Author Topic: Grayson's erstwhile Wiki editor(s)  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Grayson's erstwhile Wiki editor(s)
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:54:58 PM »
Words to the wise who trust Wikipedia as an infallible source:

I've noted in the last year or two, someone (maybe several someones) keep fiddling with Grayson's bio data on Wiki.  Now I know its free, and for "everyone" but the information is just plain WRONG.   Grayson's parents weren't Mordecai and Ida, they were Joseph and Eleanor, her father was a used car salesman (and a bookie and a few other less savory things) ...She only went to Cornell for 1 semester and there is no evidence she was a student at Temple, though she may have been a bit player in some of their productions (though I found no evidence of that either).  And she didn't have a "long" battle with cancer; she was diagnosed and died 6 months to the day of her diagnosis.

Sooo please spread the word and if you note errors, let me know so they can be corrected. 
I footnoted the information about her parents today, hopefully that will cause the "editors" to rethink changing it.
Leading to some of the confusion may be there was a 2nd Shirley Grossman in Philadelphia at the time, AND she also went to Simon Gratz High School but they are two different girls...photos of the two clearly demonstrate this (as well at the birth dates and parents names). ...

rant over.
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Grayson's erstwhile Wiki editor(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »
Sadly it's frequently not a good idea to trust some of the info on Wikipedia (or IMDb) as infallible. It's merely unfortunate when someone who thinks they have the correct info posts something wrong because they've confused a person with someone else, as might be the case with Grayson. But anything that's open to "everyone" fiddling with it is also subject to fiddling from smart alecks who post incorrect info simply because they can and they think it's funny - which it isn't in most cases...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »
This is why schools (elementary, secondary, college, etc.)  do not allow students to use Wiki when doing research. 

Gerard

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »
I fear I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but...I have, late in life, discovered that often the discussion page of a Wikipedia article is more interesting than the article itself, because that's where people who are (or sometimes who are not) knowledgeable on the subject argue out the issues.  Julia99, if you feel that the other editors are acting in good though mistaken faith, you might want to put a note in on the discussion page for the Grayson Hall article explaining the changes you made.

Also, I see that Julia Collins from PT 1841 is not listed among Hall's Dark Shadows roles.  Obviously I could change the article myself, but I'd prefer not to get involved.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:43:13 PM »
First--that is a new americana lexicon for me..."teaching my grandmother to suck eggs" ! Love it.

And I didn't **know** there were discussion boards for the pages...maybe I'll check it out.
Julia99

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:29:12 AM »
It's good to see that the article has been corrected and properly cited with a reliable source!  [santa_smiley] Many Wikipedia articles I've consulted are excellent, but the quality does vary as I've come across some incorrect information on occasion too.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995