Author Topic: Sarah Collins  (Read 2197 times)

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Sarah Collins
« on: December 04, 2010, 09:41:40 AM »
1st let me say that if this is in the wrong section i'm sorry about that. anyways having said that. my question really is quite simple. I've been watching me some "DS" as of late.

& i'm on Episode #326 i believe? anyways, basically storyline where David is afraid of ole Barny,

which is a good storyline i'm not denying or saying it isn't. but my question is really, Sarah is a ghost that's quite obvious. but if she was there to save Maggie's Life. & David's for example ok i can see that. & get that. but why in the hell would she tell him the truth about Barnabas?

the poor kid is scared enough as it is. you would think that she would try & steer him away from barnabas. & not being afraid of him. warning him i can understand.but showing him as a vampire even if it's in just a dream. is at least in "DS" world the truth of things that is going on. or something like that.

has anyone ever thought about this? or is this just me?

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Collins
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »
The way I see it, Sarah was trying to help, but she still only has the mindset of a child, and thus isn't going to make the best decisions.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:55:04 AM »
true she is still a child. & also i find it funny as hell that David who has an obsession for ghosts, NEVER once considered that Sarah was a ghost. when Barny 1st showed up at the old house & they 1st met. he thought

he was a ghost. it's funny how it occurs to Sam & Joe almost a the same time really, that Sarah's a ghost. but David who loves ghosts. doesn't once think that's what she is. i'm sorry i just find that funny.

anyways, as for Sarah i realize that she has a child mindset but you would think that at some point she's say to herself don't tell or show him this. may it be in real life, well real as it can be on DS or in dreams. i never did like the fact that Barny was going to kill a 9 year old boy. Maggie i get & Burke i get. but to want to kill your own family?  if  you think about it sometimes adults don't always believe kids.

& we know Vicki always was in denial about Barnabas. at least that's how if feels to me. it's also how nobody really asked barnabas where goes during the day? other than a couple people. anyways that's for a different topic though, sorry i'm just thinking aloud.

anyways back to Sarah, what the writers SHOULD have done & what would have been nice is after the return from (1795) have Sarah stay on the show for a bit longer. even if it was just a couple of weeks. give Barnabas some closure at the very least. after she told me she wouldn't appear to him until he turned good.

which is basically what she said. if memory serves me right. anyways, he did turn good after that well after the return from (1795) i mean. what with the Adam & Eve storyline. & all that. anyways. it would have been nice to see Sarah talk to ole Barny one last time at the very least. to say goodbye.  since she didn't have that when she originally died.

my guess "Sharon Smyth's" contract just ran up so they chose not to go that way. i wonder why she didn't do anymore acting after doing "DS" ? anyways what do you think?

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 02:41:29 PM »
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, I don't remember her saying she'd come back when he was good. I remember she was leaving for good.
I like that that was the last we see of her, she did a big thing sending Vicki to the past so she had a dramatic exit.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »
sarah was very tricky as a character and with a limited shelf life for one very big reason...

ghosts do not age and children,particularly at sharron smythe's age at the time,grow and change at a rapid clip.

just during the six or eight months she was on the program smythe grew alot. by the end of 1795 she looks much older than she did when her ghost first appeared in 1967. there's an early scene where sam picks her up and puts her on a stool to draw her picture and she seems tiny. by her final episodes she looks at least an inch taller.

besides by the time vicki was about to depart for 1795 she was so fed up with the lot of them that she left out of anger.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
Sarah's parting words to Barnabas in 1967 were:

No, I will not stay here. I will go away and never come back.  Never! That will be your punishment. I know there's good and I know there's evil, because I learned it from you! But you've forgotten it, Barnabas. You will have to learn it all over again, and I will never come back again until you do. Goodbye, Barnabas.

So I guess it could have gone either way. Perhaps if there had been a better wrap-up for the present day characters, they could have brought Sarah back to give her big brother points for at least trying. Obviously, though, Sharon Smyth would have been too old for the role by 1971.

"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:01:26 PM »
thanxs for posting what she actually says, i couldn't honestly remember, i was actually trying to but i haven't watched the episode for awhile so bear with me. anyways, i think at some point in (1968) she should have come back even if it was just one episode.  i also never noticed she grew to be quite honest.

why did she send Vicki to the past anyways? it may sound like a stupid question to some, but she never DID learn who Barnabas truly was. that he was a vampire & etc.. yes she met him as a human & liked him very much. but she never did put two & two together.

neither did any of the family for that matter. not  counting "Carolynn" cause since he bit her. plus she never told
anyone anyways, i also would like have if they had her also trying to stop things from happening instead of her

going back to normal after the curse was lifted. i always did like when Barnabas would involve the entire family on in on his plans for stopping whatever threat was going on instead of course when he was the threat. anyways, as for the past, does anyone wonder what kind of tutor Vicki well governess i mean,  Vicki was suppose to be? i mean when it comes to history of course, cause she could teach her about what happens 100 years from then, or hell even 50 years.  but since not a lot in history since there's so much of it

NOW has happend at least in (1795) wouldn't it be kinda of hard for her to think of what happened before that year?  odd question i realize that but   also a bit funny if you think about it.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 01:45:20 PM »
Sending Viki into the past did result in Peter Bradford being brought into the present, which saved Vicki from Barnabas, and led to Barnabas being temporarily cured. I like to think Sarah had that all planned out, but it was probably just a happy accident.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Sarah wanted to protect everyone from Barnabas, and at the same time, protect Barnabas from everyone else.   She had to protect David, who was sneaking into the Old House and finding out more and more, so she tried to scare him off from a situation where he found out about Barnabas there and was discovered by him, and killed.   So she tried to tell him what Barnabas was, asking him to keep quiet about I think, and stop going there.   This also protected Barnabas, if David did as she asked.

I think Sarah wanted Vicki, or someone nice, one of the grown-ups, to find out how Barnabas came to be as he was, in context, to protect Barnabas.   I think Sarah thought Vicki and then others she told about the experience would try to help Barnabas and not judge him too harshly, and stop him without destroying him.   Sarah was just a little girl despite everything, frozen forever as a child, and she had no intricate master plan.   It's not Sarah's fault that Vicki became embroiled in this whole witchcraft thing, and was sidelined in "gaol" while the vampire story unfolded.   She's just one ghost, and doesn't control life and how it plays out.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
It would have been nice to see Sarah come back, Barnabas was both good and bad at
times. Was he every really good only?  That would be another thread. Sarah could have
come back as a reincarnation of herself, she could have done that. Sharon could have
been older.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 07:25:59 AM »
I like the way Sarah left. It felt like her character left very organicly, and backpeddling would have weakened her exit.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »
true, but i do like the re-incarnation theory. lord knows Caroline was pretty much a re-incarnation of wasn't it "Pasny Faye" ?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 03:02:09 AM »
Sarah wanted to protect everyone from Barnabas, and at the same time, protect Barnabas from everyone else.   She had to protect David, who was sneaking into the Old House and finding out more and more, so she tried to scare him off from a situation where he found out about Barnabas there and was discovered by him, and killed.   So she tried to tell him what Barnabas was, asking him to keep quiet about I think, and stop going there.   This also protected Barnabas, if David did as she asked.

I think Sarah wanted Vicki, or someone nice, one of the grown-ups, to find out how Barnabas came to be as he was, in context, to protect Barnabas.   I think Sarah thought Vicki and then others she told about the experience would try to help Barnabas and not judge him too harshly, and stop him without destroying him.   Sarah was just a little girl despite everything, frozen forever as a child, and she had no intricate master plan.   It's not Sarah's fault that Vicki became embroiled in this whole witchcraft thing, and was sidelined in "gaol" while the vampire story unfolded.   She's just one ghost, and doesn't control life and how it plays out.

I agree that Sarah wanted to protect Barnabas...obviously she never came out and told David the nature of Barnabas' secret. On the other hand, she clearly didn't want  him to bring harm to other people, that's why she aided Maggie and David many times. I always thought that the reason she didn't appear to Barnabas for so long was she clearly didn't approve of his actions, but yet she still loved him enough that she didn't go blabbing his secret.

I'm not so sure though that Sarah ever intended Vicki to discover Barnabas' secret. Maybe other unexplainable supernatural force thrusted Vicki back to the past. What it could have been is anyone's guest.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »
I actually wrote a short story her return  because it always bothered me that she never returned after he became essential good!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 01:59:52 AM »
honestly, i think it would have been interesting IF she had returned after he turned good. even IF it was only for one or two episodes. it would have let us viewers & Barnabas know that she sees he's doing good now. & is proud of him. or something along the lines of that. i realize the actress grew to fast. but i don't think one or two episodes would really have mattered much. cause if you think about it

i doubt anyone would have really thought much of her growing back than. i can't honestly tell but than i also don't really think about it either. so there ya go ya know? he he