Author Topic: Timeouts - August 2010  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Timeouts - August 2010
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:55:35 PM »
I'm getting what appear to be timeouts sometimes when I navigate within these boards.  Mostly it's been when I try to get "All Unread Topics" (I haven't been able to do that for a couple of days), but I got another one just now the first time I tried to get to this Testing board.  I've tried Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer, from both at home and at work.  I haven't recorded all the error messages I've gotten, but some are:

Database Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
File: /home/content/m/y/s/mysteriousb/html/SMF/Sources/Recent.php
Line: 501

Database Error: Query execution was interrupted
File: /home/content/m/y/s/mysteriousb/html/SMF/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 706Database Error: MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/content/m/y/s/mysteriousb/html/SMF/Sources/Load.php
Line: 2057

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://www.dsboards.com/SMF/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

The first time I noticed this was Monday night.  Is anybody else seeing this problem?  I see that in a previous topic on sluggishness, MB said: "Sometimes the forum is slow because of something I'm doing."  If MB is doing what I oh-so-gently suggested he do, then I may regret opening my big mouth.

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Timeouts - August 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
I'm not having this problem, though I'm having problems on Facebook and elsewhere.   IE just shuts down a lot.    On this forum, there's usually at least one stretch of 25 minutes per day/night where the window DS Forums is in freezes.   I go and do other things while waiting.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »
The problems Lydia cites are normal, unfortunately. The forum doesn't have exclusive access to the MySQL server, so we have to compete for access with our host's many other sites that also access it. And if one of them is taking a long time to do whatever it's doing, well, we get bumped out. Thankfully, though, that's the sort of problem that shouldn't occur all that often (I've only seen it twice in the last year or so - though most recently last week) - but there's nothing that can be done from the forum's side of things to eliminate it. The only potential solution is for our hosts to add more MySQL servers - and I know that they already run several, so that's probably not in the cards in the near future.

As for Magnus' problem with freezing, I think I've mentioned before that that is most likely caused by using an older computer and Win98...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:54:41 AM »
I haven't been able to use All Unread Topics even once since I posted before.  Looks like it's never going to change.  It's a real, major pain.  Sorry, I know there's nothing you can do about it.  I'm just venting.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »
Gee, it's coming up for me - but maybe whatever was going on before has fixed itself.

I honestly thought you were going to mention that you've been having timeout problems again because I've been experiencing them off and on for the past few days. Not so far today - but for some unknown reason they've mostly happened between 4pm and 7pm ET and rarely at any other time...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:19:35 AM »
I've tried several times since I originally posted on this to get the All Unread Topics.  As I said, it hasn't worked even once, no matter what time of day it is when I try.  I would think there was something wrong on my end, but, as I said originally, it doesn't work from either my home or my workplace.  It was a very useful feature.  Drat!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:41:58 AM »
It's still working for me in Firefox, IE, Google Chrome and Safari in Windows, and Firefox, Google Chrome, Epiphany and Konqueror in Linux - and I've tried it on three different computers. How bizarre. I honestly have no idea what to tell you.  [idontknow]

Truthfully, though, I don't like the feature because, as we've mentioned before, it can miss posts. Why? Who knows? Hopefully that will be something that will be fixed in SMF 2.0. (Speaking of which, the third release candidate of 2.0 came out back in March, so the official release may not be that far off - and we'll be upgrading to it once it is released...)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:00:21 AM »
Thanks for checking, MB!

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 08:52:02 AM »
I don't suppose Unread Posts could be working, but just taking an extremely long time to do it....?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
The amount of time it would take would all depend on how many unread posts an individual member might have. And to check this out I just logged in as a member who hasn't logged in in over a year and tested the All Unread feature. Over 740 page links came up (meaning over 22,200 unread posts) in just over 4 minutes. And considering the system had to check against almost 206,000 posts and had to come up with over 22,200 unread posts, that seems pretty fast. But, of course, the time it takes for the feature to complete is going to vary given the load our host's MySQL server is dealing with at the time any one member will use the feature. A heavy load will mean longer time. And. of course, more unread posts will mean a longer time to locate them.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:40:57 PM »
Monday afternoon Central time, I had maybe about an hour or so where I couldn't get the website to load at all. Didn't really think about it too much. It did come back after I tried around 2 hours later. I use Firefox almost exclusively.  No problems since then.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »
Gee, I'm surprised you couldn't get on at all. As I mentioned, there were timeout issues for a few days (though I didn't experience any yesterday and haven't today so far), but I wasn't ever unable to access the forum at all. I guess I mustn't have tried around the time you were having problems.

Lucky you to have picked that time to visit.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
I'm now able to get All Unread Topics.  I had been thinking the problem might be related to some glitch from when MB re-organized the Caption This! and Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) boards, since it started right after he did that, and I was wondering if the function was getting stuck on one particular topic.  So I opened up some of the topics labeled New in that area.  As of yesterday morning, All Unread Topic works for me, and when I first got it, it claimed I had 42 pages of unread topics, including Caption This! Topics from 2006 on which I was the last poster.  This leads me to believe that I was right in my diagnosis, but I can't prove it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 06:02:15 PM »
Interesting. But other new boards have been created and old topics in which you've posted, including being the last post, have been moved to them (particularly whenever the Current Talk and Calendar Events / Announcements boards are archived) without causing problems with the All Unread Posts feature. It seems odd that reorganizing the Caption This! and Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blanks boards might have caused problems when the reorganizations was the same sort of situation - particularly because it didn't seem to cause problems for anyone else (coincidentally, the member whose account I checked out had also posted on those boards). But who knows...  [idontknow]