Author Topic: Lara Parker's Third DS novel?  (Read 3423 times)

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Lara Parker's Third DS novel?
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:05:15 AM »
I remember reading somewhere ages ago that Lara Parker was working on a third DS novel, anybody have any info on that, is it still coming out, is there a tenative release date, anything?

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Parker's Third DS novel?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 03:13:22 AM »
At the past two Festivals, Parker has stated that the plot of her new novel will focus on Elizabeth as a young woman in the Roaring '20s.  Flapper Elizabeth meets the eternally young and handsome Quentin and strikes up a relationship with him.  Apparently, there will also be a second-string story in the present (1970s) about David's own romance.  Parker has not announced a release date for her novel.

ProfStokes

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 04:32:03 AM »
Be afraid.  Be very, very afraid.

G. (hiding under the covers)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 04:44:50 AM »
So Quentin and Liz....together?? OK...that means, if they are involved in a romantic way, Quentin will be having an affair with his..great niece..???  YUCK....but then again it's a messed up family... Roger married his grandma..

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
as anyone's who's read "the salem branch" can tell you parker is not above a signifigent yuck factor. why should this be any different.

incidentally that novel definitively soured me to any of lara's future fiction writing endeavours.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
YUCK....but then again it's a messed up family... Roger married his grandma..

Gives whole new meaning to the famous Louis Edmonds flub, "the incestors," doesn't it?
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 12:11:28 AM »
Thanks for the info. I really liked Angelique's Descent a lot. The Salem Branch I did have issues with, but it had some good parts too. Some of the things that happened that I didn't care for in tSB might be developed better in this next book.
It's surprising and refreshing that the focus is on Liz, Quentin and David instead of Barnabas, who has been center stage in all the other novels. Nice to see other characters get the spotlight too.
Liz and Quentin? Wow. I assume she won't know the real nature of their relationship, and we know Quentin has the morals of an alley cat, so it's not totally unthinkable. Maybe I've read too much V.C. Andrews lol, but it sounds interesting.
I thought Liz was supposed to be born around 1920, the time frame really seems off. I wonder if they'll have Quentin be Victoria's father? That would be an interesting twist, and I like that option better than any one I've ever come across. Of course, Viki should be born around 1940 but maybe Liz and Quentin will meet back up around then long enough for him to impregnate her.
David's romance doesn't sound very interesting, and I'm assuming that his girl will be the one from the end of tSB.
Lara Parker's been talking about this for a couple of years? Maybe it will get published soon. I'm glad to know that another DS book is in the works, and I am glad to get another book from Lara Parker, but I wish they would put out DS novels by other writers too. Maybe the new movie will make that an option, although I expect tptb will focus on the new movie instead of the tv series.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 12:33:07 AM »
In the show, the family Bible listed Elizabeth as being born in 1917.

Gerard

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 12:37:22 AM »
So if the book takes place in 1929 then Liz will be a 12 year old flapper! Very precocious our Liz! I do wish that the dates and ages were kept right. Couldn't Liz be going to speakeasies in the 30s instead?
I was thinking that Liz was about 50 when the show started, she was 49. When was Roger born? Seems like I read at one point her was supposed to be much younger and they tweaked his age to make them closer in age.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 03:34:26 AM »
When Harper-Collins started the new DS novel series, I was hoping to submit several novels to it.  I wrote one, called Watcher on the Hill, set in the then present day (around 2000), and then started on a second one called Ocassion of Sin.  It was designed to be an epic novel covering the Collins family from 1919 to 1966.  One of the subplots dealt with Elizabeth and it included where her father Jamison took a 15-year-old Elizabeth and a 12-year-old Roger on a voyage to Europe on the Ile de France (so Jamison could arrange to have booze brought to America legally on his shipping line as Prohibition was ending).  On the voygage, she meets a young man she falls in love with.  In 1944, while she serves as a WAC in WWII, she meets him again in NYC.  He's getting ready to sail for the Normandie invasion where he's killed. But before he leaves, one thing lead to another and she becomes pregnant and gives birth in February 1945 to a child who's guess who.  Her family, hoping to avoid a scandal, makes her give the child up the baby in "Winter" of 1945.

I was about 200 pages into the novel (it would probably go to 1,000 - a real Stephen King epic) when I stopped writing it because the Harper-Collins program collapsed).

Gerard

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 03:54:22 AM »
Those sound good. Maybe you could rework them as original novels the way Hawke's Harbor was. I'd love to have a new DS novel at least once a year, I would think there's a market for them, lots of tv tie in books get published regularly still.

Offline emeraldeyesonly

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »
In the show, the family Bible listed Elizabeth as being born in 1917.

The ages and dates that they gave us on DS were often so out there, that I usually just make up my own calculations.  It saves me from a lot of headaches trying to figure things out. lol. But if Lara Parker's new masterpiece has Liz as being old enough for romance in the 1920s, she must have been in her 60s/early 70s during the show's timeline. That is way out there.  [ghost_shocked]

Online Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »
Sounds  great to me  and a very interesting book !
                     Love   Anne [ghost_smiley]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 06:25:46 PM »
In the Shadows on the Walll bible for DS, Liz is supposed to be 56 and Roger is supposed to be 36 at the start of the series in1966, but that was somewhat altered on the actual series. However, as others have pointed out, it wasn't altered to make Liz older, but to make her younger. In ep #267 we see that Liz was born on February 28, 1917 and Roger on September 14, 1925 (which still gives them an age gap that was crucial in their relationship, but not one of 20 years) so at that point in 1967 they're 50 and 41 respectively. (And to my memory there was never anything else on the series that contradicted those ages.) So, it's definitely inconceivable on so many levels that Liz would be romantically involved with Quentin at any point in the 1920s. But then Angelique's Descent proved that Ms. Parker doesn't give a flying fig about DS canon (despite saying repeatedly that she was completely committed to staying within it) because she completely altered what anyone would consider an extremely significant scene between Barnabas and Angelique that took place on the show during the original 1795/1796 storyline by adding her own dialogue which completely flipped the dynamic between Angelique and Barnabas as it had been established originally!  [angryf]  But then again, anyone who's read that novel knows that the apparent main purpose of it was to hit the reader over the head again and again with how much of a victim Angelique was, so apparently it was canon be damned.  ::)

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »
For any issues of continuity in Angelique's Descent I take everything Angelique says with a grain of salt. After all, the main text is from Angelique's diary, and we only have Angelique's word that she's telling the truth.
I don't know if Lara Parker intended for us to doubt Angelique's version of things, but it seems like a very legitimate interpretation.
I hope Lara Parker reworks the story to keep Liz's age closer to being right. The story could probably be shifted from the 20s to late 30 without changing too much.