Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1074  (Read 1672 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1074
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1074
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:51:31 PM »
Three characters are trying to outdo each other in orangeness: Carolyn, Hallie, and David.   Even the Green Hornet effect is orange.   David loses orangeness when his sweater inexplicably goes from being yellow-orange to plain yellow.   

I dislike the... plaintiveness? of some DS dialogue:  all the lines like "When will we know what's happening?  WHEN?"   --or--   "Who is trying to kill so and so?   WHO??"   Nobody speaks like that, and it makes a character sound useless and cowardly.

Abner Collins?   He asked Daphne to go to the playroom?   Was he an ancestor of Oscar's, passing on his trait of invisibility?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:13:54 AM »
Magnus, I thought it wasn't Abner Collins that was involved, but rather the location of his portrait.  I was surprised to learn that David knew where the portrait was.  That's a pretty obscure spot in the house, and yet he's familiar with it.  Who told him the name of the subject of the portrait?

As David and Hallie talked in the gazebo, I thought: "David's old enough to know he should get some help on this."  But then, as David talked about wanting to wait and see who would come, I imagined David going to Barnabas, and it didn't compute.  David wants to believe he's big enough to handle these things himself.  And it's not at all certain that Barnabas would be any help.  I mean, I'm assuming David doesn't want to see all his friends and relations dropping like flies.

What always gets me about Daphne is that she's such an un-alluring ghost.  She's stiff, and her hair is stiff - but my impression is that this is intentional.  Is the idea of the stiffness that she feels out of place in the 20th century?  I love the scent of lilacs in the spring, but I have trouble associating that scent with Daphne.  Unlike Josette, she doesn't look like the sort of person who would use scent.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 02:25:43 PM »
Could Abner have been Flora's late husband?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
"...David Collins takes a step into a frightening future on Dark Shadows next..."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »
As David and Hallie talked in the gazebo, I thought: "David's old enough to know he should get some help on this."  But then, as David talked about wanting to wait and see who would come, I imagined David going to Barnabas, and it didn't compute.  David wants to believe he's big enough to handle these things himself.  And it's not at all certain that Barnabas would be any help.  I mean, I'm assuming David doesn't want to see all his friends and relations dropping like flies.
I'd be miffed and frustrated too if I overheard the grownups fussing about some terrible thing that would center around me, but no one would talk to me directly about it.  So if I were David, I might decide to keep my own secrets from them too.

Liz's reading material-- Astrology by Louis MacNeice-- is a real book:  http://www.amazon.com/Astrology-Louis-MacNeice/dp/0385052456
But according to on-line biographies, the author was drinking heavily and viewed that work (published posthumously) and other free-lance projects written during that time as "hack work."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if want I add really helps as I don't  always have deep thoughts but I love the WP so I am going to continue it. :)  

8/6/70

Is Hallie supposed to be older than David? At the moment I am too lazy to see if Kathy was.
The DS production team has really stepped up the pace in my opinion with the false wind, the sound of wind, the cool camera angles. And it feels like in the latter episodes the music supervisor really finally figured out what compositions go with the mood they are trying to convey!

“Mother I really don't believe in much of anything…”  Really Carolyn I find that a bit hard to believe with all you have seen. That was one mean scream. Nancy better watch her back being the scream queen.

Looks like they used a Pre Tape segment for the dream or they held the tape because DH couldn't have changed that quickly.
I wonder if they had the means to edit daily or xyz amount of times a week?  I love technical stuff so just overlook me.
Another cut it seems because JB is full dressed and changed.

I really don't care for Sebastien Shaw.  He seems to be a Jeb knock off. I like Magnus am personal annoyed by it all. I wish they would have gotten someone different and I wish they had introduced Chris to tweezers! I wish they would have come up with something different that the HIPPE persona.

“Who’s Abner Collins?” Hallie Good question as I guess we will never know. I wonder who’s stuff is in the closet considering they are in a closed off part of the house.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/