Author Topic: Okay, Stupid Question about Frid  (Read 965 times)

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
Okay, Stupid Question about Frid
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:31:28 PM »
please don't laugh....... [ghost_blink]

In the show did he wear prosthetics on his ears to look more like a bat or are those his real ears?   I often wonder, but i noticed when [spoiler]Barnabas went to kill Julia at Collinwood[/spoiler] his ears were pretty prominent and i was trying to discern on my 40 inch tv if they were his or not.    it was still hard to tell.      Can anyone enlighten me?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Okay, Stupid Question about Frid
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:41:06 PM »
Of course Mr. Frid's ears are unusual to start with, being place a bit diagonally on his head, and I think lower than usual... (closet Minbari?)  ... but I remember lately seeing a shot or two where they stuck out more than usual, when he was busy vamping.   If it was intentional, he didn't do it very often.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BryceLozier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:04:35 AM »
Okay, sseeing this thread encourages me to share something I personally have noticed about Frid. On one of the blooper-outtake DVDs by MPI, there is a segment where Frid appeared as a guest on the Merv Griffin Show. There, out of character, whenever Frid spoke, he appeared to have a slight speech impediment (namely, a lisp). HOWEVER, on DS, in character Frid never showed the slightest speech problem. What's up with this?

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:40:02 AM »
I had the pleasure off attending one of Jonathan's "Readers Theater's" during the summer of '91.  He spoke with me briefly after the performance and showed no indication of a speech impediment.  He has admitted being a "slow study" and this may be because he not only had to learn his lines, but also deal with a lisp.  Who knows. [ghost_undecided]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:12 AM »
I'm on MPI tape 15, and they've given him bat ears on the cover.   As for the lisp, he doesn't have one in the bits of interviews or readings that I've seen.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:30:28 AM »
I've never heard any trace of a lisp in Frid's speech.

As for ears sticking out, I always notice them in the 1967 portrait of Barnabas in the Old House living room, but I never notice them on Barnabas himself.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »
In the episode in question at the top of this thread, I often thought that the picture seemed slightly distorted/stretched horizontally, as if a wide-angle lens were used for Frid's close-ups.  That could be creating the illusion that his ears are more prominent than they actually are.