Author Topic: CEASE AND DESIST FROM JONATHAN FRID/2010 FEST DVDS DISCONTINUED  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
Re: CEASE AND DESIST FROM JONATHAN FRID/2010 FEST DVDS DISCONTINUED
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
This may sound ludicrous, but is giving away the DVD's for free still constitute copyright infringement?

The reason I ask this is that there a number of fan films for Star Trek that have an arrangement with Paramount studios that as long as they don't make any monetary gains directly from DVD sales they don't care. The DVD is free if you buy one of their other products... posters, toys, etc. 

I remember around 10 years ago I frequently saw on ebay sales for audio or video "bootleg" items consisting of a the purchase of a t-shirt or even a ball-point pen the receiving the illicit item for "free" as it were. Now ebay is so huge and much harder to police, that type of ROIO (your new word of the day= Recording Of Indeterminate Origin) is sold so blatantly now its mind boggling.  Plain old TV broadcasts or camcorder audience-shot concerts are presented in fancy DVD packaging and sold as a legitimate product all day long.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2010, 07:57:06 PM »
My understanding has always been that if you're swapping copies of stuff for free with buddies, it comes under the rubric of fair use.  I guess technically you would have to go into a court of law with the whole shebang though to try and get a decision on that and each case would have its own dynamics.

Is Frid going to do his own releases of the bootleg stage recordings?

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
You cannot get around copyright just because you are not making a profit.  There are definitions of fair use on the internet, but to sum it up very briefly, its purposes are limited to criticism, commentary, news reporting, scholarship, teaching, or research.

Sometimes a company will look the other way, and Robot Quentin's mention of an "agreement" made with Paramount may be a case of that.  MPI is an example of one that does not look the other way when they have knowledge of copyright infringement of their DVDs.  I suspect that DS fandom might be heading in that direction, possibly due to pre-production of the movie-- this is the first year, AFAIK, in which a clause concerning copyrighted material was added to the agreement for dealer's tables, and "suits" were seen checking out the room.  (Though I still noticed photos being sold that I believed to be of questionable origin, but that's me.)  To quote Dylan, I feel a change comin'.

Back to the topic:  The subject is getting repetitious, so please post only if you have something new to add.  Thanks!

David

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2010, 07:36:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure this falls under the new material category:

I'm going to use my vast writing skills (he said modestly) to draft a letter for Joe to send to the attorney making an offer to work together on releasing & marketing Joe's footage.