Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1077  (Read 1371 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1077
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1077
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:40 AM »
Golly, what a strange conversation between Quentin and David: each of them knowing that Daphne had been there in David's room, and each of them determined not to let on.  And, of course, it was made all the stranger by the fact that once, not too long ago, Quentin, or anyway his ghost, was the one doing the haunting.  Quentin doesn't remember that, and David shouldn't, but David does.  Or anyway, he did before Barnabas went into parallel time.  There's no telling what he remembers now.

Maggie was funny at the picnic.  You could hear that she was talking with her mouth full.  How nice for Kathryn Leigh Scott to play a damsel who's not in distress!

And then later on, Maggie was unintentionally funny when she said to Quentin, "It's futile to love someone who's dead."  Oh, gosh, she has no idea (because she can't remember it) how much trouble she would have been spared if only Barnabas had felt that way!

During that same conversation, Quentin talked about the Quentin who lived in 1840: same name, same house.  And that's Dark Shadows in a nutshell: Collinses at Collinwood, whatever the year, whatever the time band.  Yeah, I know, Quentin meant Quentin Collins at Collinwood.  Never mind.  I still hope Joe Caldwell smiled as he wrote that line.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:17:34 AM »
That's a good service, getting flowers delivered in your dreams.  I wonder what that kind of thing costs.   ***  Come to think, like Q, I'm just about "lonely" enough to respond positively to a house intrusion from a sexy ghost.   Bring it on.   Alternatively, I need drinking buddies, or a doctor friend who's free with the sedatives, too.    ***  A nice Maggie sweater. 

More and more, Quentin's situation at Collinwood seems insanity-producing, priming him for ghost-dependence.   It starts with his strange isolation and dead-end non-role at Collinwood.   Why this would lead to such extreme consequences though, I'm not sure.   Was Q just out of ideas, as to how to live his life after 75 or 80 years of adulthood?   Is it a life crisis that happens to all 100-year-old immortals?   Or is it just the weirdness of the location, being back in his old room etc.?   What the hell is Quentin doing living in a small town in Maine?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »
My impression is that Quentin's infatuation with Daphne is largely, if not solely, of supernatural creation.  He's just not acting like the Quentin-on-the-chase that we're used to seeing.  As for the isolation and the dead-end non-role, he may still be recovering from Amanda's death.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
My impression is that Quentin's infatuation with Daphne is largely, if not solely, of supernatural creation.  He's just not acting like the Quentin-on-the-chase that we're used to seeing.  As for the isolation and the dead-end non-role, he may still be recovering from Amanda's death.

Well certainly, uninfluenced, on-the-prowl Quentin wouldn't be pursuing a ghost, so that's proof of supernatural influence right there.   We do see some struggle going on though (maybe more so later), so he's influenced but not totally controlled.   I don't know if Q's isolation and possible century-mark crisis make him more susceptible to influence, but it seemed interesting that they might.   

It's hard to imagine pining for Amanda like that, but it's certainly what he's supposed to be feeling...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
Is it just me, or was anyone else wondering why David suddenly has the picture of the woman in period dress hanging prominently on the wall in his room?

Doesn't seem like the sort of thing a boy his age might be interested in, nor does it seem to be something that fits in with any of the other things he has hanging on his walls. And to have moved it from where it hung originally, which was outside of the PT room, makes it all the more ponderable. But hey, it's hardly the first things about David that has been ponderable, now is it?  [ghost_wink]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:06:41 AM »
I'm imagining Elizabeth coming into David's room at some ungodly hour of the morning like 10am with the picture and a hammer and a nail, and hanging the picture up (bang! bang! bang! with the hammer) while telling David he should have been up long ago and the picture was needed there because [fill in the blank, probably something to do with somebody coming to visit].

Or anyway, that's how it would have been for me with my mother when I was growing up.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:12:44 AM »
Is that old photo showing some leg, or am I just getting "lonely" a la Q?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 06:35:20 AM »
All of a sudden, there was a Quentin Collins at Collinwood in 1840.  All of a sudden because in '69, B & J searched the family records for that name but never mentioned that there'd been two.

Lilacs, a carousel, a note, and a room that all appear and disappear, plus a photograph capable of giving you the creeps-- the family is being haunted by inanimate objects.  I wouldn't trust that model ship either.

LOL

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »
I wouldn't trust that model ship either.

TEE HEE

Your too funny!

8/11/70

I really liked KLS belt and shirt. 

Is Louis doing a play at this time?  I have read “BIG LOU” but I don't recall at the moment what he is up to in this point of his career.

I wonder where Quentin gets his money?  I have always thought Barnabas had lots of jewels that were worth enough money to support him up to this point.

And how has David wanted to use Quentin's camera for OVER a year when he hasn't been at Collinwood for even a year yet?
I wonder had the show continued would have Jeb somehow been brought back.  It certainly seemed that was the way they would have probably went!

KLS is looking quite beautiful.  This looks like a new slide of the woods but I may be wrong.

This looks like a redressed woods set—regardless it's nice!

Nancy looks really pretty in her skirt, chain and long flowing hair. 

Creepy scene with the two opposing colors of green and red and from what I gather the 2004 pilot had colors like this.  Lela seems to be directing a lot lately.

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 09:06:15 PM »
LOL @ Midnite from me also.

Thanks Taeylor re my fun factor.

It'd be nice to have easy-to-reference chronological career lists for the actors and writers, not for film release dates, but weeks spent working on this or that.

If Q was smart in a way few of us are, he took coins etc and buried them (avoiding the stock market crash that way) so that they gained in value and made him a fortune.  Anyway, I imagine Q got sensible regarding money during one of those decades, and had a long time to save, invest, whatever.  Now I'm curious what the coins were in 1897.   Gold coins still?