Author Topic: PROS AND CONS OF 1897  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: PROS AND CONS OF 1897
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2002, 10:53:40 PM »
1897 isn't my favorite storyline, but contains many of my favorite characters and moments.  Magda, Count Petofi, Judith, Trask, Evan, Pans/ity, and of course QUENTIN especially early on when he's being a capricious, self-absorbed, utter rogue--and a damned sexy one at that.  

Seeing Tim Shaw when he comes back all gussied up is a special treat for us Don Briscoe fans.  Diana Millay has a superbly chilly turn as a new Laura with a strange link to the occult of Egypt,  Even the dreadful Roger Davis manages some fun moments as a psycho vamp on a mission.

And I thought KLS as Kitty was the best work by far she did on the show.  The only thing that compares is her very early weeks as Maggie in 1966.

Doubt she'll see it, but note to Miss Winthrop:  Angelique wanted to marry Quentin because her Dark Master had promised her that if she could win the love of a mortal man, she would be released from the world of darkness (or something like that).  She explains it in one scene with Barnabas towards the end of the storyline.  It's an interesting time because she is with Barnabas but her emotional focus lies elsewhere.

I also love it when Julia goes back.  They just waited way too long for that to happen!  DC should have shelled out for at least ONE split-screen scene between Julia and Magda!  I can just imagine the salty banter the two women would exchange.

Gothick

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2002, 01:14:50 AM »
Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob....you have this to say:

"As far as Donna McKechnie goes, I also enjoyed her performance on the show. I think you might have hit the nail on the head with the jealously theory. HA HA"

And I have this to say:

PFFFFT :)

Seriously, though, I could not stand her from the git go, when she showed up with Tim Shaw. (Spoilers ahead) -

All that Di-A-MONDS Tim crap of hers.  I stand by my assessment of her as a mewling, opportunistic slut.  Women like that are disgusting - and, remember, I was raised in a time when some mothers (like mine) encouraged that dumb down and bat your eyes bull.  Make yourself look like a fool to get the goods.  Blech.

Nancy

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2002, 03:06:04 AM »
Maybe there's a little jealousy/outrage going on here over the fact that Quentin fell for Amanda and not someone else you would have preferred more?

ANGELIQUE;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2002, 07:49:29 AM »
I just don't understand all the animosity towards Amanda Harris. Granted she didn't have the strongest character on the series but plenty of others were equally weak if not more so. As for her acting, I thought she was just fine, if not quite good. I can think of so many other actors who were so much worse: Lee Beery (Joanna Mills), Kathy Cody (Hallie Stokes), Betsy Durkin; I would argue even that Donna Wandrey (Roxanne) and Diana Millay (Laura) were worse actors.

Maybe there's a little jealousy/outrage going on here over the fact that Quentin fell for Amanda and not someone else you would have preferred more?

it has nothing to do with Quentin or the other actors
you mentioned i have nothing against her just don't enjoy her acting and don't think she would be any better in a strong role and  sorry find her voice as annoying as Hallie's and Jeff Clark. she makes me run from the room!
If someone else likes her acting that is wonderful. Lee Beery was  awful also and all the others you mentioned
just put her in the same category!My daughter gets so mad that i don't like some of her music! LOL it is all opinion! wait till she arrives!She is also on longer than the Icky Vicki isn't she?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2002, 11:07:12 AM »

No, I don't think so--I speak here for me only, of course.  The whole Amanda character/plot is terribly weak.  Not much if any setup, the romance makes little sense in terms of Quentin's established character.  The character of Amanda is so shallow you can see through poor Donna McKechnie.   And she's part of one of the more idiotic of the DS storylines.  Oh, and she has very, bad hair ;) (and yes, yes, I am very shallow)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga