Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1110  (Read 1479 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1110
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:00:10 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1110
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »
The writers had a ball confounding our expectations today.  We arrive in 1840 to learn that Quentin and Tad are already dead, and nobody has heard of Daphne.  And they surely enjoyed populating Collinwood with characters that are not our usual Collinses.  All of Chris Pennock's previous characters have been non-Collinses, and we've never seen Virginia Vestoff before.  How interesting that she did the voiceover before we ever saw her!

Chris Pennock, after a brief stretch as nice guy Sebastian Shaw, is now playing a bad guy again.  Maybe Dan Curtis saw him as a villain type, but I liked seeing him as a good guy.

It was good to see Ben Stokes, and especially good to hear his old familiar accent.  I wish we could have heard more about how he ended up as he is now.  What happened to his son, Carrie's father?  And Carrie's mother, and Ben's wife?

I don't think much of that pale blue sofa in the drawing room.  It doesn't go with the panelling.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:48:20 AM »
1840!!

Julia, still in the staircase room, is drawing a lot of conclusions in her head, considering that all she's done is open a door and see Carrie in that same dress she's always in.  This could have been sometime in 1970 or 1995.   I didn't remember that Carrie was a Stokes too.  Why didn't Elliot know about her?

How can they expect viewers just to accept that Gabriel can pop upstairs at will?   They could at least have hired an extra to stand there by the stairs, and be the guy who carries him up and down.  They wouldn't have to show it happening or even explain his presence necessarily. 

No over-acting from VV in the playroom-- she was good.   Of course, Samantha may have been acting, herself...

Gabriel is my favorite C Pennock role.   Talking to Ben, it was interesting to see him go from bellowing superiority to self-justifying insecurity, almost timidity, than back to bellowing again.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:18:51 AM »
9/25/70

I love the stairway into time and the music playing is perfect! 

Chris does a wonderful job playing Gabriel and from what I gather he really enjoyed this character. 

It's kind of sad that KLS didn't get to play Samantha as I think she was supposed to.  It would have been nice to see her play someone with some backbone!  However, I like VV very much!   She is a great actress who can really do the high camp and then bring such emotion and depth to her character as she talks to Carrie about Tad.

How old would Ben be?  I would guess he is in his 70S? It's great to see him again and the old age makeup is fabulous! He fell right back into the accent with perfect ease!“I can't tell Danneel Collins his son is dead!”  LOL  The way he says “Daniel” makes me laugh out loud. A friend and I get a total kick out of it and go around saying it all the time making one another laugh!

That afghan must be and heirloom! ;)

I love Ben's Madonna gloves!  I recently got a pair but want some leather ones.

I like the redressed Collinwood-very nice!

The Petofi box is on the mantle in Ben's room!

They seemed to really have stepped up the music. All of it seems to go well with the moods be acted out!

With all its faults I am a fan of 1840!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:32:33 AM »
I'm trying and failing to imagine you playing warty old Ben saying "Mr. Dannell", T....!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 04:57:56 AM »
A lot of people say it's dead on.  I also do Count Petofi and everyone says that one is totally dead on. I played Petofi in a DS movie me and my friends made so I had time to perfect it. I will have to send you a copy. It was pretty good for a bunch of kids! :) I played dual roles as Barnabas and Petofi. My brother was my stand in when I needed to talk to myself.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 05:24:14 AM »
I'd like to see that.  Just the idea of a kid playing Petofi is fun in itself, though we did see that, didn't we?  (D Henesy)   I'd like to be a Trask.  Not Lamar, because he doesn't get to push people around.  I want to bellow at people in a booming voice about how wicked they are!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 06:00:30 AM »
Well we were teens but when you are 33 one tends to think of ones self as a kid at 14!

On Topic:  I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying seeing Ben again! :) I had reviewed these eps a long time ago but I am watching them again now!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
I've always thought how nice it was that by 1840 Ben had risen from former indentured servant to honored servant emeritus with his own cozy room at Collinwood, complete with big fireplace and Barnabas's portrait over the mantel! All of this must have been Daniel's doing back before he lost his mind. It's strange, though, that Daniel is far more feeble than Ben, although he was only a boy when Ben was apparently about 40 or so back in 1795. I suppose madness took its toll. Daniel is one of the very saddest DS characters, and even more tragedy is in store for the poor old guy.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »
I guess killing ones wife tends to drive one crazy!  I know I couldn't live with myself if I accidentally killed someone.  Shudder....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »
DL-- What's more, the story of Ben bettering himself continues despite his unhappy end, in the form of T. Elliot Stokes his decendant becoming a learned man, and well-known smartass.

T-- I choose to think that the murder happened after the insanity, and because of it.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 01:05:03 AM »
Yeah it probably did happen after Daniel lost his mind.  He was sad but LE played him wonderfully with a hint of JOSHUA but he did a great job ONCE AGAIN of differentiating Daniel from the other characters he played! I liked how he raised his voice to play Daniel.  He was a fine actor!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 01:41:17 AM »
LE broke in that higher-voice act wonderfully with 1897 butling Edward...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »
Yeah he did, but it seems a bit more pronounced with "Mr. Daneeel!" ;)