Author Topic: Discussion on Josette's Portrait  (Read 3215 times)

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on Josette's Portrait
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 04:46:06 PM »
I always thought it strange that the prtrait looks nothing like KLS. It's still a lovely portrait though.
Also obvious that they revised Josette and Jeremiah as the direct ancestors.
Barnabas was drawn to Maggie because she looked like Josette, and then later to Vicki because of similarities he was in their personalities.
As for Daphne in 1991 Revival series, wasn't she supposed to be Roger and Liz's niece, presumably the daughter of an unseen and unmentioned but presumably dead brother, so she should be Daphne Collins, right? Or am I missing something?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 05:03:26 PM »
at lot of DS almost gets told in reverse. a story or character gets mentioned as an abstract concept and only later does it become an actualized flesh and blood character.

that's especially true of josette. she was an idea. a legend. a ghost long before anyone thought she'd end up a real character. so the props department must have bought the painting of "josette" somewhere with that intention and didn't have a portrait of kathryn leigh scott painted the way they did with barnabas' painting and jonathan frid.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 03:50:44 AM »
As for Daphne in 1991 Revival series, wasn't she supposed to be Roger and Liz's niece, presumably the daughter of an unseen and unmentioned but presumably dead brother, so she should be Daphne Collins, right? Or am I missing something?

That's the sort of explanation that the audience pretty much has to come up with on their own thanks to the prop department's bungle, but the writers intended Daphne to be a Stoddard. But other than the plaque on her grave, and I *think* a reference somewhere along the way to her being Liz' niece, there's actually no specific explanation given on the series for how Daphne is actually related...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:58 AM »
This is getting off-topic to the point where I considered starting a new topic, but...

Was any purpose going to be served by having Daphne be a Stoddard?

And another off-topic matter...

(and i believe it was established that kitty hampshire was in fact josette reincarnated. or was she actually josette? i forget)
I don't believe it was ever established that Kitty was the reincarnation of Josette, and I was watching pretty carefully for definite statements when I was watching that part of 1897 last year for the Watching Project.  Barnabas said Kitty was Josette's reincarnation, but that doesn't make it so.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »
Re Daphne:  In HODS, aside from Willie, isn't Daphne the first victim of  Barnabas, and wasn't she Liz's secretary and just a distant cousin?  

I am probably so totally wrong on this.....ah, the 70's...... [ghost_wink]

Modification:

Hey, not bad for a 70's head!     She was  Daphne Budd (that name was going through my head) and she was Liz's Secretary, but not listed as a cousin.    Played by Lisa Richards.    So, she was morphed into a cousin in the 91 revival and yet, never appeared on the original show, other than the name (there were 2 Daphne Harridges -- 3 if you want to split hairs, and another Daphne, earlier on, correct?).   

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 01:17:31 PM »
re: Kitty -- thought she was the reincarnation of Josette, and not the shool teacher, Rachel Drummond.   Or was this mojo from Petofi?

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »
Barnabas said Kitty was Josette's reincarnation, but that doesn't make it so.

LOL! Most things were usually the opposite of whatever Barn said they were.

The last time I watched 1897, I was convinced Kitty was simply possessed by Josette's ghost. I think the Kitty/Josette issue--like much of DS--was left open to interpretation.
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
BUT WAIT.     

[spoiler]didn't Josette save Barnabas?  pulled him back to the future and to the kearn? right, right after Kitty killed herself with the poison.     [/spoiler]  [ghost_shocked]

so, okay, she was a ghost and kitty was a host body?   

i'm so confused......

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
The last time I watched 1897, I was convinced Kitty was simply possessed by Josette's ghost. I think the Kitty/Josette issue--like much of DS--was left open to interpretation.

Actually, I believe the scene in Ep #874 between Kitty and Quentin[spoiler](who is in Petofi's body, has the powers of the hand, and uses them on Kitty)[/spoiler]pretty much shows conclusively that Kitty is Josette's actual reincarnation.

BUT WAIT.    

[spoiler]didn't Josette save Barnabas?  pulled him back to the future and to the kearn? right, right after Kitty killed herself with the poison.     [/spoiler]  [ghost_shocked]

The Leviathans[spoiler]sent Barnabas back to 1969,[/spoiler]not Josette.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
Kitty had several personal psychic epiphanies that established over a couple of weeks that she was Josette's reincarnation.  They made it fairly clear to the viewer that this wasn't Angelique or Petofi messing with Kitty's mind; it was Kitty's own remembrance of a past life, brought about by her visit to Collinwood and eventually her meeting with Barnabas.

My favorite thing about this particular storyline is every time Barn starts nattering on and on to Julia about how "I have found my Josette again," Julia looks like she's about ready to separate Barn's head from his body.  The eye-rolling reaches a truly sublime level.

G.

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 10:53:22 PM »
My favorite thing about this particular storyline is every time Barn starts nattering on and on to Julia about how "I have found my Josette again," Julia looks like she's about ready to separate Barn's head from his body.  The eye-rolling reaches a truly sublime level.

My eyes roll right along with Julia's. The lost Josette thing was heartbreaking and bittersweet in the beginning, but by the time of the 1897 story, and two Josette wannabes, it had lost it's appeal for me. I kept hoping Rachel or Kitty would chuck that music box at his head.   [ghost_grin]
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 03:36:38 AM »
Liz mentions in passing early in the series something about her grandmother. Since her bio paternal grandmother was Laura and was presumed dead, I have heard specualtion that before Barnabas changed time Kitty married Edward and was the grandmother Liz remembered fondly.
Of course, this could be Liz's maternal grandmother she's remembering. I think it has something to do with Liz having jewelry her grandmother gave her. Still, I like the idea of Kitty becomes a Collins and having a good life complete with grandchildren, before Barnabas comes back and spoils it for her.
Odd that Josette would be reincarnated and then come back as a ghost in her old persona.