring in unexpected ways.

Besides Thayer David's amazing strength in the role, the redoubtable Count's return might have lured Violet Welles back to the show.  (She did return for the last few weeks of PT 1841, when her scripts were credited to Gordon Russell.)

I don't see why they couldn't have had a couple of scenes of Petofi and Stokes onscreen together.  They managed this sort of thing fairly smoothly (by the standards of the time) for the 1970 PT storyline.

Gothick

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2002, 09:10:56 PM »
Petofi was one of the show's best villians (another great portrayal by Thayer David) and I'm sure that bringing him into present time would have resulted in some great storylines.  And as others have mentioned, any interaction between him and Prof. Stokes would surely have been fascinating.

Offline Nicole

• Junior Poster
  • ...But I look so innocent
    • View Profile
Re: PERSISTENT PETOFII
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2002, 09:33:50 PM »
On the surface, bringing Petofi back would have been excellent.  As others have mentioned, it would have been great to see him interact with the family and his reappearnce would have given Quentin something to do (why they didn't do anything with him during the present time storyline, I dunno).  

Then again, if the right people weren't writing it, the whole thing would end up being the Dream Curse II: Petofi Style  or the characters spend the entire storyline doing the mind/body switch, which really got annoying after awhile **shudder**

So I'm torn about it

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 05:17:08 PM »
Spoiler

Bringing Petofi back would be great. Thanks to the open
ended way DS did away with him I think they may
have been keeping that idea on a back burner.
After did he or didn't he die in the fire?
I've read lots of great fan fiction on just this theme.