Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1112  (Read 1174 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1112
« on: November 30, 2010, 05:23:06 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1112
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:02:19 PM »
The replay of the cliffhanger made me think more today than it did yesterday.  When a vampire first became a part of Dark Shadows, nobody thought that the character would be a link through time to the various generations of the Collins family.  And when Julia started looking for a vampire to experiment on, she had no idea that it would cause her to travel to 1840.

Oh, golly, Ben's lot in life is certainly unenviable.  He deals with crazy Danny.  He talks Barnabas out of killing Julia.  And he gives Julia a reason to go on when Julia learns that the Barnabas she unchained isn't the Barnabas she was looking for.  Does anybody ever do anything for Ben?

Incidentally, Barnabas didn't bite Julia right away the way he bit Willie back in 1967 when Willie unchained him; his first impulse was simply to kill her.  For all his talk about his craving as he left the mausoleum, I figure it's nowhere near as bad as it will be nearly 137 years later.  Meanwhile, we got something that we didn't get in 1967: Barnabas discovering how far he had traveled from his home time.  And I think it was sadder for him in 1840 than it was in 1967: seeing Ben as an old man would make the inexorable passage of time so much more vivid.

I'm starting to enjoy the disputes between Gabriel and Gerard.  Oh, I know, I know, I was supposed to enjoy them from the beginning.  This show is meant to be entertaining.  But 1840 doesn't exactly float my boat.  It was fun, however, to see Gabriel and Gerard talking about being a MAN, with a brief but exaggerated escalation of the eyebrows from wheelchair-bound Gabriel.

Today we got a reformatting of the scene in early 1897 where Quentin threatened to run Barnabas through with a sword if Barnabas didn't explain who he was, since Quentin knew for a fact that there was no English branch of the Collins family.  Barnabas extricated himself from that fix very nimbly.  Today Gerard used his hands on Julia rather than a sword, and he had no knowledge of the English branch of the Collins family but he did have an incriminating earring, and I can't for the life of me remember how Julia talks herself out of this situation.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »
I'm sorry 1840 isn't one of the good eras for you Lydia, though there's still plenty for you to like in it obviously... for me, this bit of storyline with purely 1840 Barnabas is one of the classic periods of DS.   That scene where he takes in the passage of time in particular... I missed it before:  Ben tells Barnabas it's 1840, says can't you confirm it just by looking at me, then Barnabas briefly glances down at his own hands to see if he himself has aged.   

You're right, we really were deprived of some great scenes in 1967, where we'd have seen Barnabas reacting to the passage of time.   I don't know what those scenes would have been like.   In 1840, there was still something of the novice, babe-in-the-woods vampire to Barnabas, wide-eyed at how he's survived time without aging....  In 1967, I doubt he was like that.

Shouldn't 1840 Barnabas remember Victoria Winters' time-travel story and connect it to Julia's?  Come to think, should he also remember [spoiler]sharing consciousness with 1968 Barnabas as the latter popped into the former's body and freed Victoria?[/spoiler]   He should at least recall some strange blackout period before being chained up... If the host Barnabas loses consciousness when future Barnabas takes over, then the "real" 1796, 1897, and 1840 Barnabases must have had blackouts followed by surprises when they awoke.   1795/6 Barnabas would have awakened in the coffin... [spoiler]though they had arranged to get him shot with silver bullets by Dad already, so it's the same surprise as the "first time around", I guess.[/spoiler]

Oh I forgot.  1897 and 1840 Barnabas [spoiler]never live on in their own times, in or out of the coffin.  Their bodies stay possessed by future Barnabas and go to the 20th century with him.   So what happens if someone tries to open the coffin in 1920 or 1860?[/spoiler]

Great, great scene, Barnabas being freed.   One of the best.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »
The replay of the cliffhanger made me think more today than it did yesterday.  When a vampire first became a part of Dark Shadows, nobody thought that the character would be a link through time to the various generations of the Collins family.  And when Julia started looking for a vampire to experiment on, she had no idea that it would cause her to travel to 1840.

Forgot to say... nice observation.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
Thanks, Magnus!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:42 AM »
9/29/70

I can’t remember the writers can't remember 1795 it seems really weird that such a simple date changed to 1797…alas….
Yesterday's footage has Julia with her cloak's hat off then it's suddenly on when  we cut to today's footage. Minor continuity error!  Julia dear you may want to close the door!  Another continuity error with Barnabas facing the wrong direction—I guess I am nitpicking!

I think it's pretty cool that Ben is willing to believe Julia's fantastical story!  Apparently thought the secret isn't in place in this time like it was in the 1897. Perhaps later on they decided to start sharing the secret!

If DS would have continued I would have loved to have seen more flashbacks.  I think they would have needed to wait a couple of years and then maybe they would have the provisions to flashback to an earlier time. 

I enjoyed the hug between Ben and Julia—nice touch!“My….oh my word what is it…..oh really such an unusual design!” A quote a friend and I often quote and laugh at. , she was nice addition to the show.

Another great blooper from James Storm!

The sets are looking worn and if the show had continued really needed some new coats of paint.  You can see the wood on The Mausoleum. 

I like Virginia's Vestoff’s voice and her voicevers!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/