Author Topic: ds cemetery  (Read 836 times)

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
ds cemetery
« on: February 03, 2002, 03:23:09 AM »
Originally posted by petofi on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 02, 2002 at 21:23:09:

I was flipping through the "Introduction of Barnabas," the Festival publication recounting the early Barnabas episodes, when a picture on page 112 caught my eye. On that page, there are two photo stills of a cemetery which were used on the show. This depiction is NOT the weedy, very old looking cemetery, but the one with several larger monuments dispersed among smaller stones. One of the monuments has the name "Asa Cooper" on it, with readable dates. Being curious, I logged on to www.findagrave.com and punched in this info, along with the guessed cemetery location of New York State. Voila! It turns out that this man was buried in Montebello, NY, in the Maple Grove Cemetery there. To confirm that it is the same Asa Cooper, and the same monument as in the slide photo, there is a site photo of the stone that matches perfectly. Montebello is in Rockland County, upstate of NYC.
Encouraged by this find, I punched in the name "barnabas" in the non-famous grave search on the site, and got four different barnabas listings for New York. Bob Costello once mentioned in an interview that he got the name of a grave stone in Flushing. There were no Flushing Barnabases in the search return, but two of them came back from Suffolk County, on Long Island. This is fairly close to NYC and Flushing, but may be a stretch. Anyway, it was an interesting sourjourn into DS research for me, and at least one of the graveyards is now known to me. Any ideas as to where the other, weedy cemetery slide was taken? i would hazard either New York or Connecticut somewhere.

Petofi, out "diggin' up bones"

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: ds cemetery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2002, 05:18:51 PM »
Posted by Anne on February 03, 2002 at 11:18:51:

Petofi Thats really great news i would of been
really escited over that. Can't imagine coming across
a article orpcit used for the DS cementary. Way Cool!! Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2002, 12:22:33 AM »
Originally posted by Vlad on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 04, 2002 at 18:22:33:

Amazing detective work, Petofi! Isn't that "find a grave" site for finding the graves of famous/notable people? If so, then who was this Asa Cooper? Please keep us posted with any new developments!

I think I may be on the trail of some "literary" research myself - a possible source for the disembodied head in the 1840 storyline ¢â‚¬¦

- Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2002, 07:34:05 PM »
Originally posted by petofi on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 05, 2002 at 13:34:05:

Vlad wrote:
Amazing detective work, Petofi! Isn't that "find a grave" site for finding the graves of famous/notable people? If so, then who was this Asa Cooper? Please keep us posted with any new developments!

There is an extensive non-famous database of millions of gravesites, which is where I found good old Asa! www.findagrave.com is quite well known for it's "famous" database, however.

I think I may be on the trail of some "literary" research myself - a possible source for the disembodied head in the 1840 storyline ¢â‚¬¦

Good luck, and keep ME posted about that!

PS: Glad you liked my little tid-bit , Anne. Always happy to share the minutiae that I run across.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2002, 04:55:14 AM »
What an interesting find, thanks for sharing that with us! You never know what you might come across that's Dark Shadows related. I am familiar with the Find A Grave site. I created an online memorial for the late Dark Shadows actor, Craig Slocum, my fave. I also have a link to it on my Cheryl's Craig Slocum Website, http://members.tripod.com/~MrJuggins/cheryl/slocum.htm. In my searches and inquiries on Mr. Slocum, I have found out some personal info, his credits, but no burial info. I thought it would be nice to create a memorial for him. I am thankful to the people who have added on to it. If I ever get the missing info, I will add a photo of the grave onto the memorial. I hope to visit him someday.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan