Author Topic: Biggest Pet Peeves  (Read 4690 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest Pet Peeves
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2002, 05:15:47 PM »
I realize that Dan Curtis & company were on a tight, no-frills budget back then.

Hmmm...No frills budget but Staff, Cast, and Crew would sometimes hit the local restaurant for dinner after the show for that day-Go figure...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2002, 08:45:56 PM »
Hmmm...No frills budget but Staff, Cast, and Crew would sometimes hit the local restaurant for dinner after the show for that day-Go figure...

Sure they did, on their own money! You don't really think he would PAY for it do you????? [spin]

Does anyone know how it works for lunch on a tv show set? I know in movies they cater it for the whole crew, which is a pretty nice perk for the workers. Do they do that on a tv show? I can just see the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that DC would generously provide! [greed]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2002, 03:59:05 PM »
Hey gang,

Maybe they all dined alfresco at the corner hot dog stand outside of the ABC studio, sort of like the way that Gene Wilder and the late, great Zero Mostel did in "The Producers."  I'm sure that DC was enough of a big spender to splurge for that epicurean feast.

Then again, maybe on extra-special occasions (Christmas, Bob O'Connell's birthday, etc.), they phoned down to Canal Street and placed a take-out order for complete Chinese dinners for seventy-five people.

Bob the Bartender, who just loves the way they make calzones down at the Azurra Grotto on Mulberry Street.  

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2002, 09:18:40 PM »
Does anyone know how it works for lunch on a tv show set? I know in movies they cater it for the whole crew, which is a pretty nice perk for the workers. Do they do that on a tv show? I can just see the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that DC would generously provide! [greed]

TV shows have a catering truck for location shoots.  Same thing on the sets, except for the large studios which have cafeterias.

I have no idea how lunch was handled on the DS set, but your scenario wouldn't surprise me at all. ;)

Nancy

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2002, 10:14:23 PM »

But the actors paid for that out of their own pocket. That would not have anything to do with DC's budget for the show.   It's not uncommon for actors and crew to go and hang out together after a day's shoot.

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2002, 10:20:52 PM »

Sure they did, on their own money! You don't really think he would PAY for it do you????? [spin]

No employer anywhere in any business is expected to pay for the employees meals every day unless those individuals are working overtime or there is some stipulation of their lunch being provided for in some circumstance, such as some union agreement.

I don't know how it was back in the 1960s but today in AFTRA the union stipulations that food be provided for union actors.  Non-union actors are more or less on their own but I've been on shoots where some "lesser food" was provided for the non-union personnel.  Of course, the meals are provided because you are expected to stay on the set and not leave for lunch.  On Dark Shadows, I've been told that the actors either  ordered in or went out for a bite.  That could be because the entire cast and crew broke for lunch at the same time and could leave or the union had not stipulated that lunch be provided - don't know on that score what it was back then.

When the House of Dark Shadows was being made, the actors were provided meals at the "honey wagon" as it was called.

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2002, 10:22:57 PM »
Hey gang,
Bob the Bartender, who just loves the way they make calzones down at the Azurra Grotto on Mulberry Street.  

Me too, Bob!! Delicious!

Nancy

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2002, 10:35:13 PM »
You're right Nancy most business don't provide lunch we get a discount at our cafe!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2002, 10:52:29 PM »
When the House of Dark Shadows was being made, the actors were provided meals at the "honey wagon" as it was called.

I went with my son's class when they visited a local shoot for 7th Heaven (the little girl was their classmate), and while being showed around someone explained where the term "honey wagon" came from.  Ewwww.