Author Topic: MPI chat with Dan Curtis on Wednesday, 9/18 at 6 p.m. Central Time  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
MPI chat with Dan Curtis on Wednesday, 9/18 at 6 p.m. Central Time
« on: September 17, 2002, 09:36:31 PM »
To join the chat, go to www.darkshadowsdvd.com and click on Web Chats.

You can submit your advance questions now at

http://www.darkshadowsdvd.com/question.asp

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: MPI chat with Dan Curtis on Wednesday, 9/18 at 6 p.m. Central Time
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2002, 11:22:13 PM »
Hi Midnite thanks for the info can't wait to try
it out!!  Love U Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 02:39:30 AM »
Heh, must've been a short chat. I just went over there at 6:25 central and it indicated it was over -- or perhaps after a certain time, late arrivals are not admitted. Anyway, I had submitted a question to the effect of: "If a new DS production were a possibility, would it feature new ideas or be another retelling of the Barnabas/Josette tale? I think most viewers -- and not just the hardcore DS fans -- would love to see something fresh and progressive rather than yet another retread." Dunno if it was used, or if others posed the same question. If someone who was there can enlighten us....?

[shadow=maroon,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 02:55:05 AM »
I believe there were technical problems on this chat. Several times, Curtis himself got kicked off, and the chat did end quite soon.  Somebody did ask a queston about whether or not there would ever be a next-generation DS v. a retelling of the same old story, but Curtis never got around to answering it.  Supposedly more questions will be answered in the transcript than in the actual chat. I would't hold my breath for any shockng revelations though; the few answers that Curtis did give didn't seem to have anything to do with the actual questions.

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 02:57:55 AM »
Heh, must've been a short chat. I just went over there at 6:25 central and it indicated it was over -- or perhaps after a certain time, late arrivals are not admitted. Anyway, I had submitted a question to the effect of: "If a new DS production were a possibility, would it feature new ideas or be another retelling of the Barnabas/Josette tale? I think most viewers -- and not just the hardcore DS fans -- would love to see something fresh and progressive rather than yet another retread." Dunno if it was used, or if others posed the same question. If someone who was there can enlighten us....?

It ended at around that time, maybe shortly after.  This chat was definitely a quickie.

Victoriaw asked a very similar question-- "Will there ever be a next generation type of DS, instead of rehashing the old story again?"  I'm not sure if this is its answer because it appeared on the screen prior to VW's question, but it certainly didn't answer any of the other questions:  "We are always trying to set up a Dark Shadows movie somewhere, somehow.  At the moment, there's really nothing happening though."

As a matter of fact, a lot of the questions weren't matched with answers, probably due in large part to the fact that both guest and host couldn't seem to stay connected.  Sometimes there were answers without questions and sometimes questions without answers, and in the case of my question I guess he decided to run with something other than what I asked. ;)  Anyway, they apologized for the technical problems and we were promised a transcript with additional answers (though I think that would make it something other than a transcript, LOL).  Sorry I can't tell you more, Mark.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 03:17:32 AM »
As a matter of fact, a lot of the questions weren't matched with answers, probably due in large part to the fact that both guest and host couldn't seem to stay connected.  Sometimes there were answers without questions and sometimes questions without answers, and in the case of my question I guess he decided to run with something other than what I asked. ;)  

Midnite,

It looked like he answered my question about character development and your question was on the screen.

I guess it was my lucky day since two of my questions were answered by DC!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2002, 04:45:31 AM »
Midnite,

It looked like he answered my question about character development and your question was on the screen.

I asked who his favorite directors are, past and present, and this was what followed--

Dan Curtis:  My first directing experience was one week of Dark Shadows and it was the greatest nightmare experience of my life.  The very first show was the biggest disaster that was ever put on videotape and I almost gave up all thought of becoming a director as a result of it.

Did that answer one of your questions, VAM?  I figured somebody had asked him about his first directing experience... unless his favorite director happens to be himself. :D

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2002, 04:56:34 AM »
I asked who his favorite directors are, past and present, and this was what followed--

Dan Curtis:  My first directing experience was one week of Dark Shadows and it was the greatest nightmare experience of my life.  The very first show was the biggest disaster that was ever put on videotape and I almost gave up all thought of becoming a director as a result of it.

Did that answer one of your questions, VAM?  I figured somebody had asked him about his first directing experience... unless his favorite director happens to be himself. :D

No, I asked a question about character development and if he was responsible or the writers. Mr. Curtis' response  was about Alexandra Moltke as the image of Victoria Winters and the unsuccessful attempt to replace her. I thought this answer followed your question but I could be mistaken here.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2002, 05:24:26 AM »
Anyway, they apologized for the technical problems and we were promised a transcript with additional answers (though I think that would make it something other than a transcript, LOL).  Sorry I can't tell you more, Mark.

Sorta sounds like what happens with the Congressional Record. Since the House of Reps is on strict time limits, members often request unanimous consent to revise and extend their remarks at a later date so that what appears in the CR is not necessarily what they said on the House floor.

I never quite understood the appeal of sitting in on a chat when the questions were submitted in advance. If you scroll really slowly through the transcript and accidentally close it 4 or 5 times, you can create the same effect at a time that's more compatible with your own schedule. :D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2002, 05:39:54 AM »
Thus far from what I've read hear, this chat was probably even worse than the one with KLS.  Not her fault, just bad connections or whatever.  For her chat, I got on at exactly 5:00cst and asked a question that never got answered.  I could tell that people who logged in after me were getting their questions answered. Still there were some long pauses when nothing was happening.

I best chat so far has to be the one with John Karlen (the very first one) he was on I think for about 40 minutes.  I asked several questions and they were answered. It seemed like people who logged in after me were getting their ques. answered.  There weren't the awful long pauses like there was for KLS.

They will supposedly have a transcript of the chat over at DarkShaodowsDVD.Com.  They took a real long time to get the KLS transcript posted over there whereas the one for JK was posted within a day or two.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2002, 10:42:15 AM »
my name is victoria winters...  i believe that the chats on MPI are somehow locked in a parallel time warp.  you think that you are chatting with someone "live' in the present moment and then in a flash they either didn't answer your question or they suddenly disappeared.

i frankly have been extremely disappointed (and bored) with them.  the only thing that has kept me going to them is that i've been chatting on line in msn messenger at that same time with other DS friends.

then we just laugh and decide if we are going to ask any questions that are never answered or are partially answered.

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2002, 01:50:04 PM »
Great...I hope Dan Curtis is still in this reality or else we'll never see a DS movie..Imagine he wakes up in 1795 and TV hasn't even been invented...seriously I give up on MPI chats for a while...

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2002, 02:40:27 PM »
...seriously I give up on MPI chats for a while...

I don't think you have to worry because the way the chats are scheduled it is likely there won't be one for another 2 months.

Offline mpi_marketing

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2002, 04:39:50 PM »
Hello.

As most of you are aware, there were some technical problems that occurred during the chat with Dan Curtis.  We will be providing a complete record of the questions that were able to answered & plan to post these answers in addition to the corresponding question on the web site in the next day or so.

I've also noticed some concerns about individuals not getting their questions answered during certain time periods in the chat.  Many questions are received during the chat time period, so we are unable to answer all questions.  To account for this dilemma, questions which seem to be popular (ie- several individuals asking them) are answered.  We attempt to answer both questions from the live chat along with pre-submitted questions.

If you are finding that your questions are not being answered during chats, it's recommended to pre-submit your question along with ask it during the live chat.  This will increase your chances.

Thanks again to all the DS fans who participated in the chat.  Look for a complete chat summary to be posted on the web site in the next day or so.

MPI

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2002, 07:19:46 PM »

I never got there, was helping my daughter with her homework. She has homework every day except Friday. When I was in the first grade, we never even had homework, but then that was 32 years ago! I haven't been to one of these chats yet, maybe I'll get to the next one. Glad your questions were answered VAM, that was lucky for you!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan