Author Topic: Humorous moments in 1795  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Lindsey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Humorous moments in 1795
« on: December 02, 2010, 03:58:09 AM »
Greetings!

I have recently been rewatching the 1795 storyline, and after having not seen it for over eight years, everything is fresh and exciting! There are a number of witty comments that I never before noticed or had simply just forgotten, and I have to share a few here (there may be some spoilers):

Joshua is telling Andre DuPres that he should just let the Reverand Trask question him and get it over with. Andre finally concedes, and says something along the lines of "Let the record show that I did not voluntarily consent to questioning. And let the record also show that I was questioned...BY A COMPLETE IDIOT!"

I got quite a chuckle out of that! Then, on the episode I was watching today, Angelique has just been buried alive by Jeremiah and is summoning Ben Stokes to help her. Ben is in the drawing room of the Old House, talking with Reverand Bland, who is there to conduct the marriage ceremony for Barnabas and Angelique. Rev. Bland is asking Ben all sorts of questions about why Joshua and Naomi are not attending the wedding, when Ben gets a far-off look in his eyes as he hears Angelique calling out to him.
Angelique: "Ben, come to me; I need you!"
Ben: "Where are you?!"
Rev. Bland: "I'm right here!"

Ahh, I love these sometimes unintentional funny moments in Dark Shadows. What are some other moments that you have found quite humorous?
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Humorous moments in 1795
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
as andres dupres david ford does get in a few zingers before the character inexplicably departs mid-storyline.

he has a few choice words for abigail in one scene when he tells that all he expects from her are the "narrow opinions of a lonely and fanatical old woman". OUCH!

needless to say miss collins(the exquisite clarice blackburn)"clutches her pearls" so to speak.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 06:33:45 PM »
I've posted about this before, but one exchange that never fails to get me laughing (in the right way) happens when Barnabas warns Joshua to beware of Angelique, a confused Joshua remarks that he thought Barn said he killed her, to which Barn replies: "I told you I killed her. I didn't say she was dead." On a show like DS such a distinction makes complete sense - but it's also quite funny - especially when one hears it said out loud.  [santa_grin]

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 07:20:28 PM »
Natalie got in a few good zingers in the 1795 story. One I'm thinking of in particular occurred in a scene I just saw again recently. Natalie says to Josette that she hopes something saves her from another evening of Joshua and his Revolutionary War stories. It's not so much what she says, but the way Grayson delivers the line. You really get the idea that Joshua was an excruciatingly dull storyteller.  [santa_grin]
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »
yes there's a scene where josette's starting to go off the deep end toward the end of the storyline and natalie goes on about a fictitious tea party for the servants where ben pays her embarrassing attentions to see if josette is really listening to her.

it's actually a serious scene/moment in the plot but again grayson's delivery makes it quite entertaining.

Offline The Collinsport Fly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 12:20:25 AM »
yes there's a scene where josette's starting to go off the deep end toward the end of the storyline and natalie goes on about a fictitious tea party for the servants where ben pays her embarrassing attentions to see if josette is really listening to her.

it's actually a serious scene/moment in the plot but again grayson's delivery makes it quite entertaining.

haha, yeah I remember that one! it made me both laugh and wonder!
btw, this is my first post here! fun thread. hello from Norway! [santa_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 12:27:40 AM »
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 06:30:05 AM »
On of my favorites is Grayson saying something like "And what I don't understand I run from....Is that strange?!" or something to that effect.  I have it written down I will try to find it.  Again Grayson's line deliver is hysterical! And when Natalie and Josette are looking at the book some of her scared faces are so funny when the candles go out! And when the doctor says Barnabas has the plauge! "THE PLAGUE!" Grayson shouts! I fall down almost dying everytime!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 06:45:45 AM »
Hey Taeylor, I love the way the Countess goes on and on about all the "impossible people" in New York City in her first scene.  I know Sam wrote that one with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

There are some hilarious moments in 1795. I just love some of Angelique's smirks in the scene where she is questioned by Rev. Trask, the "famous" Witch hunter.

There are so many more... I hope the big 1795 fans chime in with more examples.  (It's probably in some ways my personal least favorite storyline, because of how much the endless Peter and Vicki scenes, and the trial scenes, drag on and ON.)

Gotta love the Countess though... and Aunt Abigail ... and Naomi when she decides to talk back to Joshua and the Rev.!

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 11:55:35 AM »
I'm disappointed in myself for not remembering specific moments, but my memory's increasingly poor.   Anyway, it's always fun to see Angelique thwarted, then Ben gets to point it out, and she gets embarrassed, and gets angry to cover it up.   The conversations with Ben are always fun, for one thing because they're two people who would have absolutely nothing to do with each other if it weren't for Ang's schemes.   She needs a slave though, and so he's the only person who knows what she is, and therefore Ben is privy to all her plans and even her feelings when she can't keep them in.  After all, there's no one else to open up to.

We get the one and only moment of lechery in DS that I can think of, when Ang says she wants to make some clothing out of a spider-web, and Ben chuckles and says he'd like to see Angelique walking around wearing it.   A hundred times Ang would have loved to smite him on the spot, but she (of all people) has to hold in the rage to carry out her plans, hard as it is for her!   Angelique embarrassed and holding in the rage is tons of fun.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 04:04:40 PM »
there's a scene early in angelique and ben's relationship where she asks him to do something and implies that he may get "a piece" so to speak as a reward and ben makes a brief move for her before she puts him off.

it's one of the very few times on the series where something of a sexual nature is even suggested(another being adam's attempted sexual assault of carolyn in 1968)even if it never comes to any sort of fruition as obviously the true nature of angelique and ben's relationship is quickly made clear.

but for a brief moment old ben probably thought a lowly servant girl was up for grabs. funny but for someone so wicked ang is actually pretty chaste. if anything she seems to want to be a good and loyal wife if that makes any sense.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 02:13:26 AM »
I watched the "WEB" episodes last night.  And Ben said "A woman without a head!" Again Thayer D's deliver made me LOL!  I think DS has a lot of inneundo, [spoiler]especially with John Yauger gyrating and sticking is tongue out on Maggie.  OF course that isn't really innuedno.  [/spoiler]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 03:33:55 AM »
I figured people would point out how lecherous Greg Trask was, which I realize, but I guess I was thinking of lechery expressed in words.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »
I was watching more of 1795 last night and I was laughing at Natalie talking about how awful the food was and that Mrs. Collins cook wouldn't use wine in cooking because of their religous beliefs!  "CURIOUS PEOPLE!" she shrugged! LOL

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 01:27:15 AM »
I always laugh when the other characters (i.e. Joshua, Abigail) make quibs about Naomi's alcoholism.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.