Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1058  (Read 1219 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1058
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1058
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:20:30 AM »
Aha!... the first of, I believe, three DS references (by PT Roxanne in this case, as she picks up impressions from her scarf) to Julia as a "tall woman", which she clearly isn't, unless you count her hair later on.   The only possible reason I've ever been able to think of for this is a diva-ish demand on Grayson's part because she wanted to be thought of as tall.

It's a very silly mistake that Barnabas makes here.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:39:14 AM »
Magnus, Edward called Julia tall in 1897 - episode 859.  Somewhere or other (I searched but couldn't find it) I believe Julia99 has said Sam Hall thought of his wife as tall, so he would have characters describing her that way.  I didn't think to note whether Sam Hall wrote today's episode.

Yes, Barnabas makes a silly mistake.  I was looking at that scarf, and trying to imagine Hoffman wearing it, and failing.  Too fancy.

Donna Wandrey has such big teeth that she should be playing a werewolf.

I'd like to hear a conversation between Kathryn Leigh Scott and Donna Wandrey, or alternatively between Maggie Collins and Roxanne, though I think the latter conversation might make me throw up.  Maggie and Roxanne are so hopelessly, uncritically, unquestioningly devoted their men!  KLS and Wandrey could have a fascinating discussion, I'm sure, about how to play a sweet young thing begging a vampire to bite her, because both have done it - Wandrey today and KLS in 1968, in episode 420.  I'm sure Jonathan Frid would be far too much of a gentlemen to say which performance he preferred.

What's going to happen to parallel time Collinwood?  It looks as if will be left vacant forever the way the Old House was in our time.  If Quentin wants to go away and never see it again, it could be given to the town of Collinsport to do what they want with it, but I imagine Quentin wants to think of the whole thing lying idle and falling apart.  Someday a kid will be seriously injured or maybe even killed exploring it, and Quentin, years older but no wiser, will tell the lawyers he doesn't want to talk about it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »
And another voiceover promo that makes sense:

"Barnabas Collins and Maggie close Collinwood for good unaware that there is still one person left locked in the dungeon room on ABC TV's Dark Shadows next..."

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »
I just rewatched this episode...I can't believe that it never occured to Barnabas to give something that he knew for sure belonged to the real Julia and not the PT Hoffman for Roxanne to use. I think Robin is right when she said his lust for Roxanne is overriding his common sense. He should have realized much sooner that the article of clothing he gave to Roxanne more likely belonged to Angelique's devoted housekeeper than his devoted doctor.

As upset as he may be over Julia's disappearance and supposed death, the thing I find more appalling is that he really does seem more attention-centered over Roxanne, a woman he's only known a few episodes and hardly knows at all, rather than over Julia, a woman he's known for two years, in this episode. I really do find this disgusting.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
@IluvBarnabas:  Excellent point.  And just imagine how those of us who had been watching since 1968 (or earlier) felt when we got to the end of 1840 and were treated to the spectacle of [spoiler]Barnabas declaring that Angelique had been his one true love all along!  Talk about sick, AND sickening![/spoiler]

My biggest complaint/regret about the final months of DS is that the fallout/resolution from this event was never shown or told.  Still, at the end of that story, note that it is JULIA who is taking care of Barnabas and making sure he doesn't bleed to death or whatever...

G.