Author Topic: sometimes vicki's a pain in neck  (Read 1748 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
sometimes vicki's a pain in neck
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
everyone knows i loves me some vic but i'm watching 1795 again and noticing something i really hadn't before...

the ways she treats nathan forbes at the start of the storyline. yes he comes on strong. yes he seems like something of a rogue. but vicki deals with him the way she always deals with people she finds unsavoury...

be acting haughty and aloof! she's really above and beyond. she gave jason mcquire and willie loomis the victoria winters deep freeze and now lieutenant forbes finds himself himself out in the cold. brrr!

later nicholas blair gets a similar treatment.

i see what's behind writing the character this way(at least at the time): she's a young lady of "quality and virtue". we get it. but really where does she get off!

her attitude once prompted a friend to remark "ooh she's frosty isn't she?".

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: sometimes vicki's a pain in neck
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 04:36:15 AM »
I have to admit I love watching her give Blair the freeze, particularly since her character had so little backbone as a rule at that point.

Even more fabulous is seeing Miss Carolyn Stoddard frostily informing Blair, "We come from a very old family."

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 05:30:57 PM »
part of this unintended air of hauteur probably stems from alexandra moltke's impossibly aristocratic carriage. at times she comes off as almost "regal" for a lowly servant girl.

much like joan bennett moltke possessed an impeccable diction(thanks to spence and miss porter's school)that gave the character a rather "patrician" quality.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »
Interesting. Now that I think about it, the sort of "tough cookie" female characters on the show: Carolyn, Julia, Angelique, Eve, and to a degree, Elizabeth, are all written with a comfort level to zing their unsavoury male and female adversaries, while indeed, Victoria responds to such elements with a standard "deep freeze" haughtiness.  What gave her a rare chance to be dicey in so few fleeting moments were Vicki's lapses of concentration; when she'd become simply exasperated, forget her manners, and just snap (she took David & Roger to task several times in that first year as the new governess):

Vicki (to Cassandra): "You deserve a whole lot more than just a slap in the face!"
Vicki (to Nicholas): "...[you appeared] as if we had to have some eye of evil constantly staring at us!" "You're not human!"

For a girl who went toe-to-toe with both a witch and a warlock, Vicki deserved to be let in on more of the real goings-on at Collinwood and The Old House, but that reality might have hardened her spirit. Maybe her haughtiness was to give her character the ongoing hope of becoming humbled in her enlightenment. Characters like Julia and Eve had already been around the block and weren't dropping the chips on their shoulders over the next dashing vampire who summoned them into his web.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »
I found her 'haughtiness' refreshing.  Due to her upbringing, part of it can be traced to not wanting to be hurt by others..self-preservation if you will.  I think her behavior is also due in part to her genes.  I've been told that my son and I share some of the same mannerisms.  Not specifically male or female oriented but the way we move our hands, a shrug of the shoulders, the turning of a head, etc.  These traits are not shared by myself or my daughter. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:16:29 PM »
Her behavior to Nathan is even more off balance given his propensity to help her in the future, until his own self-interest got in the way.  Anyway, I don't think her decisions about people are very reliable--Barnabas was much more "evil" than Nicholas or Willie, and I don't think very much of Burke Devlin either. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:36:05 AM »
Barnabas was more evil than Nicholas?  I'm not sure I agree with that!

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 12:41:32 AM »
Well, Barnabas definitely killed and ruined more people's lives than Nicholas ever did, and still worse he was a total hypocrite about it.  Nicholas prefered to use charm to get what he wanted, while even after an apparent cure, Barnabas still went on about having to kill this or that person.   There is also his endless courtship of young women when he knew for a fact they would die if they fell in love with him.   I'm sure if Viki knew what Barnabas had done to Maggie, she would change her mind.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 03:06:22 AM »
Well, Barnabas was no saint, but he never made a bargain with Lucifer or Diablos, or whatever to take over the world. I'm sure that Diablos plans for humanitiy were pretty dire once he got his SUPER RACE going.  Still, you made me think about how dangerous Barnabas was even after he supposedly "reformed".

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 02:40:53 AM »
i guess today's slideshow is something of a reminder of just how "evil" barnabas could be.

this is all getting off-topic but i never really thought about a throwdown in the evil department between barnabas and nicholas blair.

in theory blair is worse(especially after they make barnabas "nice")but still he doesn't leave behind the trail of body bags barnabas does. even after he's supposedly 'reformed" he still does majorly crappy things to people like with maggie evans during the adam plot when he was going to use her for the life force.

tough call [devil2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 11:57:31 PM »
Barnabas was no saint, I agree with that. And yes, regrettably he did leave a lot of bodies in his wake. Some of his victims asked for it, others didn't deserve their fate. But even so, I don't think he was more evil than Nicholas. I don't think Barnabas ever wanted to be a cold-blooded murderer just for kicks. It was the curse that usually (but not always) compelled him to kill.

He was usually a vamp whenever he killed. I don't remember him wanting to kill in cold blood once he was human. I can't deny though that even as a human he could still be quite selfish a lot of the time (the Maggie scenerio in the Adam plot as mscbryk pointed out).

Still it had never been Barnabas' intention for world domination, as it had been for Nicholas. Nicholas tried (and failed miserably twice) to install a monsterous race onto the Earth, dooming all humanity.

Back to the original subject: I love the Vicki who spoke her mind. Jason and Willie were both creeps who deserved to get told off.
I admit Forbes at the beginning...well when he was still trying to help her, I have to admit she should have accepted his offer instead of brushing off the accusations against her ever so silly.

I love that Vicki had a bit of spunk about her...I just wish they hadn't turned her into such a clueless dumbell.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:59:52 PM »
Speaking of Vicki and things that might be a pain in the neck after too long (because of weight in this instance), I've been meaning to post for a while to ask if it's just me or do the backup dancers in Florence + The Machine's trippy video for Dog Days Are Over look like they're channeling '66 Vicki (possibly mixed with an exotic female alien from Star Trek):

Not only do they have the fall piled high atop their heads - they have sleeveless dresses. Beyond the blue skin/lips, the look just screams '66 Vicki!  [b003]  (Though those eps were in B&W, so how do we really know that Vicki didn't have blue tinted skin?  [wink2])

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:10:39 AM »
love it! [hall2_kiss]

where are all of vicki's sleeveless dresses now? did ABC wardrobing recycle them on other shows? it's strange to think of someone else wearing them. you just know the fabrics were non-biodegradable so they're probably just sitting in some landfill for the next five thousand years.

sabrina stewart actually ended up with one of vicki's coats. [hall2_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 05:21:18 AM »
Golly, it's Vicki's new Avatar look!  Awesome!

Vicki's trip to Bangor is up on the Robservations slideshow tonight.  Ah, the memories...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 06:43:05 AM »
 [lghy]  I didn't even think of Avatar.  [6184]

(And BTW, anyone who has never seen the video (though it's all but impossible to miss on any sort of music video station because it's been in heavy rotation for months) can check it out here. (It'll come up after a short ad.) Enjoy!
(Not surprisingly, the video recently won an MTV Video Award for Best Art Direction.))