Author Topic: David Selby in Bram Stoker's Dracula for LA Theatre Works  (Read 4121 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: David Selby in Bram Stoker's Dracula for LA Theatre Works
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 05:13:06 AM »
Afraid I have some rather bad news, if Ben Cross's Facebook page is to be believed. One of the admins posted a message about 17 hours ago indicating that he will not be able to do the LATW performances due to another role that's come up.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 06:15:08 AM »
 [cryb]

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 04:40:06 PM »
Simon Templeman will replace Ben Cross in LATW's Dracula. See the link below for a discount code for $25 tickets:

http://conta.cc/mmZoHe

Please note that this was distributed when Ben Cross was still in the cast, so, while his name does appear, he will not be performing.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »
Simon Templeman will replace Ben Cross in LATW's Dracula.

'The Reaper' on Angel.  But Cross' departure is disappointing just the same.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 05:17:12 PM »
But Cross' departure is disappointing just the same.

Definitely! It would have been amazing for Selby and Cross to have worked together. But maybe another day...

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 06:20:32 PM »
I was hoping, briefly, that by some stroke of luck Martin Landau would replace Cross. I was planning to see him and Humbert Allan Astredo in Dracula in the '80s. I wound up studying in the UK for a semester and was unable to go. After seeing Landua in Ed Wood, I was crossing my fingers. Barbara Bain was also in at least one LA Theater Works production.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
A review--

Most of us already know the story of Dracula, so one might wonder if LATW’s radio play can hold the interest of its listeners, and my answer is yes, absolutely.  Charles Morey’s serious yet family-friendly adaptation of Stoker’s novel is, at times, both chilling and thrilling.  Morey used the novel’s reliance on letters, journals and ship logs to great advantage by having his characters instead do lots of narrating—a ploy that seems perfectly suited for a radio broadcast.

The production itself was breathtaking, and particularly impressive was how the cast mingled fluidly.  LATW apparently had a ball with the Dracula theme, with goodies handed out to the audience (bat rings to the ladies and full fangs for the males).  I loved the bats hanging at the exit doors during intermission that disappeared afterward.  At the entrance to the theater, a sign read:  No food, drink, or bags of blood allowed.

Big fans of the book might notice a few tweaks to the story.  For example, the character of Quincey Morris was eliminated, or rather, absorbed into other characters.  The ending of the book, unfortunately, had to be streamlined for the sake of the performance.  There’s also a character credited as a “tart” that proves to be important to the climax of the story, but if she was in the novel then I’ve completely forgotten her.  However, the actress playing her (Denise Carole) was quite memorable.

The entire cast, as with all LATW productions, is extremely talented.  Simon Templeman as the Count was genuinely creepy, but I wish I could have seen more shades to his character—a trace of the character’s aristocracy, perhaps, not to mention sexual power.  Oh, what Ben Cross could have done with the role!  There’s a moment when Dracula lets out a blood-curdling howl (but thankfully, the snarling wasn’t overdone, a la the 1991 Barnabas).

David Selby, looking very handsome in a dark 3-piece suit and gold watch chain, narrates at the start and then shines as Van Helsing.  His Dutch accent wasn’t always consistent, yet his intensity was.  And John Glover was outstanding as Renfield.  As you listen on KPCC or via the internet, picture him dressed in a nightshirt and robe despite the conservative dress on the rest of the cast.  Selby, btw, once again graciously took the time to greet his fans after the show.

Since some actors played multiple roles, the actress who capably played Lucy Westenra’s mother also appeared as one of Dracula’s brides, but I felt her mature voice just did not suit the latter role.  Otherwise, all the casting was perfection.

So, you’re going to tune in when it airs on NPR, right?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »
Wow.  Thanks for that review, Midnite.  Sounds like a wonderful evening all around!

I've seen two adaptations of Dracula now (one from the 1960s) where the Count was apparently defeated, but Mina was revealed at the very end, in a freeze-frame style moment, as having become a vampire.  No wonder the makers of the League of Extraordinary Gent fiasco felt they had carte blanche to depict her that way.

G.