Author Topic: #0049/0050: Robservations 06/21/01: Where's Bill?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0049/0050: Robservations 06/21/01: Where's Bill?
« on: June 20, 2001, 07:44:44 PM »
Episode #49 - A new fear has struck at Collinwood, a fear rooted in the disappearance of someone whose life has been involved with the family that lives in this great house, a fear that reaches down from Widows' Hill and touches others.

Maggie sits in the phone booth at the Inn, telling her father over the phone that she hasn't seen him and that he should try the cannery--at this time of the day, he's been at work for hours--sure, if she hears from him, she'll call him--she said she would--why the sudden interest in Bill Malloy?--OK, Pop, I was just asking--I'll see you later--bye-bye.

Burke comes in and sits at a table, good-naturedly complaining that he never thought he'd get any service around here. A girl's entitled to talk to her Dad, isn't she? teases Maggie As long as it doesn't interfere with my breakfast, says Burke, who orders scrambled eggs, juice, toast and coffee. On the fire, promises Maggie. Burke asks how old Sam is this morning. Just fine, why? asks Maggie. Just asking, says Burke, suddenly calling her name as she's walking away. Your eggs are getting cold, she complains, and I haven't even put them on yet. You haven't seen Malloy, have you? he asks. What is it with Bill Malloy? asks Maggie--you're the third person that's asked me about him today. Who else was interested? queries Burke. Carolyn, Pop, now you, replies Maggie, giving him silverware--what is it?--did he quit his job and go off to Tahiti? I doubt that, says Burke. Let's face it, people like Bill Malloy don't get lost, points out Maggie. I sure hope you're right, says Burke. I'll put your eggs on, she says, and heads behind the counter. Burke looks perturbed.

More coffee, calls Maggie, bringing some over--I expected you at the house this morning--my dad is doing your portrait, isn't he?--I thought you'd be there at the crack of dawn. I guess he didn't tell you, says Burke, I canceled my sitting--other things to do. Like searching for Bill Malloy? asks Maggie. He gazes up at her and thanks her for the coffee. She sits with him and asks if he thinks something might have happened to Malloy. Is that how your dad sounded? asks Burke, sipping his coffee
--you said your father had asked about Malloy--did you get the same feeling from him? No, she says, he just asked me where he was, that's all. I see, says Burke, and smiles--maybe you're right, he says, maybe Bill went to Tahiti--or some other, less exotic place. Joe enters, sits down at the counter, and orders a doughnut and coffee. He sits at the counter. Black, right? she asks--I thought you were a working man--I didn't know the cannery let you come in for doughnuts this time of the day. I've got an in with the boss, says Joe. Or the boss' daughter, laughs Maggie. Besides that, says Joe, I dropped something off at the post office. If you're looking for your lady friend, says Maggie, she was in about an hour ago, then left. Joe spots Burke and asks how long he's been here. About half an hour, chuckles Maggie, why? No reason, says Joe. There's nothing I like better than a good, intelligent conversation, she teases. You didn't happen to see Bill Malloy around today, did you? You, too? she asks. Why, has someone else been asking about him? asks Joe. I have, says Burke, coming over--the answer is no, Maggie hasn't seen or heard of Bill today. Is that true? Joe asks Maggie. Yup, she says. Is this a private search? asks Burke--or did someone ask you to look for Malloy? I don't know that that's any of your business, says Joe. Burke fiddles with his tie and asks if it's normal procedure of the employees of Collins Cannery to go looking for their boss. Joe asks what difference that makes to him. Who told you to go asking around for Malloy? asks Burke--was it Roger Collins? What makes you say I'm asking around? demands Joe, annoyed--I just came in here, ordered a cup of coffee. Forget about you and me, anything personal between us, says Burke, upset, I'm only interested in Bill Malloy. Why are you so interested? asks Joe. He's a friend of mine, says Burke--because I like the man--for some reason, he's suddenly not around. Then you do think something might have happened to him, says Maggie. Who asked you to look, was it Roger? Burke asks again. Carolyn enters. Burke barks, "It's important!" Carolyn asks what this is, a big conference?--Hello, Burke. Hello, he says abruptly. That's a glum greeting, she grumbles--just what I need this morning, a car that won't go and the big chill from one of my favorite people. What's wrong with your car? asks Joe. I don't know, says Carolyn, something with the carburetor--the garage says it will take about an hour to fix--say, she says to Joe and Burke--you two haven't been arguing, have you? Joe glances at Burke and suggests she ask one of her favorite people--better still, why not go off to Bangor with him again? You're impossible, chastises Carolyn--Burke, please tell him... I have no time to tell him anything, says Burke impatiently, putting money on the counter--he thanks Maggie for the breakfast and leaves. What's wrong with him? asks Carolyn. I don't know, says Joe--you want to have coffee with an impossible man? Sure, she says, without enthusiasm--sure.

Cottage - Sam pours coffee. Burke rings the bell and greets Sam. I thought you weren't going to sit for the portrait this morning, says Sam. That's right, agrees Burke. What do you want? asks Sam--I was just having breakfast. I've had mine, says Burke, I'll join you in a cup of coffee, if you don't mind. I thought we talked this all out last night, says Sam, as Burke pours himself coffee. I hope it's good and hot, says Burke--nothing I like less than lukewarm coffee. Stuck, Sam closes the door, not looking forward to this.

Hot coffee, great, remarks Burke--you're about as talkative as you were last night--he goes over to him and asks where Malloy is. Why ask me? queries Sam. What's happened to him? demands Burke. How should I know? asks Sam. I don't know how you should know, says Burke--who do you expect me to ask--Roger Collins? Up to you, says Sam, all I know is, I'm as troubled about his disappearance as you are. Troubled? Asks Burke, or relieved? What does that mean? asks Sam. Malloy's not showing up last night got you off the hook, didn't it? asks Burke, hands on hips. I don't know what you're talking about, says Sam. The meeting he set up, that's what I'm talking about, says Burke, angry--you, me, Roger--he said you be there at 11 o'clock, you'll learn something about yourself--he said I'd learn something about that manslaughter charge I went to jail for, five years ago. (Supposed to be 10.) He also said that the would be there, didn't he? asks Sam--then why didn't he show up? That's just what I'm asking you, says Burke. We were all there, says Sam, and Malloy had some big revelation to make, then why didn't he just walk in and spill it out? Maybe he couldn't, suggests Burke, maybe somebody stopped him! You're out of your mind, says Sam. I hope to God I am! says Burke. Did it ever cross your mind, says Sam, that he realized he was wrong?--that he might have realized he had nothing to tell? No, says Burke. Why? asks Sam--what makes Malloy so all fired infallible?--why can't he make mistakes just like any other man? Because he would have walked into that office and said so! shouts Burke. So he was upset, embarrassed, suggests Sam, sitting on the sofa. Bill Malloy? asks Burke--do you really think that? He's a man, like you and me, says Sam--men make mistakes--sometimes they don't like to admit that. So he ran away and hid his head in shame, says Burke--is that what you're trying to tell me? Possible, says Sam. His car was out in front of his house--if he ran away, how did he get there--walk?--or maybe rode his bicycle? What do you want from me? asks Sam. I want to know what happened to Bill Malloy! says Burke.

Coffee shop - I wish I knew, says Carolyn--my mother's been terribly upset about it. I know, says Joe, she asked me to check around town, see if anyone had seen him. Why was Burke so anxious to find out if Roger Collins has asked you to check around? asks Maggie. Beats me, says Joe. Carolyn asks if that's what you two are arguing about, for heaven's sake--my Uncle Roger? We weren't arguing, says Joe, I just don't like the guy--who knows, maybe he has something to do with Malloy's not showing up. Don't be ridiculous, says Carolyn. Wait a minute, says Joe--tell me something--why should he be so interested in whether or not your uncle asked me to look for Malloy? I don't know, says Carolyn. You should, you've spent enough time talking to him, says Joe. Cut it out, says Carolyn. Another thing, says Joe--how come none of this stuff started happening until Burke Devlin came back to Collinsport? If you have been talking to Burke, Maggie says to Carolyn. What is this? asks Carolyn--look what you've started, she tells Joe--I had lunch in Bangor with Burke, and that's all. Did he mention my father? asks Maggie. No, says Carolyn, why? No reason, says Maggie--do me a favor--if any customers come in, tell them I'll be back in a little while--she goes to get her coat. As soon as my car is ready, says Carolyn, I'm taking off. Tell them to help themselves, advises Maggie, and leaves. (Leaves her post!) What hit her? Joe asks Carolyn. She shrugs and says probably couldn't stand hearing you needle me about Burke. I'm sorry, says Joe, irritated, I just cannot sit around watching you make an idiot over yourself about. . .oh, forget it. I'd be happy to if you'd do the same, she says, angry. It would be a great pleasure, he says. Then we're agreed, they say, both pissed. They look at each other and begin to laugh together. Carolyn, will you marry me? he asks. How can I, when you're such a nut? she asks. What kind of nut will you marry? counters Joe. She continues to laugh, as does he. Are we getting serious now? she asks. You know what your cousin David got for a present today? asks Joe--a crystal ball--for looking into the future. How nice for the little monster, she says--he can see what kind of trouble to get into. He told me my fortune and yours, says Joe. You don't really believe those things, she says. He said you would never marry me, says Joe, no longer laughing--he said you were going to marry Burke Devlin. She glances at him. He said that? she says. Yeah, he looked into that little piece of glass and that's what he said, Joe tells her--a penny for your thoughts. I...I just don't like the idea of a crystal ball deciding my future, she says, and grins at him.

Cottage - Sam pours a huge drink for himself. That won't help at all, says Burke. Are you going to start telling me when to drink and not to? asks Sam. I'm going to tell you I'm not through with this thing, not until I get the whole story. I've been telling you by all that's holy, says Sam, I've been standing here half an hour telling you I don't know where Malloy went--if you like, I'll try to wave my magic wand (a paintbrush) and try to have him materialize right in the center of this room. Stop the jokes! orders Burke--there are only two people who would benefit from Malloy's disappearance--you and Roger Collins. I have no reason to fear anything Bill might say, says Sam. I don't believe you, says Burke. Believe this, says Sam--I'm just as worried about him as you are! Are you? asks Burke. Yes, he's one of the best men I knew in this town, says Sam--I'd hate to think that he... Wait a minute, says Burke, did you say WAS--past tense? Oh, well, says Sam, I only meant... You know what's happened to him, don't you? asks Burke. No! says Sam. It's piling up, Sam, building every minute, says Burke, and it won't end here, let me tell you that.
It's only a word, says Sam--I'm telling you the truth--maybe he went off fishing somewhere. Fishing? asks Burke--that's just where I'm going--fishing!--I'm not gonna sit around here...Maggie enters. Sam asks her what she's doing home. She says she came to see Pop. I thought you canceled the portrait sitting today, she tells Burke. I did, he replies--all right, Sam, I'll be seeing you again. Where are you going? asks Sam. I told you, says Burke--fishing.

Carolyn and Joe returns to Collinwood--remind me never to trust that mechanic, she complains--next time he says an hour, I'll know he means tomorrow. Why don't you try looking into a crystal ball, says Joe, make sure. All right, Joe, she says, annoyed, all right. I'm sorry, he says--my trouble is that I love you. You're an idiot, she says as he puts his arms around her. Maybe, he says, but I still love you. In spite of everything I do to you? she asks. A fellow has to take the bad with the good, he says. That's just the trouble, don't you see? she asks--there isn't much good. He kisses the top of her head. I don't know, she says, I want you to hold me like this--what's going to be become of me? You're going to become Mrs. Haskell, he assures her, and you're gonna live happily ever after--if you just give yourself a chance--I'd like to prove a certain crystal ball is wrong. I wish I could forget about Burke and this house, she says, looking eagerly into his face, and, hold me, Joe. She clutches him close and they kiss, big, long and juicy. Someone knocks at the door. I didn't hear a thing, he says, resuming their kiss.
When the knocking grows more persistent, she says she'd better see who it is. It's Burke, his face stony. I want to see your uncle, he demands, striding into the house.

Joe sits on the foyer table while Burke looks at an ancestor on the wall. You know which one this is? he asks Joe. Nope, says Joe. Strange group, this family, says Burke--they cling together--protect each other--don't care two cents about the outside world. Not true, says Joe. Oh, I'm sorry, says Burke, I forgot, you plan to be joining the clan someday, don't you? I plan to marry Carolyn, agrees Joe. And do you also plan to live here in Collinwood? asks Burke. No, says Joe. Why not? asks Burke, there's plenty of room, just push aside a few cobwebs, dig up some buried bodies, hang your portrait on the wall and you're a member of the clan! What are you after? Joe asks him. I thought I told you back at the restaurant--Bill Malloy, says Burke. Why here? asks Joe. Carolyn comes across the landing and tells them Roger isn't here--she asked her mother and Vicki and they haven't seen him. Do you know where he can be? asks Burke. No, says Carolyn, try the office. I already did, says Burke, they said he left--I thought he might have come back here--I'll find him. If Uncle Roger does come home, or call, is there anything I can tell him? asks Carolyn. No, just tell him I want to talk to him, says Burke. Is it about Bill Malloy? asks Carolyn. Yes, admits Burke. Do you have any idea where he might have gone? asks Carolyn. Gone, no, says Burke, how he got there, yes--Joe, remember, dig up the dead bodies first! He leaves. Carolyn closes the door after him and asks what that meant. Nothing, says Joe, just a not so funny joke. Dead bodies--what dead bodies? she asks.

Cottage - Then with everybody talking about Bill Malloy's disappearance, Maggie tells her father, I began to get worried. Why you? he asks. I know you're going to bawl me out, Pop, but it's the same old story--you, Burke, Roger Collins, she points out. There is no connection, he insists. I wouldn't have thought so, she says, but Burke seemed to think Roger Collins had asked Joe to look for Bill Malloy. Sam rises and asks why Roger Collins wouldn't want to know why his manager didn't show up for work. Even you, she says, when you called this afternoon and asked about Malloy, I didn't think anything of it, but then when everybody started talking about him, well, I...Sam pours a drink--just tell me this, she asks--how did you know about his disappearance? You know me, he says, drinking his booze, sooner or later I get to know everything about this town. Do you know where he is? she asks. I think you'd better go back to work, he says, I wouldn't want you to get yourself fired. But do you know where he is? she persists. I brought you up to be a sensitive, intelligent, inquisitive young lady, he says, but there's a limit to how far you should go with your inquisitiveness. Yes, but does his disappearance have anything to do with Burke or Roger Collins? she asks. Maggie, he says, closing his eyes, his voice ragged, I'm tired of all these questions--go back to work and let me do mine. He picks up a canvas and gazes at it. I know this is going to sound crazy, says Maggie, but I'm going to ask anyway--what ties you, Burke and Roger Collins together?--does Mr. Malloy have any answers? I think I'll do it all in reds and greens, says Sam, ignoring her question. Pop! she cries, I asked you something. With a touch of yellow, just as an accent, he says, just a touch. Realizing she isn't getting anywhere, Maggie picks up her coat and asks, "Where are we all heading?" Unhappy, she leaves. Sam mixes paint and gazes after her. "Towards death, Maggie darling," he says, "we're all headed towards death."
--and he tosses some paint at the drawing of Burke, which runs down the portrait like blood from a slashed wound.

NOTES: Bill is still missing, where has he gone? Was is foul play? Was it Roger or Sam or even a combo of the two, in cohoots to protect their secret? The search is on for Bill Malloy. Burke, desperate to find him because of Malloy's promise to clear him, will continue to search. Where is Roger, and what is he doing right now? Sam is a mess, sure they are all headed for death, arguing with his daughter, who only wants to help. Poor Maggie can't get any answers, but you know she will persist, because that's the way she is, and she adores Sam despite his faults.

David predicts his cousin won't marry Joe, but Burke. Is he right? Joe and Carolyn seemed pretty cozy here, but will it last? She doesn't seem to want the same things he does, and Burke continues to make Joe's jealousy flare up to new and possibly destructive heights--and David predicts Carolyn will marry Burke!

Episode #50 - Night has come to Collinwood and brought with it no answer to a man's disappearance--instead there is restlessness, a restlessness that draws me out of the great house and into the darkness around it--a restlessness that seems to gnaw at everyone living on the crest of Widows' Hill.

Vicki joins Carolyn on Widows' Hill. Friend or foe--advance and be recognized, says Carolyn, greeting her. I thought this would be my own lonely, quiet little spot tonight, she says, but we all share our possessions here on Widows'' Hill--what brings you here? I just wanted to get some fresh air, says Vicki, hugging herself against the chill--the ocean certainly is rough. It will be a lot rougher if you fall, says Carolyn morosely, it's a long way down. That's just what I need, says Vicki, sitting beside her, nice cheerful talk--you come here often, at night I mean? No, she says, only when I'm looking for something special--ghosts. Oh, smiles Vicki. That's right, says Carolyn, ghosts--they're all around us, everywhere.

The ocean crashes over the jagged rocks below. Carolyn asks Vicki if she still doesn't believe in ghosts. I haven't seen one yet, says Vicki. You don't have to see them, you can feel them, says Carolyn. You're not talking about ghosts, says Vicki, but your own feelings. Did you happen to see my mother before you came down here? asks Carolyn. NO, says Vicki. We all have our fears in this house, admits Carolyn, I'm not alone in that--do you have nay idea how upset my mother is about Bill Malloy. I think I do, says Vicki. She's known him for more than 25 years, says Carolyn, he's been more than just the manager of our fleet and cannery--he's been a good friend. I'm sure he'll he all right, says Vicki, and he'll come home. I hope so, says Carolyn, maybe the widows can tell us where he's gone. You don't believe in all that nonsense, says Vicki. Maybe not, says Carolyn, maybe my trouble is that I don't know what I believe in anymore--I suppose the wailing widows are supposed to haunt this house and hill are as real as anything else in my mind. What's hit you? asks Vicki, the last time I saw you, toy were in such a good mood. That's me, admits Carolyn, up and down, in and out, never the same girl twice. Is it Bill Malloy? asks Vicki--do you really think something has happened to him? When I was a kid, says Carolyn, a little kid, I used to come out here whenever things were bothering me--I used to think the wind or the waves would bring answers--it doesn't seem to work anymore--maybe it can only happen at midnight, the witching hour--is that what you think? Nope, replies Vicki, smiling. Carolyn checks her watch--it's 10:15, less than two hours...she trails off. What? asks Vicki. You know who gave me this watch? asks Carolyn--Joe Haskell--for my 16th birthday--dear, sweet Joe. Is that's what's brother you--Joe? asks Vicki. It keeps happening over and over again! cries Carolyn--I hang onto him but I run like mad--I keep asking myself where will it end?--he's such a wonderful guy--what am I waiting for? The widows begin their wailing. They're here, says Carolyn, as she and Vicki both stand--the widows, they heard me.
No that's the wind and you know it, insists Vicki. Is that how it will end for me? asks Carolyn, like it did for them, wandering around our old house, wailing, wanting so much--and ending up with nothing. That's how it will end if you want it to, warns Vicki--I never will get used to that sound, I guess. You know what they're saying, says Carolyn--they're saying "HELP ME." (It appeared cut off right here.)

Drawing room - David complains to his aunt that there are "things" in his room--he can't see them, but he knows they are there. I'll tell you what to do, suggests Aunt Liz, go upstairs and turn on all the lights--and all of it will go away. Can't I stay down here? he begs. I really haven't time for you tonight, she says, please do as I ask. You don't care what happens to me, he grumbles, nobody does! David! she cries, rising form her chair, but he's already pounded his way upstairs. She dials the phone, but, hearing the front door slam, runs to the foyer, asking if it's Roger. It's only us, says Carolyn, back from the sea. Have you heard anything from Bill Malloy yet? questions Vicki. No, says Liz, and tells Carolyn to come up and get her when her Uncle Roger comes home--she'll be in David's room. Vicki asks if something is wrong with David. He's just been afflicted with the family disease, says Liz--seeing ghosts. Vicki and Carolyn exchange looks.

Drawing room - Carolyn comes to the window, where he mother looks out, and tells her Vicki has made some tea. Liz says she doesn't want any. How's David? asks Carolyn. He's all right, he just wanted some attention, says Liz. He wasn't really seeing ghosts at all? Asks Carolyn. I don't understand about Uncle Roger, frets Liz, I asked him to come home from the office hours ago! He's probably had work to do and couldn't get away, suggests Carolyn. I called the office--he left, says Liz--that was a long time ago. Then it must have been some sort of emergency, says Carolyn--maybe his car broke down--just because you're worried about Bill Malloy, don't start thinking that everyone... I don't think anything, says Liz, fretful, I just wish Uncle Roger would get home. Sit down and try to relax, advises Carolyn, but Liz walks over to call the office again. Vicki quietly tells Carolyn she's never seen her mother like this before. I told you--Bill Malloy, says Carolyn. Liz hands up--no answer. Why don't you sit down here and have some tea with us? suggests Vicki cheerfully. I don't think I'd be very good company, says Liz, sitting on the sofa. If Vicki could put up with me and the wailing widows, points out Carolyn, her hand on her mother's shoulder--I think I can cope with anything. Vicki sits beside Liz and tells her that Carolyn has been filling her with ghost stories. The one I didn't tell her, says Carolyn, the one she really ought to know, is the one about the three people. This is hardly the time, says Liz. Vicki walks pretty close to the edge of that cliff out there, jests Carolyn, that's all we need is for you to become number three. Agitated, Liz rises from the sofa, telling Carolyn this is nonsense. It's only a story, says Carolyn. Stories are based on fact, says Liz--death is a fact--Bill Malloy's disappearance is a fact also--this is no time to discuss legends and ghosts! I'm sorry, says Carolyn--it was just a story--I'm sorry--it just seems to be my night for it--I'm going up to bed--and Carolyn runs from the room. She was only trying to cheer you up, Vicki tells Liz. I know, says Liz, gazing out the window, but there are times the legends of Collinwood seem too real. You don't really believe all those things, do you? asks Vicki. In the more than 130 years since this house was built, two people have thrown themselves from the ledge where you and Carolyn stood, says Liz--the legend she wanted to tell you is that someday there would be a third--that death hasn't happened yet--it's only a legend (didn't Carolyn already relate this tale?)--but it's something I don't want to be reminded of--not tonight. Roger returns home and Liz demands to know where he's been. You waited up for me, he says, his voice syrupy--how sweet! I called you hours ago and told you to come right home! says Liz. Miss Winters, how are you this evening? asks Roger, his voice slow and deliberate. I'm just on my way up to bed, says Vicki. That's an excellent idea, says Roger, I think I'll do the same thing as soon as I get a bite to eat. I want to talk to you right now, insists Liz. In a minute, says Roger, I haven't had any dinner--let me get a sandwich and I'll be right back--pleasant dreams, Miss winters! he calls up to Vicki . Liz stands in the kitchen doorway, frustrated. She goes back to the drawing room and sits down to wait.

Vicki enters her bedroom and closes the door. She turns on a lamp and fiddles with her window. On her mirror, someone has written, in large black letters, DEATH! Vicki stares at it in horrified disbelief.
Vicki drags David into her room. I want you to see what you did, she says sternly. Why did you have to come and wake me up for? he asks sleepily. I don't think you were asleep, but if you were, I'm not at all sorry I woke you up, she says--look at that, go ahead--tell me what it says. He doesn't respond at first, so she asks again. Death, he replies. And who wrote it there? she asks. I don't know, he says. I've had just about enough of this nonsense, says Vicki. I didn't write it! he says petulantly. Who did? she demands--a ghost or a widow?--I want you to take these tissues--she pulls them from a box on her dresser--and wipe it off. No, says David. I'm not fooling, he says, I didn't go near your old mirror, I was asleep in my room! I want you to take these tissues and erase that, right now! she orders, thrusting them into his hand. It wasn't me, he says, it must have been the widows. What's going on in here? asks Carolyn, entering the room. Something between David and me, explains Vicki--David, listen to me. They were in my room all night, he says, I went down to tell Aunt Elizabeth and they must have come in here. That's awfully strange, says Vicki, because they seem to have the same handwriting as you. Death? asks Carolyn--that seems to be the password for the night--she grabs her cousin and shakes him, demanding to know how dare he write that? Vicki stops her and gives David once last chance--either he wipes it off right now or else they go down to his Aunt Liz. All right, he says, viciously swabbing it off--there!--satisfied? Now I want you to go to your room, says Vicki--and I'm warning you, I don't want anything like this to happen again! I didn't write it! he hurls back at her--it was the widow! He goes into his room. Vicki returns to her own room and tells Carolyn, "That's all I needed tonight." Little David, says Carolyn--I still don't see how you stand all of it. Easy, says Vicki, finishing the job David started, just stay away from the edge of the cliff. Talking about the cliff, says Carolyn, did you see my wristwatch in the drawing room before you left? No, says Vicki. That's just great, says Carolyn--the stupid strap must have broken--I didn't even miss it until I was ready to go to bed--it could be anywhere! Maybe one of the widows took it, jokes Vicki, smiling. Maybe I'll just have to go right back out there and find it, insists Carolyn. Tonight? asks Vicki. Carolyn nods. Why can't you get it in the morning, asks Vicki. Because if it is there, says Carolyn, the ocean air will ruin it. Happy hunting, says Vicki. Carolyn asks if she'll go with her. Why, are you nervous? asks Vicki. Tonight, yes, says Carolyn--I suppose I am.

Roger sits on the drawing room sofa extolling the praises of a chicken sandwich and a cold glass of milk--caviar at this time of night. Where have you been all evening? asks Liz. Obviously, I don't have to ask you that question, says Roger with sarcasm--I know right where you've been, for the past 18 years--right here in this lovely old house. When I called, I asked you to come right home, she reminds him. I know, he says. I meant right at that moment, not hours later, she says. Did it ever occur to you that I might have something more pressing to do? asks Roger. More important than Bill Malloy's disappearance? She asks. I've been just as concerned about it as you have, Roger insists--when I left the office right after you telephoned, I had every intention of coming right back here--as you so forcefully suggested--but then I had a feeling I might be able to find him--so I drove to his cousin's house--it was a long trip, and completely wasted one--they hadn't seen him in weeks, hadn't heard from him in days--and then I came right back here--does that answer all your questions? Why didn't you call and tell me where you were going? asks Liz. I meant to, but it slipped my mind, he says, I simply forgot. Did you also forget to tell me you saw Bill Malloy here last night? she asks. Roger, caught, asks, "How did you know that?"
It doesn't matter, says Liz--I want to know why he was here. Roger looks uncomfortable.

You told me you hadn't seen Bill since late yesterday afternoon, Liz reminds him--but he was here last night, arguing with you, shortly before he disappeared. Roger puts his milk and sandwich on the table and stands. He asks his sister if she's suggesting that... who told you I was arguing with Bill--Miss Winters? He pours a drink. Yes, says Liz. Did she tell you what we were arguing about? asks Roger. No, there was some mention of a meeting, says Liz. And that's all she heard? Asks Roger, draining his glass. I want to know why Bill was here and exactly what you were arguing about, says Liz. Roger turns to her and says it was a business matter. Something to do with Burke Devlin? asks Liz. Of course not! says Roger--you must know Bill and I have had differences about a number of things at the cannery. Skeptical, Liz says, "Go on." Well, says Roger, there are matters relating to some of our accounts that he felt I hadn't handled properly--we had words about it and he insisted I meet him in the office and we go over the billing--and that's about it. What accounts are they? asks Liz. What difference does it make? asks Roger, annoyed, when he comes back we'll all sit down and discuss it--right now I'm tired, it was a long trip and I want to replace. He finishes off his drink. Someone knocks. It's Carolyn, asking if she can butt in for a second. She kisses his cheek, delighted to see him, and he calls her Kitten and says of course she can come right in. I'm just looking for a lost wristwatch, says Carolyn--I won't be a second. It's all right, Roger assures his niece, take your time--you look tired, Liz, why don't you go to bed? She gives him a look and goes into the foyer, where she runs into Vicki, who's in her trenchcoat. I thought you'd gone upstairs some time ago, says Liz. Vicki explains that she's helping Carolyn find her watch. No luck, Carolyn reports to Vicki, I guess we'll have to go back out to the widows. I'm game if you are, smiles Vicki, and the two young women leave the house. Liz trudges upstairs and finds David waiting at the top. What are you doing out of bed again? she asks him. Where's Miss Winters going? asks David. She went to look for a wristwatch, Liz tells him, and you go to bed. It's not what she's going to find, predicts David--"She's going to find death!"

And indeed, Vicki is standing on Widows' Hill, screaming, her hands pressed to her face.
She and Carolyn have found the body of a dead man lying at the foot of the cliff!

NOTES: Have the girls found Bill Malloy? If so, how did he end up down there--by accident or by design? Did someone "help" him by pushing him over? Is it possible it's someone else?

David knew the girls were going to find death, and he even announced it on Vicki's mirror, the little scamp. How did he know? Is that crystal ball Burke gave him really speaking to him?

Roger's explanation for where he was certainly sounds acceptable. But is it true? He seemed determined to upset his sister, and he succeeded.

This episodes have genuinely frightening scenes--I still get chills at the sound of the widows' wailing.

Is Sheriff Carter going to have a real, not attempted, murder on his hands now?

Love, Robin