Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1118  (Read 1436 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1118
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:30:02 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1118
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:37 AM »
Did Daniel ever find out about the vampire as a child?   Well, I guess he'd have been told The Secret later in life.   Does every David Henesy grow up to become Louis Edmonds?   Is there a 55 year old (or so) David Collins out there in Fiction Land who looks like Roger?   Oh yes, "Relics of the Anti-Saints" sounds just like Millicent's kind of book!

One of Barnabas's very few pleasures is time-travelling and then getting into conversations with locals where he knows them, but they don't know him.   That and revenge-killing.

80+ year old Ben, yes, a perfect Evil Head Vanquishing Squad....   Get some help!!!   Turns out he's there to look up something in a book I guess, and taunt the Head by promising to destroy it.   If an 80 year old can threaten the Head openly, go away, then come back at a more convenient time to destroy it, then it's not dangerous enough to bother killing!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »
Does every David Henesy grow up to become Louis Edmonds?
If I remember correctly, Daniel is the only case where we see child David Henesy growing up into adult Louis Edmonds, so I don't think we can generalize from that.  It is, on the other hand, interesting to see alternating generations of Louis Edmonds and David Henesy from 1897 to the 1960s - Edward/Edmonds, Jamison/Henesy, Roger/Edmonds, David/Henesy.  It might have something to do with Edward and Roger both marrying Laura.

I'm not too thrilled with the Head.  It's an awfully clunky plot device at the moment.  In other timelines, bad things came to the Collinses because of their own knavishness and/or foolishness.  In 1840, Desmond just happens to bring a Head home with him.  Clumsy.  And how did the Head make it to the far East, where Desmond found it, after its adventures in Bedford?

I'm still bothered by Daniel's sad fate, and also by the fact that it's only a partial answer to the problem of how to explain away the fact that nobody pulled a Grandmamama in 1840 and said to Barnabas, "You're the Secret!"  There's got to be a better way.

Oh, dear me, I always knew I didn't much like 1840, but it's only just now that I'm starting to think about it that I'm getting a pretty clear idea as to why.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Wow, Lydia, all those things you list as problems, I like.   The Head is connected to the Collinses, but they explain later, and I hope I can get away with saying that much.   I think Desmond was already being influenced from the time he first saw the Head, or before, because he was a Collins.  We are told a bit of how the Head got the Far East, but not why, later.   Anyway, I like wondering what route the Head took over the years and why.   And the Head is just such a shocking thing.  It makes the storyline, I think.   Images of the Head accompanied by that music that's used for it stay with me the rest of the day.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »
And the Head is just such a shocking thing.  It makes the storyline, I think.
There's the nub of it, I think.  I'm not a horror fan, so the Head doesn't do a thing for me.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:21:31 AM »
The Head pretty much jumps the shark.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »
Oh dear me, what an image, Uncle Roger!  Bouncy, bouncy...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:39:52 PM »
Alas, Lydia, that's a special effect that Mr. Curtis would have deemed too expensive for our limited budget.  [ghost_nowink] [ghost_smiley]
Fade Away and Radiate