Author Topic: Vampire Encyclopedia  (Read 652 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Vampire Encyclopedia
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:54:37 AM »
At the local branch of the library today I saw a book on display, called "The Vampire Book:  The Encyclopedia of the Undead."  It said 3rd edition, so perhaps some of you are familiar with the earlier versions. 

It was very thick.  I took a look through it and every topic or name associated with vampires was listed alphabetically with an article about it.  I looked up Barnabas and found him (under C for Collins).  There was a brief description (the story about the show being on the verge of cancellation and bringing Barnabas into it) and then a slight summary of his early story and the back story in 1795.  It also mentioned subsequent versions (1991) and the movies, and said that in early 2010 Tim Burton said that he was directing it with Johnny Depp - so this one is certainly pretty current.

There was also an entry for Dark Shadows with more of a description of the whole show and other characters and the various other vampires.  There was also a separate entry for Dark Shadows Fandom.

I didn't take time to explore any other items in the book, but it certainly seems very intriguing.  Before posting I tried looking it up on the library website, and I think I found the right one.  If I did, the author is:   J. Gordon Melton.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Encyclopedia
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 05:56:46 AM »
the story about the show being on the verge of cancellation and bringing Barnabas into it

Ah, that old gem of a myth.  [hall2_undecided]  But at least -

and said that in early 2010 Tim Burton said that he was directing it with Johnny Depp

it's nice to learn that it now includes a reference to the Depp/DS film.  [hall2_smiley]

Thanks so much for reporting about the updated version of the book, Josette.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Encyclopedia
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
Before posting I tried looking it up on the library website, and I think I found the right one.  If I did, the author is:   J. Gordon Melton.

I remember him-- Dr. Melton joined Lara Parker for a signing at the Dark Delicacies bookstore the year after Angelique's Descent came out.

Under one of my photos of the two of them, I wrote that she's looking through the newly revamped 2nd ed. of his TVB:TEOTU, so it seems this newest ed. was 10 years in the making.

I'd link to the pictures on the web but it appears that Tim Choate's old pages are infected with a Trojan.  [hall2_sad]