Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1111  (Read 2048 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1111
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:36:30 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1111
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »

What an enjoyable, interesting episode!  Also a sad one, as we see what has become of Daniel, whom we last saw as a young boy who wanted to go home to New York.  He was kept at Collinwood, and clearly it didn't agree with him.  Fans have railed about the cruelty of the fate that was thrown at Vicky during the Leviathan storyline, but that has never bothered me much, whereas Daniel's fate does seem to me to be unnecessarily cruel.  Poor Ben had to deal with Barnabas in 1795, and now he has to deal with mad Daniel.  Very likely when Joshua grew old and even more crotchety than before, Ben was the one who had to deal with him.  I'm betting that was Ben's perennial lot in life: getting stuck dealing with difficult Collinses.  I hope his wife was nice, but clearly he didn't get the wife he needed, one who would drag him to someplace far, far away from Collinsport.

Daniel is terribly interesting, however, just as Jenny was interesting as well as pathetic.  This whole confusion about who's alive and who's dead, and who's alive who should be dead, and who's dead who should be alive, and who needs multiple killings to stay dead - what a world!  Of course we learned a few things in the process of listening to his madness, like why Gabriel's in a wheelchair.

It's always a pleasure to see Flora.  And what are we to make of Gerard's power to heal her migraine?  I have trouble believing in it, so I'm thinking that Flora - dear Flora - had a minor headache and exaggerated it into something awful.  It is, as I write this, the Monday after Thanksgiving.  I saw a lot of relatives over the weekend, and I'll be seeing them at Christmas time.  Flora reminds me of some old aunts and almost-aunts from my childhood.  How I miss them!

When Gerard, holding Julia's earring, had his vision of her, he said she was tall.  I checked the credits, and sure enough, Sam Hall wrote this episode.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:37:17 AM »
This whole confusion about who's alive and who's dead, and who's alive who should be dead, and who's dead who should be alive, and who needs multiple killings to stay dead - what a world!

LOL...

It crossed my mind to wonder whetrher going into the past for good had something to do with a refusal by LE to play Roger anymore...

Daniel: "Once you kill, you must kill over and over again!!"  Yes, that's one of inconveniences of being a murderer...   I wonder if there really is a ghost of Harriet hanging around.   I like Daniel's bit of crazy logic:  Quentin can't be dead, since Daniel didn't kill him!

Hi, Flora!   Gerard smooths out Flora's poor stressed forehead (stress?  what stress?) without needing to resort to botox.

[spoiler]Julia experiences hysterical psychosomatic summoning.[/spoiler] Julia should drill a hole in the coffin, to talk through.   But wouldn't Barnabas hear her talking and knock on the lid or something?   It's not soundproof.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:27:12 AM »
I didn't know that LE refused to play Roger anymore? Hmm...I thought that was JF only. You learn something new.  Although if Sam Hall was write they were going to kill Roger off in the present anyway! It's absolutely wonderful to see LE again! I love his portrayal of Daniel Collins.   "Wearing that ridiculous GEEEETUP!" Hard to believe that little Daniel turned into a murderer!
I love how LE raised his voice while playing Daniel.   I agree with Lydia though, Daniel is very very sad and pathetic.

"Mr. Dannel" Thayer is so good at playing Ben!

"Mr. Daniel, our world was ruined a long time ago!"  Ben may not be the most educated man but you sure hit the nail on the head!

I absolutely love FLORA and she is my favorite character that Joan played. She seems to be having a blast and seems more at ease!  She is so whimsical and wispy with that high pitched voice, that she sadly loses later on!

I love the trippy effect used on Flora!

I like the fact that we get a lot of call backs to 1795--very nice!

I like that this time Julia was the first one to travel back into the past--a doctor of scienc time travelling-what a feat!  Can you imagine??
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »
I didn't know that LE refused to play Roger anymore? Hmm...I thought that was JF only. You learn something new. 

Apparently I just assumed that, based on the fact that LE seemed to get disinterested during Leviathans... and I'm basing that just on his non-reaction to the zombies... and his total absence during Summer 1970, and even in 1995 they knew LE wasn't going to be around for Summer 1970, since they talk about his having been out of the country when the disaster happened.   Yet as soon as we go back to the past, there's LE.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 05:00:42 AM »
According to his biography he was doing plays during his frequent "visits" to Europe!  From what I gather he was a great businessman and I can't see him refusing to play Roger because it was good money.  He played on ALL MY CHILDREN long after he was sidelined to just hanging around and saying a few lines.  I had never heard that; however, it's plausible but from what I gather I can't see him leaving. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 05:20:20 AM »
The thing is, he had a major role(s) on a successful series, and yes, you wouldn't think he'd refuse to play Roger, but isn't being in Europe doing plays during a storyline in which his character would have been present the same thing as refusing to play the role?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 06:05:38 AM »
From what I gathered in the book I have read three times he enjoyed being able to have time off and do "what he wanted to do" and then have DS to fall back on.  He didn't do the plays because he neeeded to but because he wanted to play other parts.  If anything I am pretty sure he never vocalized that he didn't want to play Roger; however, I could be wrong. Anyone else wanna chime in? 

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »
Was Louis no longer on contract?  By this time, his appearances become more and more infrequent.
Fade Away and Radiate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:13:32 AM »
It is tragic to see what Daniel had become by 1840...if only he and Millicent had moved back to New York back in 1795 he could have avoided the madness that had been happening around him as a boy...but then again, who would Joshua have left Collinwood to?

I know Lydia has never been a Vicki Winters fan, but in my point of view, at least Daniel got to live out his life, as unhappy and miserable as it turned out to be. Vicki was denied that. I say she still has the edge over Daniel (just barely though) as to which of them had the worst, most tragic and undeserved end.

I can't help but still wonder what Ben is STILL doing at Collinwood around 1840. All right, I get that maybe he didn't just want to pack up and get as far away from Collinwood as soon as possible when Joshua gave him his freedom back in 1796, what with all the recent tragedies Joshua had to endure, but I would have thought that at some point in time Ben would have wanted to make a new start....don't get me wrong, I liked seeing Ben again, but the one thing I don't like is that [spoiler] he ends up getting killed all too soon [/spoiler].

I can't help if some intervening force, not just the presence of Julia and Barnabas, that ended up changing Ben's fate for the worse. I speculated that Barnabas' unexpected second return trip to 1796 may had unintentionally altered Vicki's fate, with the Leviathans popping up there. But I really can't think of a reason for the alternation of Ben's destiny in here.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »
I figure that Ben worked for the Collinses for many more years after 1795/6, then moved to town, got married, had a kid or two, perhaps still working for them, perhaps not.  Then he got old, and couldn't work anymore, and Daniel took him in to retire in a nice mansion, out of appreciation.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »
Like Hallie, Carrie seems to have had a hard life, loosing both parents at a young age. It appears that Ben tried to take care of her and give her a proper home. At one point, it apparently came too much for him and he got Daniel to take them in. Notice that they are living in the main house, not in the servants' quarters. Carrie is also a peer of Tad's. They share a governess while Gabriel and Edith's children are sent away to school. Carrie fits in well with the entire family, the somewhat uptight prigs at Collinwood and the so-called "circus" at Rose Cottage. Would she have continued to live at Collinwood? Perhaps marry Tad or one of Gabriel's sons?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »
We never hear that any "Stokes" joined the Collins family and became ancestors to Liz and Roger.