Author Topic: Daughters of Darkness Unleashed on Blu-ray  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Daughters of Darkness Unleashed on Blu-ray
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:22:25 PM »
Daughters of Darkness Unleashed on Blu-ray - Specs Inside

Great trailer that I don't believe I've ever seen before. And love the tag: "If you think these ladies are something, wait until you meet Mother. She's something else." Indeed she is!  [lghy]

David

Re: Daughters of Darkness Unleashed on Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]

Gotta love this film, it's weird, different, spooky as hell, & Karlen does nudity!
YOWSA!

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:19:27 PM »
You can see John Karlen's willie. Good movie.

Offline emeraldeyesonly

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:04 PM »
Seriously? I might have to check this movie out. lol  [covereyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:55 PM »
Back in the day shots from the movie were actually featured in Playboy. Not that I would have ever looked myself. No. Certainly not. I simply heard about them.  ;)  And, of course, the nudity in the film is really immaterial. It's the plot all the way!  [wink2]

But seriously, DoD is a very interesting film. And it would still be interesting without the nudity. Though no one could say that the nudity hurts the film.  [b003]

Here's the ad (which I don't think I've ever shared) that appeared in the Boston newspapers on August 4, 1971 (the same day NoDS opened):

Karlen also did an interview with the long defunct Boston Sunday Advertiser that became infamous in fandom in the '70s because many DS fans believed he said working on DS was working on "garbage." I have shared that interview before - but it was back in the VantageNet incarnation of the forum, so it's no longer available. But if there's interest to see it again, I'll try to dig it up...

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »
The bonus features include audio commentary with Karlen!!! Awesome! But alas, I've not made the jump to Blu-ray yet... So now I'm sad...
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 10:25:54 PM »
There have been a few regular DVD releases of DoD, and all have included Karlen's commentary (he actually briefly talks about DS and even Nancy Barrett [ghost_smiley]). You should be able to find one of them on any number of DVD outlets online.

It looks like the Blu-ray contains everything that's on the two disc Blue Underground DVD release. But anyone who's not interested in The Blood Spattered Bride and the combo-trailer can just buy the one disc Blue Underground release because it still contains all the DoD pertinent extras.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:39:33 PM »
Thanks for the info!! Looks like I'll be trying to find that now.

I also remember Lara Parker's commentary on Race With The Devil, she briefly mentions playing a witch on Dark Shadows!! That was very cool. That movie scared the crap out of me as a kid... After seeing the trailer for DOD, I probably would've ended up in a hospital if I saw that at 8 or 9 years old! Yikes.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 10:17:43 PM »
A review with some interesting comments: Daughters of Darkness
(I'm guessing the person who wrote the first comment will probably not be seeing the Depp/DS movie.  ::))

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Better late than never?  Entertainment Weekly touts this release in its current issue (p.71 or here).

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 11:42:51 PM »
I recently watched this movie for the first time. And of course I enjoy the nudity because I have always thought JK was a hot man. However, the script alone would have made me enjoy the movie because it's absolutely wonderful, colorful, European, and weird.  I adore this movie and Delphine is a triumphant. I love the hotel they shot in and I love to hear Johnny talk about the girls. ;) He also is very funny when the movie starts talking about not having had any rest and how old he looked and then the next scene, "I am young again" or something to that effect.  I like commentary when people actually comment and offer insight!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
Apparently the Blu-ray release has been delayed. The article that starts this topic says that it was supposed to come out in December of 2010 - but both EW's Web site (not the print issue, strangely) and Amazon are saying it doesn't come out until this March. Though regardless, it's great to see EW give it a B+.

And Taeylor, I share your pain when it comes to commentaries where people basically ramble about nothing and share no insight whatsoever. Hours we'll never get back.  ::)